So now what?

soxfan3530

Bottom line is while Hamilton had ridiculous talent, no one would have ever expected him to come up and play as well as he did after being away from baseball for such an extended period (and having not yet played at a very high level in the minors). Plus you had to worry about whether he'd fall off the wagon (and every team that ever has him will have to worry about that because once an addict always an addict).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is while Hamilton had ridiculous talent, no one would have ever expected him to come up and play as well as he did after being away from baseball for such an extended period (and having not yet played at a very high level in the minors). Plus you had to worry about whether he'd fall off the wagon (and every team that ever has him will have to worry about that because once an addict always an addict).

Good point, and that is why I wouldn't want to part with Danks for him. I think Danks will be better than a lefthanded Garland.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Because he smokes crack! And he's probably on steroids. No chance I would trade Danks, gio, floyd or anyone else with a future for the addict.

I can't believe you posted this. I read an article about him and he's off his addiction. Maybe you should be a bit more sensitive?

The Sox might as well just get Jason Bay, Corey Patterson or a Geoff Jenkins.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
Would one of those guys alone get a deal done for Hamilton or are we talking about a ridiculous package. I'd consider dealing Hamilton for one very good prospect but I don't know if I'd start going crazy packaging people. I'd prefer to put up an offer of one of the starting pitching prospects (preferably one not name Gio/Danks but I'd probably give up Gio before Danks) as well as Sweeney or Anderson.

I know talent for talent wise it isn't a great deal from the Reds side of things but I just can't see giving up a ton of talent for a guy with that type of checkered past. However, I would be incredibly excited if the club picked Hamilton up since he is a super talented player.

I agree it would be a huge risk. Not to be insensitive, and kudos to him for getting clean, but a lot more addicts fall off the wagon than stay on. One fall and he's probably done.

Wow this is great. With all of Kenny Wannestedt's talk after the embarassing, pathetic 2006 season about being pissed off and going after the big fish, he not only doesn't come up with a medium fish, he doesn't come up with A fish.

Had he gone after Rowand right away as a cheaper option (leave the Rowand arguments on other threads, I'm just saying) and not put all is eggs in Torii's basket only to be sniped by the Angels, he probably wouldn't that same egg all over his face now and helped drive Rowand's price up in the meantime. Oh, did I say Rowand? Don't worry: he won't be coming back now. Ever. Why bring back a guy from 2005--you do remember that year, don't you?--when instead you can bring back 2007 for a sequel: Corpseball II: No-Fundamentals Boogaloo. Mmm mmm. I can hardly wait.

Fukudome? HAHAHHA. Yeah we were never even CONSIDERED by that guy because a) he could probably smell the stink over there and B) unlike us, the Cubs have a chance in 2008. We did, however, get a nice rental in Cabrera, who should have absolutely zero impact seeing that he's surrounded by the same aging, lumbering, station-to-station team that floundered through 2007, setting new lows and I believe having the worst batting average in the conference AT LEAST.

Oh, but the good news doesn't stop there! To get our rental, we traded away one of our proven starting pitchers, who's now probably going to have a career year and remember once again what it was like to be something we won't be for years: a contender.

Ho, ho, ho! Merrrry Christmas Sox fans!

And to prove that he's on the ball and not in dreamland, he publicly stated that the Tigers, after their mega-trade, are merely now able to compete with us--LOL--when the reality is they're going to make us their prison b**** for all of 2008.

And a Happy New Year!

Usually when something's broke, you fix it. What you don't do is give it a new paint job and shove it right back in front of us and expect to be applauded. I've seen this movie before. In 2nd half of 2006. In all of 2007. Nobody asked for a 2008 sequel.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
Wow this is great. With all of Kenny Wannestedt's talk after the embarassing, pathetic 2006 season about being pissed off and going after the big fish, he not only doesn't come up with a medium fish, he doesn't come up with A fish.

Had he gone after Rowand right away as a cheaper option (leave the Rowand arguments on other threads, I'm just saying) and not put all is eggs in Torii's basket only to be sniped by the Angels, he probably wouldn't that same egg all over his face now and helped drive Rowand's price up in the meantime. Oh, did I say Rowand? Don't worry: he won't be coming back now. Ever. Why bring back a guy from 2005--you do remember that year, don't you?--when instead you can bring back 2007 for a sequel: Corpseball II: No-Fundamentals Boogaloo. Mmm mmm. I can hardly wait.

