2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Indians are playing some good baseball. They're getting some good to great starting pitching.

I still think they're the favorite in the AL Central, but it's very down this year. The Tigers pitching is awful, the Indians offense is mediocre, the Sox can't get base hits, and the Twins don't have power. I don't think there will be a clear cut favorite to win the division until about July or even a bit later.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
I still think they're the favorite in the AL Central, but it's very down this year. The Tigers pitching is awful, the Indians offense is mediocre, the Sox can't get base hits, and the Twins don't have power. I don't think there will be a clear cut favorite to win the division until about July or even a bit later.

I agree that Indians are the favorites now, as Lee seems to be a 16-18 win pitcher.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2008 -> 01:58 AM)
Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton are glorious. I've been watching them since 2003 though, I got into them a bit that year with Cabrera and Willis, of course they did their thing against the Cubs, and I have friends down there so I've followed them for a while now. They used to have Kasper before he went to the Cubs and he and Hutton were great too doing the games. They entered this year with a payroll of 24 million, less than A-Rod makes by himself this season. I'm not sure how that's affected with today's news, but they locked up baseball's best all around player, Hanley Ramirez, for 6 years and 72 million and he'll be on the team when their new stadium opens in 2011. So yeah, love the fighting fish. :headbang

Btw, off topic, but are closers blowing more games than usual so far this year? Sure as hell seems like it, this is me calling for help. I know you'll see this post Kalapse, can you find out if closers are struggling more than usual this year ie blown saves around baseball?

I love this. Every year, there's a new "best all around player" in baseball. People f***ing love jumping on random players' bandwagons. He's had a couple good years. Let's wait and see before we annoint him as the best player.

Hell, just look at Hafner and Howard. They each put together some good years, people start calling them (some of) the best offensive players in the game, and now people can't distance themselves enough from either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
Andruw Jones = teh sux0rz

Doesn't care about the fans...shows up to camp overweight...and apparently is lying (in some way, shape, or form) to everyone. I wish the Sox had signed him!

Good lord what a complete tool. I am so glad that we didn't make a serious push for that guy. Give me Swisher anyday.

I still wish the Sox got either Hunter/Rowand which were my first two choices. However, I liked the Swisher deal and I was one of those people who thought the Jones deal was a very good one financially for the Dodgers (although I didn't necessarily believe that they needed to add another outfielder, given that they had Pierre to a fat deal and had Ethier/Kemp who are both rock solid and have the upside to be above average (Ethier) and elite (Kemp's case). I was definately wrong on the Jones move.

In terms of Hunter I still didn't see the logic given the Angels plethora of outfielders, but he has played tremendous for them and has really been the only consistent bat in the middle of that order this season (due to Vladdy's early season slump).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
Andruw Jones = teh sux0rz

Doesn't care about the fans...shows up to camp overweight...and apparently is lying (in some way, shape, or form) to everyone. I wish the Sox had signed him!

What a great read. "Look at your belly hanging out of your shirt. You're probably going to die tomorrow" was my favorite part.

A shocking development in the rehabilitation of Mark Prior:

Prior suffers from back pain in latest rehab outing

San Diego Padres right-hander Mark Prior has had a setback in his rehabilitation.

In his last rehab outing, he threw 10 or 15 pitches and had a feeling "like a firecracker going off in his back."

Prior, who has a career record of 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA, is seeking a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.

Prior signed a $1 million deal with his hometown Padres in December, with the chance to make more in incentives. He started the season on the 60-day disabled list and was expected to be ready to pitch in the big leagues around June 1.

Link

Manny gave a fan in the outfield a high five after his momentum carried him into the wall...he then proceeded to hit the cutoff man you doubled off the runner at first haha...i love Manny. I know many people are annoyed by him, but he truly is the definition of someone who loves what he does