2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)
Yankees and Red Sox locked in another awfully played game.

I don't think either of their rotations are really that good and I think their offenses are overrated. Essentially, I'm not a fan of either team, and I could easily see both of them missing the playoffs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
The Brewers just can't hit right handed pitching so far this year. And if you want to talk about overrated players in baseball, Ryan Freel has to be at the top of the list.

Brewers can't hit period so far this year.

Freel was touted but just never lived up to the hype. I wouldn't say he is overrated, he just isn't rated much anymore.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
The Brewers just can't hit right handed pitching so far this year. And if you want to talk about overrated players in baseball, Ryan Freel has to be at the top of the list.

I haven't considered Ryan Freel a factor in a few years. He's a glorified super utility man as far as I'm concerned.

This is a fascinating statistical note.

The hot topics lately among major league general managers are the high number of injuries, and the increased time it's taking for players to return from them.

The guess among some GMs is that one factor in the injury epidemic could be more stringent drug testing, which eliminated one possible aid to get back onto the field faster. It's either that, or a lot of bad luck.

Here are the eye-opening figures for the disabled list (numbers given show the number of players on the disabled list on the first Friday of each season):

2003: 82

2004: 95

2005: 97

2006: 77

2007: 102

2008: 111

As of yesterday, that disabled list total was up to 122. Ouch.

I just realized that it seems like the Sox and Cards perform fairly similar season in and season out. Both had a disappointing 2007 followed by a nice start in 2008. Looking back 10 years, the teams have finished with the same record twice, within 1 win of each other twice, and both teams had a run of 7 seasons with at least a .500 record sandwiched by 70ish win seasons. They also won WS back-to-back.

I just realized that it seems like the Sox and Cards perform fairly similar season in and season out. Both had a disappointing 2007 followed by a nice start in 2008. Looking back 10 years, the teams have finished with the same record twice, within 1 win of each other twice, and both teams had a run of 7 seasons with at least a .500 record sandwiched by 70ish win seasons. They also won WS back-to-back.

Damn... thats pretty crazy/interesting...

The Pirate's announcers are talking about how they aren't happy about being in the Central because of the time change and they should be in the East.

That's fine. Unfortunately that would only serve to make the Pirates suck even more.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
The Pirate's announcers are talking about how they aren't happy about being in the Central because of the time change and they should be in the East.

That's fine. Unfortunately that would only serve to make the Pirates suck even more.

Then the Rangers can b**** hardcore because they have to cross over 2 time zones. That ain't right.

Pirates fans/commentators shouldn't be pissed because of time zones, they should be pissed because their team is f***ing terrible.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)

They'll just lose games an hour earlier if they switch to the NL East.