Over 21 Thread - Anything Alcohol - :-)

Texsox

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
oh man, me and my roomate went through a bottle of that one night, a full bottle. We were miserable and we sat on our balcony until like 7am.

Oops

Me and my buddy went through a full bottle Wednesday night before going out for the worst bar night of the year but we had ourselves an amazing time.

Mixed: Jameson and Ginger Ale is amazing by the way.

Beer: Guiness, only in Europe though (preferably Ireland). Murhpys in a can in the states. New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Wine: Eye of the beholder

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
Me and my buddy went through a full bottle Wednesday night before going out for the worst bar night of the year but we had ourselves an amazing time.

Mixed: Jameson and Ginger Ale is amazing by the way.

Beer: Guiness, only in Europe though (preferably Ireland). Murhpys in a can in the states. New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Wine: Eye of the beholder

New Glarus is a brewery I give a lot of credit to for pulling off novel but stylistly faithful versions of lagers and ales equally well. I wish I could get their stuff with more regularity.

I had a farmhouse ale from them probably 5 years ago that I think was the beer that became what they are now calling Spotted Cow. The same evening I had an unfiltered lager from them that they just referred to as a zywiecbier that I think is what they are now calling the Yokel lager. They were both really lively, fresh interpretations that used a combination of European and domestic ingredients to great effect. I couldn't believe both beers came from the same brewery, as typically it seems that breweries that nail their lagers fall down on the ales and vice versa.

Mmmm.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
New Glarus is a brewery I give a lot of credit to for pulling off novel but stylistly faithful versions of lagers and ales equally well. I wish I could get their stuff with more regularity.

I had a farmhouse ale from them probably 5 years ago that I think was the beer that became what they are now calling Spotted Cow. The same evening I had an unfiltered lager from them that they just referred to as a zywiecbier that I think is what they are now calling the Yokel lager. They were both really lively, fresh interpretations that used a combination of European and domestic ingredients to great effect. I couldn't believe both beers came from the same brewery, as typically it seems that breweries that nail their lagers fall down on the ales and vice versa.

Mmmm.

You pulling that from memory or tasting notes?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
You pulling that from memory or tasting notes?

Both, sort of. That was in 2002, so I had stopped taking exhaustive notes a few years prior to that. It was on a Thanksgiving trip back to Chicago when I was making a point of drinking as much Goose Island, Three Floyds and New Glarus brews as I could though, so they were definitely the objects of a hard target search.

But I also was able to look back at an earlier post I made here about the New Glarus and another one I had made on a homebrew board back in 2002 shortly after I had sampled those ("Gravity Thrills" = me, as if you couldn't tell by the typos). Great recipe formulation tools site that I used to be a junkie at until the demands of the stoopid real world put homebrewing on hiatus. :angry:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
I plan to get acquainted with Mr. Smirnoff in about two hours.

Smirnoff is absolutely brutal unless you're mixing drinks with it, and even then I'd prefer other vodkas. There are SOOOO many better ones out there. You might as well go bargain basement and get Gordon's or Burnett's if you're going to do that.

I know it's fairly cheap, but if you have to go that route get Svedka. It's a lot smoother and is generally only a couple of bucks more per handle.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Smirnoff is absolutely brutal unless you're mixing drinks with it, and even then I'd prefer other vodkas. There are SOOOO many better ones out there. You might as well go bargain basement and get Gordon's or Burnett's if you're going to do that.

I know it's fairly cheap, but if you have to go that route get Svedka. It's a lot smoother and is generally only a couple of bucks more per handle.

yeah Vodka became the new wine in the past 5 years or so. Funny how even booze that's been around for years can become trendy and 'refined' and suddenly it costs $100.00 a bottle.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)

Do you folks who've been at this longer than me have a favorite wodka wariety? I'm finally getting to the point where I can afford something beyond Gordon's, which is occasionally nice.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 01:58 AM)
You're not alone. That's how I feel. I bought a bottle of Patron one time and everyone thought I was crazy when I said I liked to drink it on the rocks.

When it comes to drinks...give me Patron or Ketel on the rocks and I'm a happy camper (I won't complain with Goose but prefer Kettle). Lately I buy Kirkland brand Vodka from Costco as it is bottled by Grey Goose (for like half the price).

I'll also do Ketel and tonic.

When it comes to beers:

Bass

Coors Lite (if I'm going with a lite beer this is my beer of choice; great for drinking games)

Sierra Nevada

Blue Moon

Shiner Bock

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
Do you folks who've been at this longer than me have a favorite wodka wariety? I'm finally getting to the point where I can afford something beyond Gordon's, which is occasionally nice.

Well, from my experience if price is not an issue and I have to pick one I'd go with Grey Goose. It's pretty damn smooth, especially if chilled. However, basically any of the ones that are a step above Smirnoff are decent to good, and I'm not totally sure I could tell the difference between most of them, other than that it's not Smirnoff. Ketel One, Absolut, Skyy, or Svedka are all perfectly acceptable. I've never tried Belvedere (I've heard it's overrated and over-priced), Effen, Level, or interestingly Stolichnaya though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)

Ketel is a the Vodka I really like. I recently switched to Kirlkland brand (aka Grey Goose) cause they have it super cheap at Costco in a huge bottle and its awesome as well.

Stoili's or however it is called is a real good cheaper brand of Vodka (high quality for the price).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Well, from my experience if price is not an issue and I have to pick one I'd go with Grey Goose. It's pretty damn smooth, especially if chilled. However, basically any of the ones that are a step above Smirnoff are decent to good, and I'm not totally sure I could tell the difference between most of them, other than that it's not Smirnoff. Ketel One, Absolut, Skyy, or Svedka are all perfectly acceptable. I've never tried Belvedere (I've heard it's overrated and over-priced), Effen, Level, or interestingly Stolichnaya though.

That is the one I was trying to say. For the price you can't go wrong with Stoli (you can usually find it to be cheaper than Ketel and Goose). I've heard good things about Level but have never tried it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)

I've actually tried the Belvedere, and I'll totally agree on the overrated/overpriced statement.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)

Im a huge fan of Effen vodka. Its not cheap but its the smoothest Ive had. Goose, Belvediere and Kettle are also up there. If you want the inbetween go with Absolut, it wont break your wallet and it wont leave the hangover of the $10 headaches.

Theres also something to be said about going to a bar and ordering an effen screwdriver

I'm surprised that they're all these people who like Vodka this much. I guess maybe it's a regional thing, but no one (except girls, no offense. Just how it is) really drink Vodka. I'd say most of my friends drink whiskey. The only thing I like vodka in is a Bloody Mary, which happens to be one of my favorite mixed drinks. I guess I've had it with lemonade once too, and I remember that it wasn't that bad. Kinda curious to what y'all think? Is drinking whiskey just more of a Southern thing?