Fukudome? HAHAHHA. Yeah we were never even CONSIDERED by that guy because a) he could probably smell the stink over there and B) unlike us, the Cubs have a chance in 2008. We did, however, get a nice rental in Cabrera, who should have absolutely zero impact seeing that he's surrounded by the same aging, lumbering, station-to-station team that floundered through 2007, setting new lows and I believe having the worst batting average in the conference AT LEAST.

Oh, but the good news doesn't stop there! To get our rental, we traded away one of our proven starting pitchers, who's now probably going to have a career year and remember once again what it was like to be something we won't be for years: a contender.

And to prove that he's on the ball and not in dreamland, he publicly stated that the Tigers, after their mega-trade, are merely now able to compete with us--LOL--when the reality is they're going to make us their prison b**** for all of 2008.

And a Happy New Year!

Usually when something's broke, you fix it. What you don't do is give it a new paint job and shove it right back in front of us and expect to be applauded. I've seen this movie before. In 2nd half of 2006. In all of 2007. Nobody asked for a 2008 sequel.

The biggest slap is KW bettered the Cubs offer but still was rejected.

I can't believe you posted this. I read an article about him and he's off his addiction. Maybe you should be a bit more sensitive?

The Sox might as well just get Jason Bay, Corey Patterson or a Geoff Jenkins.

I'm sorry I have no sympathy for someone who has it all and throws it away for crack, dogfighting, gambling or whatever it might be. I say the Sox stay away from that liability. Jason Bay on the other hand would look real nice in a sox uniform.

At this point all I can do is laugh.

I have a somewhat wierd mind, but I'm cracking up histerically right now. Why? I'm thinking of the whole offseason and the moves that Kenny Williams has made, and in the background of my mind I have Benny Hill music playing. Like, take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hp4Ed4qDA

and then in your mind think about the things that have been said, things that have been done.

"This only puts Detroit in a better position to compete with us."

Scott Linebrink! Four years! No trade clause!

We're competing in 2008, come hell or high water!

All to Benny Hill music.

And hilarity ensues. It's really true -- Benny Hill music does make everything better.

Edited by CWSGuy406

I see that comment meaning compete as we will be competing, as everyone in the division will be competing. You people like to read into his comments to make them seem ridiculous. The same happened when he spoke of Danks and Floyd. He was likely speaking of their potential to be top level starters.

And a Happy New Year!

It is December 12, 2007. Calm down. The White Sox had Hunter and he signed with someone else because they offered him 3 million more per year. I don't want him at that price. I would be embarrassed that we overpaid by that much. The White Sox didn't want Rowand for 5 years because they know he isn't that good and he won't be that good in 2012. I didn't want him anyway. I didn't want him anyway. I don't think he makes this team better. He is not a good fit. Fukudome didn't want to come here because he didn't want to push Jermaine Dye out and the White Sox know he can't play CF. Again, not a good fit. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. It is December 12, 2007. Calm down.

At this point all I can do is laugh.

I have a somewhat wierd mind, but I'm cracking up histerically right now. Why? I'm thinking of the whole offseason and the moves that Kenny Williams has made, and in the background of my mind I have Benny Hill music playing. Like, take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hp4Ed4qDA

and then in your mind think about the things that have been said, things that have been done.

"This only puts Detroit in a better position to compete with us."

Scott Linebrink! Four years! No trade clause!

We're competing in 2008, come hell or high water!

All to Benny Hill music.

And hilarity ensues. It's really true -- Benny Hill music does make everything better.

The offseason has been, what, 2 months with about 3 weeks of meaningful offseason stuff happening? I don't think that Linebrink signing was so bad after seeing what some of these other relievers are getting paid. I think he is paid just about right. Plus this bullpen desperately needed a veteran in it. I like his two moves so far. I would like to see more and I am sure more will come. Don't get all hysterical about a few weeks into the offseason.

The biggest slap is KW bettered the Cubs offer but still was rejected.

