Sox have had a pretty nice off season

Lemon_44

When you think about it, the Sox have improved their roster as much as anyone,outside of Detroit, in this off season. They've added 6 players in Cabrera, Swisher, Dotel, Linebrink, Quentin, and Ramirez without having to give up any major league talent, except Jon Garland, who was gone after this year anyway. Also they are not stuck paying an aging CF 90 million dollars the next 5 years. People rip KW because of the people he missed out on but Miguel Cabrera was pretty much a pipe dream and Detroit gave up their entire minor league prospect list to get him. Not signing Hunter will turn out to be a blessing.Who knows what you're getting in Fukodome and Rowand, i don't think, was really ever in the picture. Acquiring another SP would have been nice but there really wasn't a whole lot out there.Plus, KW may still swing a trade for somebody.I still won't be surprised to see an Angels trade go down.

But the two main weaknesses last year were the bullpen and getting guys on base. I think the Sox have addressed those issues nicely and all's it cost them was minor leaguers and cutting the dead weight from the roster. Throw in the return of Ozuna and Crede and your roster looks even better.That's 8 guys you have added. Crede may still be dealt but nothing is for sure. Detroit still looks like the team to beat but the Sox are going to be right there. People like the big splash signing or trade but KW has quietly put together a very quality roster. We won't have to watch the likes of :sweep: Gonzales, Aardsma, Sisco, Pods, Erstad, et al come in a flounder away. The Sox will have quality at every position, assuming Danks and Floyd make the expected improvement.

QUOTE(Lemon_44 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 05:53 AM)
When you think about it, the Sox have improved their roster as much as anyone,outside of Detroit, in this off season. They've added 6 players in Cabrera, Swisher, Dotel, Linebrink, Quentin, and Ramirez without having to give up any major league talent, except Jon Garland, who was gone after this year anyway. Also they are not stuck paying an aging CF 90 million dollars the next 5 years. People rip KW because of the people he missed out on but Miguel Cabrera was pretty much a pipe dream and Detroit gave up their entire minor league prospect list to get him. Not signing Hunter will turn out to be a blessing.Who knows what you're getting in Fukodome and Rowand, i don't think, was really ever in the picture. Acquiring another SP would have been nice but there really wasn't a whole lot out there.Plus, KW may still swing a trade for somebody.I still won't be surprised to see an Angels trade go down.

But the two main weaknesses last year were the bullpen and getting guys on base. I think the Sox have addressed those issues nicely and all's it cost them was minor leaguers and cutting the dead weight from the roster. Throw in the return of Ozuna and Crede and your roster looks even better.That's 8 guys you have added. Crede may still be dealt but nothing is for sure. Detroit still looks like the team to beat but the Sox are going to be right there. People like the big splash signing or trade but KW has quietly put together a very quality roster. We won't have to watch the likes of :sweep: Gonzales, Aardsma, Sisco, Pods, Erstad, et al come in a flounder away. The Sox will have quality at every position, assuming Danks and Floyd make the expected improvement.

Take your sunny optimism elsewhere my friend, this is Soxtalk.

;)

Payroll's at $118M right now. 6th highest in baseball.

Uribe and Crede make a combined $9.6M. If you could deal both, that would free up some major salary for a SP (but that's a pipedream, and you'd have to trade for one as there's really no-one left out there in FA unless you want to give Kyle Lohse a multiyear deal).

Do I think we've had a good off-season? Yes and no.

Some moves I like, some I don't. I'll address it more later.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
Payroll's at $118M right now. 6th highest in baseball.

Uribe and Crede make a combined $9.6M. If you could deal both, that would free up some major salary for a SP (but that's a pipedream, and you'd have to trade for one as there's really no-one left out there in FA unless you want to give Kyle Lohse a multiyear deal).

Do I think we've had a good off-season? Yes and no.

Some moves I like, some I don't. I'll address it more later.

I just cannot make a determination on the entire offseason at this point. With Kenny, I like to wait until the end of spring training to see how he finishes up

i think it's difficult to accurately grade an offseason until you get into the following season and can see how some of the moves pan out. i know that's not really a trailblazing thought, but i generally try hold off on any assessments until i see our team on the field. i will say that on paper, we are better. then again, we were better on paper before 2006 than in 2005 and we know how that turned out.

that said, i do think that at the least kenny made a nice recovery from what was looking like a bad situation. we can debate the merits of trading some top prospects away all day long, but kw has said from the end of the season until now that he is in a win-now mode. with that philosophy in place, it's understandable why he'd trade prospects.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)
Doesn't matter how the offseason went.... haven't you all read the columnists in this town?? The Sox are doomed and the Scrubs are destinted ....Man these writers make me want to vomit.

