The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez agree to 4 year deal

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
He's a middle infielder who can play OF? Does that mean he'll be in center?

He may split time between 2B and CF with Owens and Richar - sort of a 3 players auditioning for 2 spots thing. But I think he ends up starting in CF most of the time, as long as he can handle it defensively.

MLBTradeRumors said this a while back - If Ramirez is truly capable, his agent should position him as a shortstop.

Rotoworld says - The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez have agreed to a four-year contract, a source told ESPN Deportes.

The source said Ramirez had individual workouts with the White Sox, Red Sox, Indians, Reds, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Twins and A's before making his choice. Ramirez has experience at second base, shortstop and in center field, giving the White Sox plenty of options in how to use him. He'd make the most sense for the team in center field right now, though it's possible he'll need some time in the minors before he gets his shot. The supposed 26-year-old played only briefly in the Dominican Republic this winter, going 1-for-14.

Indians scout John Mirabelli says: "He's played at a high level, but he hasn't played at this level," "He came up as a shortstop and middle infielder. He got to the national team, and they wanted him to play outfield. He's a pretty athletic guy that presents versatility."

Updated offseason checklist...

--Upgrade CF: check (Ramirez)

--Upgrade LF: check (Quentin)

--Upgrade SS: check (Cabrera)

--Upgrade bullpen: at least partial check (Linebrink)

--Release Erstad: check

--Release Podz: check

--Release Gonzalez: check

--Release Myers: check

Left to do...

--Trade Crede

--Trade Uribe

--Maybe upgrade an SP slot

--Try to strengthen the farm system a bit (hopefully the two trades above will help that)

So far, not bad. Still a stretch to compete, but, they're closer now. And they look a lot better than they did last season, no doubt.

Let's hope KW can get 3 or 4 of that last set of items completed before ST starts.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
I'm guessing he'll be in the outfield this year, which I see he plays, but no specific position. Does anyone know? If he's a SS, I'm guessing he could be athletic enough for CF.

Nice thing there is, if Cabrera doesn't re-sign, Ramirez may be able to slide to SS. That flexibility is a nice side bonus to this signing.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Updated offseason checklist...

--Upgrade bullpen: at least partial check (Linebrink)

--Release Erstad: check

--Release Podz: check

--Release Gonzalez: check

--Release Myers: check

Left to do...

--Trade Crede

--Trade Uribe

--Maybe upgrade an SP slot

--Try to strengthen the farm system a bit (hopefully the two trades above will help that)

So far, not bad. Still a stretch to compete, but, they're closer now. And they look a lot better than they did last season, no doubt.

Let's hope KW can get 3 or 4 of that last set of items completed before ST starts.

I have a hard time calling the CF/LF moves upgrades until they do it on the field. Yeah, Quentin should be better than Andy Gonzalez in LF, but I also worry that these moves, if they do work out, are just not enough to catch Detroit/Cleveland.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Nice thing there is, if Cabrera doesn't re-sign, Ramirez may be able to slide to SS. That flexibility is a nice side bonus to this signing.

That's exactly my hope as well. If he could fill that SS hole after Cabrera leaves, that makes this team 20x stronger for the next 4 years.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
1. Ramirez

2. Cabrera

3. Thome

4. Pk

5. KD

6. Fields

7. AJP

8. Crede

9. Richar

And optimist may have us above average everywhere except 2B. Not a horrible line-up depending on what Ramirez can do at the top.

Though I think Crede still gets traded.

2 thirdbasemen and no LF?

I'd guess it will be more like:

Ramirez, CF

Cabrera, SS

Thome, DH

PK, 1B

JD, RF

AJP, C

Fields, 3B

Quentin, LF

Richar, 2B

With Owens getting some CF time and Ramirez spelling Richar and maybe Cabrera from time to time.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Lets hope he is the best player out of Cuba ever.

