2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
Well, the Twins made it interesting with back to back 1 out singles, but Casilla flew out to CF and Mauer grounded out to Renteria. Tigers win 5-4, Sox 2.5 games up.

Those Tigers are pretty damn good...

Dear White Sox

please start losing

thanks

Benchwarmerjim

:D

===

that said, boy the Indians are a dissapointment. And the Tigers stink on defense. From LaVelles blog at the Minny STrib tonight

6:01 Update: ....

By the way, Leyland apparently aired out Miguel Cabrera for his defense before taking him out of the game yesterday. Few here believe Cabrera is injured.

linkage. Heh, interesting.

I'm just glad nobody swept in that Tigers/Twins series, I didn't want to see either team get that kind of momentum. We'll just see who wins the series tomorrow, while in the meantime we may have sent the Indians spinning into sell mode with that great win tonight.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:13 AM)
What do the Tribe have to trade (Besides CC)

Casey Blake could probably help a club. Jamey Carroll could be useful...anything else?

Barfield or Cabrera more then likely. Barfield has had injuries and Cabrera was minor'd

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:13 AM)
What do the Tribe have to trade (Besides CC)

Casey Blake could probably help a club. Jamey Carroll could be useful...anything else?

Dellucci, if someone wants to take on the rest of his deal

Byrd

possibly Betancourt and Lee

I could also see both Hafner and VMart, but those are much less likely. It's just hard for the Indians to justify trading quite a few of their players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Dellucci, if someone wants to take on the rest of his deal

Byrd

possibly Betancourt and Lee

I could also see both Hafner and VMart, but those are much less likely. It's just hard for the Indians to justify trading quite a few of their players.

It wouldn't shock me at all it the Cubs, not being able to put together a package for CC, went after Byrd.

"It's pretty obvious," Shapiro said. "If you're looking for an announcement that we're going to start trading guys, you won't get that until we make our first trade. But I think it's fairly obvious at this point."

"If you had told me at the beginning of the year that we're going to play the balance of the season without Victor [Martinez] and [Travis] Hafner and [Fausto] Carmona and [Jake] Westbrook, I'd say it would be very challenging to contend," Shapiro said. "In addition to that, if you would have told me our bullpen would be poor, I'd say we would not be a contender.

"So in light of what's happened, it's very straightforward and cut and dry. But that doesn't mean it's not disappointing."

Our sweep has pretty much put the Indians into selling mode.

if you had to list the top 5 offenses in baseball to this point...i suspect most all of you would certainly say texas, boston, philadelphia and the cubs were 4 of the five....but how many of you would say the minnesota twins are 5th?? Well, they are, and this team isn't going away. In addition to the 5th highest scoring offense in baseball, they also have a pitching staff that is quietly developing a handful of very good starters....Slowey, Baker and Blackburn all have ERAs under 4, and even Glenn Perkins has a 4.31.....

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
if you had to list the top 5 offenses in baseball to this point...i suspect most all of you would certainly say texas, boston, philadelphia and the cubs were 4 of the five....but how many of you would say the minnesota twins are 5th?? Well, they are, and this team isn't going away. In addition to the 5th highest scoring offense in baseball, they also have a pitching staff that is quietly developing a handful of very good starters....Slowey, Baker and Blackburn all have ERAs under 4, and even Glenn Perkins has a 4.31.....

If only teams could regularly hit .310+ with runners in scoring position.

Don't get me wrong, it's a talented offense, but it's a down year in the AL and they, honestly, have been lucky as f***. I imagine even benchjim would tell you that. They have a shot to compete with Liriano potentially coming up at some point and by acquiring a bat, but I don't think they have a chance at being the best team in the division with the roster they currently have.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 05:29 AM)

Don't get me wrong, it's a talented offense, but it's a down year in the AL and they, honestly, have been lucky as f***. I imagine even benchjim would tell you that. They have a shot to compete with Liriano potentially coming up at some point and by acquiring a bat, but I don't think they have a chance at being the best team in the division with the roster they currently have.

ill give you the other points...but i strongly disagree with this...especially in terms of the pitching...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 05:29 AM)

oh yeah, some of it has got to be luck when the team is blistering the ball when runners are in scoring position. Last night, the Kevin Slowey gave up a 5 spot to the Tribe in the second inning (he had gone 18 innings before that without giving up a run, and that is also part of the Twins success. Great starting pitching). I sat there a bit dissappointed because Slowey had been pitching so well for so long. But after the inning was over I was not worried, because the Twins have just been scoring runs after runs and a 3 run decifit is nothing of late. Sure enough, chipped in a run in the 4th, 1 in the 5th. Chased the starter out of the game and scored 5 in the 6th. Thats just the way its been going of late. (the Twins have batted 16 innings against the Tribe this series, and have scored in 10 of them)

Part of it is that Mauer and Morneau are have really good seasons. Morneau's power numbers are down a bit, but he is second in the AL in the RBI category. But its also younger players doing well. Kubell is tied with Morneau in HR's. Delmon Young is on a super hot streak, all those young players from AAA just plug right in and hit the ball. (and thats the crazy part)

But also the pitching has been outstanding.

But you know what, the Sox keep plugging along too. Sure the Twins made up a 6 or 7 game defecit, but its get of frustrating that my team keeps winning and cant take over that first place spot in the division! But its also exciting because every game matters. I watched the end of the last two Sox/Indians games and just get amazed at what the Sox do. They are so confident right now (they remind me of the Twins in that matter. Watch a few innings and the confidence of the players just oozes out of the TV screen) that when the team gets down a few runs it doesnt matter, they know they can come back and win it. the 08 Sox remind me of your World Series winning team

This should be an exciting second half! :snr

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 04:29 AM)

Lucky or not, the Twins aren't going away.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Lucky or not, the Twins aren't going away.

They clearly aren't going away, but they have some things going on that will not continue. We are still a better team than them, and it'll show. Hopefully Detroit falls off, as I'd take my chances in a two horse race with Minnesota. I know we had bad luck with that in the past, but this year is different. I am starting to at least think they are a bigger threat than Detroit though, which I would have never guessed even a week or two ago.

Edited by whitesoxfan101