Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we have Uribe, our manager and GM should demand this guy spend the winter in Chicago and get him in shape.

My gawd, they are paying him so much money and these big leaguers just steal the money by

being big, fat slobs.

Get in shape, Uribe, stay in shape and listen to your hitting coach and you might actually hit

.275 and knock in some runs.

The Sox should monitor this guy like a hawk and get him in shape. Then he will produce.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Now that we have Uribe, our manager and GM should demand this guy spend the winter in Chicago and get him in shape.

My gawd, they are paying him so much money and these big leaguers just steal the money by

being big, fat slobs.

Get in shape, Uribe, stay in shape and listen to your hitting coach and you might actually hit

The Sox should monitor this guy like a hawk and get him in shape. Then he will produce.

Actually he should of ignored his hitting coach, and kept what Hrniak had him do. It actually worked.

They should chain him to a treadmill and run his ass off. Put him on a diet and exercise him. Then call Hrniak.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)

being big, fat slobs.

What makes you think he doesn't listen to Walker? Lift and pull baby.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
No chance. When a GM comes out and says he has concerns about his health, he isn't then going to sign him.

And on the other side I'm sure the player would be oh so happy to entertain an offer after just being called (sic) broken down.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
I don't know where these magic players are coming from that are better/younger/cheaper than Uribe that you want.

Tejada's not coming.

Eckstein's hurt and older.

Greene's not leaving SD.

Wilson and Everett can't hit for average OR power.

Vizquel's too old.

Furcal might come.

While costing us prime prospects or a quality SP in Garland. Also, he's 13.7 mil a year, declining, and is a notorious "me" guy.

Uribe costs the Sox no players to get and 4.5 mil isn't bad for a SS of his defensive caliber.

I understand your frustration, but the offseason's far from over.

I don't care who replaces him (minus Eckstein). This guy is an auto-matic out in the lineup. I would rather see a minor leaguer play there than him, although I know we have no prospects at the position. I just don't care who it is because atleast we could try someone and see if we could get lucky rather than have a player like Uribe who you pretty much know is gonna hit .240/.280/.390 and play up-and-down defense at best. I hope just as much as the next guy that I look like an idiot next year and he ends up having a stellar season, but come on, do you REALLY think thats going to happen? I just don't.

I honestly have no problem with the possibility of Uribe as our starting shortstop come March.

We're not winning anything, anyways. It's better to limit our commitment than trade for or sign a player outside the organization.

I'm more concerned with how Williams restocks our farm system. I'll be furious if, one, Garland remains on this team (he should have been traded before August); and two, if any package includes marginal major league talent. The latter being a distinct possibility because Williams is intent of competing this season. Our fans probably wouldn't accept anything less, unfortunately.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I just have a sick feeling that we will be signing all bargain players that KW thinks could be big rewards for us. Let's be honest this team NEEDS a Torii Hunter in CF (or Rowand) and another impact bat in the lineup to be above average. Not to menton one more starter and a s*** load in the pen, with all these areas needing improvement, I can only see KW going the bargain route.

I'll be furious if, one, Garland remains on this team (he should have been traded before August); and two, if any package includes marginal major league talent.

I think you are going to get your wish, but why would you be furious if inning-eater Garland is on our team next year?

Don't understand.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)
I think you are going to get your wish, but why would you be furious if inning-eater Garland is on our team next year?

Don't understand.

He's thinking along the lines of every smart WSox fan in the fact that Garland will be gone after next year anyway in all liklihood. Why not pick up a few arms for him before he goes?

Nippert, Owings and Pena from Arizona is a deal that I would target for Garland. I'd settle for Nippert, Cruz and Pena if I had to.

We'd add a potential set up man in Pena and a guy like Nippert would compete for the 5th Spot. Owings would be in our rotation for sure, while Cruz would provide another BP/LR arm.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)

Don't understand.

Kenny has attempted to trade Garland how many times. What scenario do you really think that Kenny is giving Garland a large fat check for 4 to 5 years. If you are not going to sign him, then get as much on the trade market as you can get. How hard is this to understand.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
I just have a sick feeling that we will be signing all bargain players that KW thinks could be big rewards for us. Let's be honest this team NEEDS a Torii Hunter in CF (or Rowand) and another impact bat in the lineup to be above average. Not to menton one more starter and a s*** load in the pen, with all these areas needing improvement, I can only see KW going the bargain route.

I don't understand all these sick "feelings"... the facts are staring fans in the face. The Sox have zero chips to play with, nearly zero talent coming down the pipe, and zero desire to spend $150 million for an established roster. As I said this time last year the Sox are going to go into rebuilding mode. They will not compete for the postseason for at least the next 2 years.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
Kenny has attempted to trade Garland how many times. What scenario do you really think that Kenny is giving Garland a large fat check for 4 to 5 years. If you are not going to sign him, then get as much on the trade market as you can get. How hard is this to understand.

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch....

For some, it just never gets old. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I don't understand all these sick "feelings"... the facts are staring fans in the face. The Sox have zero chips to play with, nearly zero talent coming down the pipe, and zero desire to spend $150 million for an established roster. As I said this time last year the Sox are going to go into rebuilding mode. They will not compete for the postseason for at least the next 2 years.

They did not rebuild last year and it doesn't look like they are planning on doing it this year.

The disssapointing thing to me with the management stance is they say on one hand how they will spend the money to make the team a contender, but on the other hand won't keep our own established players, who are as good as anyone on the FA market, if not better and let them walk or trade them for a bunch of lower minor league talent. I think we have a winning ballclub with who we have and add some folks in the bullpen. We can sign a FA for CF.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
The disssapointing thing to me with the management stance is they say on one hand how they will spend the money to make the team a contender, but on the other hand won't keep our own established players, who are as good as anyone on the FA market, if not better and let them walk or trade them for a bunch of lower minor league talent. I think we have a winning ballclub with who we have and add some folks in the bullpen. We can sign a FA for CF.

We just resigned Uribe. How can you say that? :D

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
They did not rebuild last year and it doesn't look like they are planning on doing it this year.

And it got them soooo far in the playoffs, didn't it?

And to clarify... "the Sox are going to go into rebuilding mode".

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)

If at any point in the last 10 years we have had a chance to slash and burn it was the last 6 months. When you are looking at a 90 loss dog, with fans upset about how the team is playing. It was probably one of the better times, to rebuild in mass. However Kenny wants to rebuild in place. The only way to do this, is to reshuffle the deck. This will mean a one for one. If a large contract comes in, a large contract must leave. The payroll isnt going to go up significantly, and Kenny isnt going to rebuild in the traditional sense. This will mean a longer process, and a more costly in FAs. Jerry and Kenny dont want to have another "these kids can play" mode where no one come to the park, and their revenues are hit. I am sure based on the last season, that season tickets renewals are down a bit.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
And it got them soooo far in the playoffs, didn't it?

And to clarify... "the Sox are going to go into rebuilding mode".

If they are going to do it, they need to do it right. Start trading the established players right now for good, very good, prospects. Don't half ass it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
If they are going to do it, they need to do it right. Start trading the established players right now for good, very good, prospects. Don't half ass it.

If they are going to do it, they better do it like you state above. My worry is that Kenny is trying to rebuild in place.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)

Exactly. And the sooner the better is ideal.