The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez agree to 4 year deal

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
No reason not to be optimistic, but I kinda hope Williams doesn't just pencil him in to start.

I'm guessing (or maybe hoping?) that Kenny said, you'll get a look for a starting spot in ST, and worst case you'll get time at CF, 2B and/or SS off the bench to start with.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Bear in mind, I had thought I read that Ramirez was expecting to have a shot at starting before signing with someone. Therefore, KW must have at least promised him that shot. Maybe not a guarantee, but at least a reasonable chance.

Anyone else remember seeing that somewhere?

Yes, that was certainly one of the things being said about him earlier.

Ramirez, says the agent, is comparable to Contreras as far as being "major league-ready" immediately after leaving Cuba. "Right out of spring training, Ramirez will make a major league club," Torres said.

If he beats out Owens for CF, great. If he struggles in ST, fine, stick him in AAA for a year and teach him to be a SS. Either way, our organization is now stronger at a point it was weak at yesterday.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Yes, that was certainly one of the things being said about him earlier.

If he beats out Owens for CF, great. If he struggles in ST, fine, stick him in AAA for a year and teach him to be a SS. Either way, our organization is now stronger at a point it was weak at yesterday.

That is a pretty funny comparison, considering how badly Contreras sucked when he first came over. Heck, Contreras has had about one good season of major league baseball (and it was over the course of two seasons).

Old post, on Ramirez's purported birthday nonetheless.

Originally posted: September 22, 2007

Cuban crusher available

By Mark Gonzales, 10:46 a.m.

MINNEAPOLIS -- White Sox pitcher Jose Contreras gave an encouraging scouting report on Alexei Ramirez, 26, one of Cuba's top hitters who left recently to seek residency in the Dominican Republic. Ramirez is expected to play in the majors quickly.

"He's got power and speed," Contreras said earlier this week. "He's fast in center field." Ramirez also can play shortstop and second base.

Contreras and Ramirez are represented by agent Jaime Torres, whom general manager Kenny Williams said he hasn't spoken to recently. Ramirez went to the Dominican because his wife is a citizen of the country, according to published reports. Ramirez led the Cuban League with 20 home runs in addition to a .335 batting average.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Any chance he battles it out with Richar for that starting 2B spot in spring training? Or do you guys think he will battle it out with Owens for that CF possition?

If either Owens or Richar were to completely flop in ST and Ramirez had a good ST, I could see him taking the slot of either of them. I think Richar has a bigger margin for error because of his talent and age, but I could certainly envision a case where Ramirez would take that 2nd base slot next year and Richar might go back to AAA.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
That is a pretty funny comparison, considering how badly Contreras sucked when he first came over. Heck, Contreras has had about one good season of major league baseball (and it was over the course of two seasons).

Actually, Contreras came over, immediately dominated in the minor leagues for the Yankees, and then performed extremely well in his first 1/3 season with the Yankees. (71 IP, 3.296 ERA, 72 k's, 7-2, 52 HA). It wasn't until the NY pressure cooker got to him (as well as him tipping his forkball) that he struggled.

As for Ramirez's salary figures, I agree, I think it will be something like 4/18...which, if he translates to a decent player (I'm thinking Mark DeRosa-ish?) would be nice.

Anyone have an OBP on this guy? Says he hit .335, but I have a feeling he still probably only put up an OBP of .365 or so...

Edited by iamshack

Here's an excerpt from a scouting analysis of Ramirez. The quotes are from four scouts who were asked to review his game.

"Ramirez profiles as an above-average big leaguer in right field. He’s got slightly below-average power from the right side, but a hit tool that is well above-average.

"He played a lot of shortstop in Cuba and I wouldn’t rule that out when he comes to the States because he has the bat to back it up. He’s got a great arm, good hands and very good body control. He can go in the hole and get it and range to his left toward the bag and make the throw on the run with no problem.

"He has the ability to be a top-of-the-order tablesetter, but also can drive in some runs. He showed a good knack to drag bunts and beat them out with no problem. While he has good speed, he’s an average baserunner and that’ll take some time over here (in the States) to really get a grip on.

"He’s very athletic wherever he plays, (one of the) better athletes you’ll see if he plays in a corner. But the corner is right field because of the arm strength. He’s got a 60 arm (on the 20-80 scouting scale) with accuracy. He’s very aggressive with solid-to-plus ability to play the game."

Scouting Grades

Hitting - 60

Power - 40

Arm Strength - 60

Fielding - 50 (OF); 55 (SS)

Speed - 60

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
Here's an excerpt from a scouting analysis of Ramirez. The quotes are from four scouts who were asked to review his game.

"Ramirez profiles as an above-average big leaguer in right field. He’s got slightly below-average power from the right side, but a hit tool that is well above-average.

"He played a lot of shortstop in Cuba and I wouldn’t rule that out when he comes to the States because he has the bat to back it up. He’s got a great arm, good hands and very good body control. He can go in the hole and get it and range to his left toward the bag and make the throw on the run with no problem.

"He has the ability to be a top-of-the-order tablesetter, but also can drive in some runs. He showed a good knack to drag bunts and beat them out with no problem. While he has good speed, he’s an average baserunner and that’ll take some time over here (in the States) to really get a grip on.

"He’s very athletic wherever he plays, (one of the) better athletes you’ll see if he plays in a corner. But the corner is right field because of the arm strength. He’s got a 60 arm (on the 20-80 scouting scale) with accuracy. He’s very aggressive with solid-to-plus ability to play the game."

Scouting Grades

Hitting - 60

Power - 40

Arm Strength - 60

Fielding - 50 (OF); 55 (SS)

Speed - 60

Wow, that's encouraging....sounds kinda like that international player the Cub just signed...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
BA has compared the Cuban league to short season A ball. I don't know how much money they gave the guy, but I hope he does well. I think it would be silly to think he'll do much in the AL in 2008. Its a huge adjustment. Not just a higher level of play but off the field as well.

That 2 last sentences are a good point - longer, tougher season, all that stuff. All the more reason to start him by platooning with Owens and Richar.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
That 2 last sentences are a good point - longer, tougher season, all that stuff. All the more reason to start him by platooning with Owens and Richar.

Or, starting him in AAA if he doesn't prove ready in ST. IMO, you have to keep that option open when you have 3 young guys in 2 positions like we now have.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
Or, starting him in AAA if he doesn't prove ready in ST. IMO, you have to keep that option open when you have 3 young guys in 2 positions like we now have.

I don't mind keeping it open - but given how many teams were looking at him, and what his agent was saying, I am just thinking that KW probably made it an almost-certainty that he'd be with the big club to start the season (even if on the bench). Of course, that doesn't mean you can't then send him down if you want to...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
And the agent connection was probably big. Jose himself may have helped out.

That's true. I wonder if he dates Jose's daughter. Or maybe his grandaughter. I don't think is just coincidence Contreras was at his best when El Duque was around. He was able to continue it for a while after he was gone, but I think El Duque being around would really help Jose right now. Maybe another Cuban will do the same.

Edited by Dick Allen