No one ever said his KW made a better offer. Levine said it was about the same. What that means, I don't know. The fact is that Fukudome didn't want to push Dye aside and the White Sox didn't want him playing CF. They know he can't play CF. Let Japanese Jacque Jones play in Wrigley Field and get paid double Jacque Jones did. They couldn't wait to get him out of town, but now they have the Japanese version. Good luck with that.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
That is not true. Post what you want, but at least tell the truth.

So what's not true about it? The release from the DWL team is fact -- maybe he did ask for his release, I don't know -- but either way that's not a good sign. I'll try to find the link that said he was not considered a SS at this point, but I definitely read that as well.

I'm not lying here -- and the point is that his agent says he rocks, but maybe you need to wonder about someone that isn't getting playing time in the DWL. Several Cubans have simply not lived up to the hype. Position player-wise Kendry Morales is a good example. I'm really doubtful that he's ready for the bigs -- I haven't seen anyone but his agent say that he is. I'm not saying that it would be a bad signing, but I really think he'd have to play in the minors....

Why are you so high on Ramirez? What have your ead that makes you think he'll be good? And how can you be high on Ramirez and yet think Fukudome is the second coming of Jacques Jones?

Edited by hitlesswonder

It's disappointing that the Sox still have those holes in the OF, but I'm not super-upset about them not paying $90 million for Hunter or $50+ million for good-but-not-great players like Rowand or Fukudome. I'm more concerned about how Contreras and Floyd will pitch next year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
It's disappointing that the Sox still have those holes in the OF, but I'm not super-upset about them not paying $90 million for Hunter or $50+ million for good-but-not-great players like Rowand or Fukudome. I'm more concerned about how Contreras and Floyd will pitch next year.

The question is who will they get to play the OF in the future? It doesn't look like prices are going to come down anytime soon.

And here it is from ESPN

2:15 p.m., from Enrique Rojas

• Jaime Torres, the agent for Cuban slugger Alexei Ramirez, left Nashville after meeting with five teams interested in the player. Torres said that he expects to meet with two other clubs in the next couple of days. Ramirez, the home run leader in the Cuban national tournament in 2006, can play second base or the outfield. He left Cuba and settled in Dominican Republic two months ago.

2B or OF. Not SS.

Well here is what I would do:

1) Quit with all the doom and gloom, all the guys we wanted got huge contracts. Its not like the Sox were cheap, they just were unwilling to give a weak free agent crop huge contracts. I dont really disagree with them.

2) Not delude myself. This team is most likely not going to compete unless a lot of players come up huge. But at the same time try and place optimism in the fact the starting line up will have 4 younger players (Richar, Quentin, Fields, Owens) and that hopefully 1-2 of them can turn into good to great players. The pitching staff is what it is, Vaz and Buerhle are good and dependable, Danks and Floyd young question marks, Contreras old question mark. It could all come up Millhouse, it could all go to hell, but if the Sox can manage to find away to upgrade the weakest of those pitchers (presumably Count) into a Vaz/Buerhle level the pitching staff isnt that bad.

3) Dont waste the money that was saved. The sox have offered over $10mil per year in free agent contracts, they should place that $10mil in a 5 month CD and save it for the draft. Draft best player available in every round (I know the Sox dont have a 2nd, but a lot of guys still slide to the later top few rounds due to signability) and use the $10mil saved to improve the farm system. Year after, same routine, use the money saved on older FA's like Hunter, Rowand, to spend more money on top talent in the draft. I know that draft picks dont always pan out, but high talent guys generally still pay off in trades later down the line. By improving our farm system using the cash that would be given to FA's (i believe most draft money is signing bonus therefore its only a 1 year deal, with 10mil to play with you could give the top guy 5mil, and still have another 5 to play with in later rounds, let alone the slot money that the Sox were already planning to spend.), the Sox can then trade for players because it appears the best talent is being traded and not going to FA.

I think that method the Sox conceivably be better off by missing out on all of these free agents.

Prospects are the wave of the future with these insane contracts, if the Sox start to spend money in the draft they can better balance their talent investment.

The only problem is I believe the Sox are outspoken on paying slot value, and well that just cant happen in my scenario.

Edited by Soxbadger