Sox's hunt for OF is on

spiderman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)
Just curious, but if the Sox get Hunter and have a LF of one (or two) of Owens/Stewart/Crisp, that would be an all black OF. Now, when was the last time Chicago had an all black OF?

I actually thought about that as well, and I don't know the answer to that, but I remember Dye being the only one on the team for a while.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
Me too. He's cheaper then hunter and fulfills a need of a guy who can get on base and not strike out a lot.

I'm surprised the Sox aren't pushing harder for him.

Bob

Well, there's always the question...how do we know they're not? He didn't declare as a FA until yesterday either, so no one could really negotiate with him until now. And I think pretty much everything with him has been speculation so far.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
Just curious, but if the Sox get Hunter and have a LF of one (or two) of Owens/Stewart/Crisp, that would be an all black OF. Now, when was the last time Chicago had an all black OF?

Since the 80's

1995: Tim Raines, Lance Johnson, Mike Devereaux

1994: Raines, Johnson, Bo Jackson

1993: Raines, Johnson, Ellis Burkes

1981: Ron Leflore, Chet Lemon, Harold Baines

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)

I don't mean this in a negative way towards you, but really, what difference does it make?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Well, there's always the question...how do we know they're not? He didn't declare as a FA until yesterday either, so no one could really negotiate with him until now. And I think pretty much everything with him has been speculation so far.

Well hopefully they're going after him and hard. Worst case is drive the price up for the Cubs who are the likely frontrunners. Best case is we found our lead off hitter and LFer.

Go dump Contreras, trade Garland for a good CFer and good reliever and sign the Japanese reliever and I'd feel a lot more comfortable about this team.

Bob

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
what RockRaines said...

With the lack of black ballplayers in MLB these days, that makes it seem like a moot point. You saw my response to Rock. Your remark could be interpretted as a backhanded slap at the Sox because they haven 't had a completely black outfield for several years. I was hoping that wasn't the case and that you'd clarify.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 07:19 AM)
When was the last time the Sox were outwardly looking to spend huge dollars on a FA? Its been a while. It will be more interesting what the under the radar moves are...

Bingo!

I have total faith that Hunter will be running around center field at the Cell next season. I just think it is a very low chance it will be in a White Sox uniform.

Once we get our CF be it Hunter, Fukodome, Jones, or whatever the next rumor is, I wouldn't mind signing Lofton to play left for next year. He is still very solid offensively and would give us a lead off man. Defensively he has slipped so he shouldnt be an option in CF anymore.

Theres always the possibilty that a trade for Furcal and Pierre (not preferable) gets made as well as soon as the Dodgers sign Rowand.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Once we get our CF be it Hunter, Fukodome, Jones, or whatever the next rumor is, I wouldn't mind signing Lofton to play left for next year. He is still very solid offensively and would give us a lead off man. Defensively he has slipped so he shouldnt be an option in CF anymore.

Theres always the possibilty that a trade for Furcal and Pierre (not preferable) gets made as well as soon as the Dodgers sign Rowand.

You want to trade for Pierre, why exactly. He makes lots of money, and is a bad bad baseball player. So bad in fact, that one year after he signed a deal with the Dodgers, they are looking to sign another CF to replace him. I would rather have Owens out in CF than that.

No doubt but as far as I know, their intentions are nothing less then acquiring the best player available. Johan seems to be their guy.

I don't ever hear anything about their vets going. All I ever hear is how they want a different guy @ 3rd. Why when you can play LaRoche? Or how they want a new OF, and want to deal Kemp cuz of his "clubhouse" issues. Move Billingsley and Broxton, or Kershaw. It's like...Why???

I just don't understand it but if someone can find me a Juan Pierre trade rumor, I'd like to see it. All I have seen is the Dodgers having intentions of moving him to LF. Just weird out of them.

I guess they really want to win now.