Huckabee unloads on the Saudis.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312842,00.html

"Every time we put our credit card in the gas pump, we're paying so that the Saudis get rich — filthy, obscenely rich, and that money then ends up going to funding madrassas," schools "that train the terrorists," said Huckabee. "America has allowed itself to become enslaved to Saudi oil. It's absurd. It's embarrassing."

Huckabee said "I would make the United States energy independent within 10 years and tell the Saudis they can keep their oil just like they can keep their sand, that we won't need either one of them."

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

High energy prices are such a hot button issue these days he could run with this all the way to the White House. I'd like to see some details though.

Edited by NUKE

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
I would be much more interested in some actual changes in policy versus some hyperbole and rhetoric towards a friendly government.

Exactly. We have to really stretch our definition of "friend" to include any major oil exporting nation, but the Saudis are about as good as it gets (sadly) and ripping them to grab some votes seems short sighted and not what I'd want from a President.

I'd love to be energy independent in 25 years, as long as we still have vehicles and a decent environment.

my gut is that every candidate feels this way. most, however, wouldn't say it publicly.

in any case, this country needs a "Kennedy Space Program-like" iniative to develop this. It would need to be a Top Priority and the public would have to see some kind of step-by-step plan with achievable goals along the way.

I would love to see what the annual oil consumption is of this country. Maybe our goal by 2010 is to reduce this by 5%.

I would love to see what the annual import oil consumption is of this country. Maybe our goal by 2015 is to reduce this by 15%.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
What you said. Positive steps would be supporting large quick increase in CAFE standards. Removing the truck/SUV exemption from them. I love the idea of energy independence, but we need to find a better way to do it, beyond corn subsidies and rhetoric.

I am going to go against the flow here, and actually say that CAFE hurts oil independence, and actually makes us more dependant.

CAFE actually artifically reduces demand, which keeps prices lower than they should be. By keeping prices lower, it lets people afford more gas than they would have before. It also prevents wilder price shocks which tend to exsaserbate demand movements like we saw in the early 70's. I think CAFE is helpful for the enviornment, but it is not a step towards energy independence.

Southsider brings up a great point regarding prices and energy policy. IMNSHO, Americans would rather have oil dependence at low prices than energy independence at higher prices. We talk about how nice it would be but we will not actually pay for it. Either at then pump or in the environment.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
I would love to see what the annual oil consumption is of this country. Maybe our goal by 2010 is to reduce this by 5%.

I would love to see what the annual import oil consumption is of this country. Maybe our goal by 2015 is to reduce this by 15%.

Via the Energy Information Agency, a very useful energy data clearinghouse.

U.S. Crude Oil Production

5,102,000 barrels/day

U.S. Crude Oil Imports

10,118,000 barrels/day

U.S. Crude Oil Imports from OPEC

5,517,000 barrels/day

Top U.S. Crude Oil Supplier

Canada - 1,802,000 barrels/day

U.S. Petroleum Product Imports

3,589,000 barrels/day

U.S. Petroleum Product Imports from OPEC

733,000 barrels/day

U.S. Net Petroleum Imports

12,390,000 barrels/day

Top U.S. Total Petroleum Supplier

Canada - 2,353,000 barrels/day

U.S. Petroleum Consumption

20,687,000 barrels/day

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)
I like the idea, but I'd like to see his exact game plan. We a re pretty oil dependent country. not exactly sure on how he plans to get us energy independent in 10 years.

Here's his issues page on the subject. It's pretty much detail-free, but has all the same platitudes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Via the Energy Information Agency, a very useful energy data clearinghouse.

great info. So if a politician was able to stand up and say, for our public interest and national security that we reduce crude oil imports from 10.1 million per day to 9.6 million by 2010 and here's how we do it... wouldn't the public be behind it?

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
great info. So if a politician was able to stand up and say, for our public interest and national security that we reduce crude oil imports from 10.1 million per day to 9.6 million by 2010 and here's how we do it... wouldn't the public be behind it?

You'd think... but it seems like there's always more to the perverbial puzzle.

Yeah, because that's the only alternative.

Do I need green?

Based on the numbers Balta posted, there isn't a chance. It's also unfair to assume ALL of that money goes towards terrorist activities. Those Saudis buy American products. I use the Saudi oil to make my living and help others. It's a tradeoff I can accept.

There will always be a market and price for Saudi oil.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
my gut is that every candidate feels this way. most, however, wouldn't say it publicly.

in any case, this country needs a "Kennedy Space Program-like" iniative to develop this. It would need to be a Top Priority and the public would have to see some kind of step-by-step plan with achievable goals along the way.

This is one area we are in total agreement. The longer we rely on foreign oil for our economy to function the longer we are extremely vulnerable. One thing I'd like to see the Dems do, and Im surprised they haven't already, is send up a bill cutting off oil industry subsidies that the government pays out and re-divert the money into alternative energy r&d.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)

So the public would be behind $5 a gallon gasoline? Interesting.