Now this is a deal I love. I should trash Kenny more often because he has now made three deals that I love this off-season, two of which are great for the long term future of the franchise (this signing and the Quentin trade). The Cabrera trade was one I loved because OC is a great baseball player who likely ensures the Sox a couple compensation picks that they wouldn't have gotten had they kept Jon.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Sorry, but until finding out a bunch more about this guy, as well as seeing how much he was signed for, I don't think you can pencil Ramirez into the lineup, let alone the top of it. I would not be surprised in the least for him to spend most of the season in AAA.

Not saying it was a bad move, could turn out to be a great one, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

Probably true. Like I said, I'd bet Ramirez splits time with Owens in CF and Richar at 2B to start. I guess I am just optimistic about him eventually taking over CF.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
Sorry, but until finding out a bunch more about this guy, as well as seeing how much he was signed for, I don't think you can pencil Ramirez into the lineup, let alone the top of it. I would not be surprised in the least for him to spend most of the season in AAA.

If he isn't ready for the big leagues, that doesn't make me mad either. Because we put him at SS for a year in AAA while he works out the kinks in that position and works with the bat, and then with a little luck we now have a SS in 09. Whether he's penciled in or not, adding anyone who could play middle infield to the higher levels of our organization makes us stronger.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)

Not saying it was a bad move, could turn out to be a great one, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
If he isn't ready for the big leagues, that doesn't make me mad either. Because we put him at SS for a year in AAA while he works out the kinks in that position and works with the bat, and then with a little luck we now have a SS in 09. Whether he's penciled in or not, adding anyone who could play middle infield to the higher levels of our organization makes us stronger.

Bear in mind, I had thought I read that Ramirez was expecting to have a shot at starting before signing with someone. Therefore, KW must have at least promised him that shot. Maybe not a guarantee, but at least a reasonable chance.

Anyone else remember seeing that somewhere?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
Lets hope he is the best player out of Cuba ever.

He better be at least the second or third best hitter... Otherwise the Sox just wasted money (no matter how much they spent)

There hasn't been a really successful non-steriod aided (Canseco + Palmiero) Cuban born hitter in the big leagues since Tony Oliva. (Escobar in ATL appears like he might be on his way to being the next best)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Bear in mind, I had thought I read that Ramirez was expecting to have a shot at starting before signing with someone. Therefore, KW must have at least promised him that shot. Maybe not a guarantee, but at least a reasonable chance.

Anyone else remember seeing that somewhere?

Also, don't the Sox have two other SS in the system? I know one is 16, but is the other one closer to the bigs?

BTW, I love the signing...and it gives Contreras a friend again!

Kendry Morales has been solid. He just wasn't as major league ready as everyone thought he would be. That said I'd take Morales any day because he has the talent to be a pretty good hitter.

Ramirez has a lot of talent as well and I've seen a couple scouts compare his frame, which generates a lot of power to Soriano. Now that doesn't mean the Sox have a Soriano out there and I'd like to temper expectations because he will be asked to play at an incredibly high level (MLB is much higher than the Cuban leagues). However, he has the tools and that is what I love. The club is getting another athlete onto the roster, but I wouldn't be stunned if the deal is a lot cheaper than people expect (I'm talking 4yr 16M with incentives pushing to the 24M range or so, maybe even less than that in guaranteed money).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
Also, don't the Sox have two other SS in the system? I know one is 16, but is the other one closer to the bigs?

BTW, I love the signing...and it gives Contreras a friend again!

Best case for Miranda is 2010 or 2011 to the bigs, Silverio (the 16 year old) is more like 2012 or later. And neither are anything like guarantees.

Well we were talking exactly about this yesterday in the Crisp thread on Trade Winds, and wouldn't ya know it, a day later they go out and sign him.

And I like the move. If he's ready, he could platoon at 2B/CF and maybe even a little SS if needed.

He may need time at AAA to adjust. But at least it gives us another option, and one that could really pay off. He'll be in an excellent situation for him to be able to hit in a real good hitters park as well.