2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the Tigers and Indians lose. It would've been awesome to see the Twins lose but it looks like they're going to win. The Royals are on fire, I usually root for them unless they're playing the Sox, but if they keep this up, I might have to start rooting against them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Trevor Hoffman just needs to retire already. Washed up. Rough to see the Twins win the game where Peavy pitched too.

How about that Padres offense? 1st and 2nd nobody out in the 8th and they don't even move the runners along. Reminds me of how we played at Wrigley.

I wasn't watching the game, but I saw that Jody Gerut struck out. So I was thinking that he had no intention of bunting. Pretty sad considering he's a leadoff hitter.

I am much more worried about the Tigers than the Twins right now. Minny usually kills NL teams like no other, they'll come back to earth when they start playing AL teams again. As pessimistic as I am about the Sox, we are better than Minnesota. The Tigers getting back to about .500 now could be a big problem though, I am surprised their pitching is doing enough to let them slowly creep back up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
I think all 5 AL Central teams won tonight.

you are correct

the KC Royals have been crushing the NL this year. 13-3 with thier win Friday. so thats 24 wins against the AL, 13 against the NL. good gravy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
The Tigers getting back to about .500 now could be a big problem though, I am surprised their pitching is doing enough to let them slowly creep back up.

Just think how good thier pitching would be if they did not trade away Jair Jurrjens. 3.20 ERA in 90 innings pitched. 7 wins.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 01:25 AM)
Just think how good thier pitching would be if they did not trade away Jair Jurrjens. 3.20 ERA in 90 innings pitched. 7 wins.

That was a REALLY bad trade by Detroit, which will only get worse as time goes on. And I really hope I am right about your Twins. I don't know how you guys do it every year, this would be a miracle if you make the playoffs this year unlike any other you've pulled though.

I dont know how the Twins do it every year too, I just go for the ride!

This year has been a bit of luck. Look at the runners in scoring position stat. The Twins are batting something like .314 and the next one down is .280 something. Livan Hernadez is the luckiest pitcher in baseball. his Wins/Loss says he is decent to good, but he gives up about 2 hits per inning. Hes got a 2 to 1 K/BB ration, but its only like 30 K's to 15 BBs. He just doesnt miss bats. Yet there he is, 7 wins, and the team has won something like 12 of his starts.

This series against the Brewers, the Twins are out slugged by 50 HRs, yet the Twins have one of the best runs scored offenses in the league.

its like bizzaro world with this team.

I read your guys thought about how the Twins just pick up a player out of nowhere and he becomes good. I just chuckle and dismiss it. Maybe I follow the team to closely. But 2 players have done that this year. Brian Buscher has played 15 games and has driven in 17 runs, or something to that effect. Mike Lamb, how the Twins are paying good money too, has not started a game in about 2 weeks in favor of this minimum wage guy. Alexi Casilla looked uninterested in playing baseball this Spring training. I guess he didnt come out of nowhere, but he has been a dissappointment for about a year in a half. he got called up in desperation in May and has just took off. He never showed power in the minores, but has 4 HRs this year and more RBI than Delmon Young

All that said, I am still haunted by that 4 game shallacking at the Cell about a month ago. That was just bad baseball :lol:

This Twins team is good and quietly confident, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they are a good bat away from competing the rest of the way. That said, they could also have the world come crashing down on them in August considering how many young pitchers they have on that team. I just think it's a very streaky team that will be much, much scarier next year and the following years.

I'd also say that the biggest wild card for the future of the Twins is Carlos Gomez. If he can develop into a .300 25/40 threat while playing good defense in CF, they could easily be one of the scariest teams in the game. If he fizzles and fades into mediocrity, they'll still be searching for a CF and another bat in the lineup. So much of the future rests on his shoulders. He's still only 22, so there's plenty of time for him to develop into a monster...which I would NOT like very much.