These are the same geniuses who said the Bears were the team to beat in the NFC and the Bulls were the team to beat in the Eastern Conference. I guess, come to think of it, they were right...they were "teams to beat" and their opponents did and are doing just that. I'm with the sunny optimists; no one predicted the Sox to win the World Series in '05. Baseball is a funny game; you make your moves, roll the dice, then watch what happens.

For all the Crede speculators out there...what happens to his trade value (one year then free agent) if/when A-Rod or Mike Lowell or (fill in your favorite stud 3b-man's name on a team that's supposed to contend here) breaks his leg in spring training? And whilst you're considering that...anyone have Jeff Gillhooly's phone number?

-Buck

I like our ML roster balance, at least on paper, especially if everyone just performs at their level.

I've never been a big "prospect" person, because 90% of can't miss prospects, well, seem to miss. So trading a farm hand or two or ten or percieved "great prospects" has never had an effect on me, either way.

I will b**** a time or two this season, I'm sure...but I will still go see the team play. Nothing like a cold winter to show us how much we appreciate a dog with fried onions and yellow mustard, a churro, and some mexican corn with a cold beer or ten while watching a game at the ol' ballpark. Even if the team loses. :D

*drool*

I agree with the original post. While it is impossible to predict whether any team is ever good enough to win it all in Jan, I do think we have made some significant upgrades and have endured very little down grades to the major league team in return. I do like how our bullpen, defense and offense will be better this upcoming year, but I also like how we have not really taken on any crazy contract and we will continue to have flexibility to get a player in the coming years to build on this. We have gotten younger, more athletic in general and deeper in the bullpen.

I like this quote from Kenny:

''One thing that is being underestimated is we had an awful lot of guys perform below their levels [last year]. We don't need them to perform above their level this year but at their level. Anyone that thinks you can anoint a division winner in January, you would be mistaken. We were anointed in '06, and you saw where that got us.''

:gosox3:

Aren't the Sox still getting money from the Phils for Thome? That would drop the actual payroll number.

But to the original question, I think Kenny has bounced back pretty well considering what happened to the Sox at the beginning. I don't know if both will go, but at least one of Uribe and Crede will go...I'm guessing Crede since he doesn't have the flexibility of playing multiple positions like Uribe does. Hopefully they both go.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
Aren't the Sox still getting money from the Phils for Thome? That would drop the actual payroll number.

But to the original question, I think Kenny has bounced back pretty well considering what happened to the Sox at the beginning. I don't know if both will go, but at least one of Uribe and Crede will go...I'm guessing Crede since he doesn't have the flexibility of playing multiple positions like Uribe does. Hopefully they both go.

Something just below $7 million this year.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
This offseason has been pretty good so far. If they can deal Uribe, Crede and MacD, and pick up an SP, then I'll be very psyched for 2008.

My exact thoughts.

You can't ignore how much the offense is improved with Swisher, Quentin, and Cabrera in... but we need SP and need to deal some of these extra pieces.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
My exact thoughts.

You can't ignore how much the offense is improved with Swisher, Quentin, and Cabrera in... but we need SP and need to deal some of these extra pieces.

I agree we need to move Crede's salary and Uribe's if at all possible, but I still say you guys are seriously underestimating the quality we have in our starting pitching...at least I hope you are.

I like the optimism, guys. And the thought of dogs and brews at the park on a warm summer day. I'd go if the sox were 0-50 at this point. Winter sucks.

Anyway does anyone like the idea of keeping what we have (maybe adding a starter low risk high reward) and shuffling players around a lot? It's not usually something major league clubs try, but why the hell not? last year we were forced because of injuries, but we didn't have this depth. let me show you what I'm thinking.

Vs. RHP Day 1 (not of season, just a normal series)

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Thome - DH

Konerko - 1B

Dye - RF

Fields - 3B

AJP - C

Quentin - LF

Richar - 2B

Vs. LHP Day 2

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Crede - DH

Konerko - 1B

Dye - RF

Fields - 3B

Quentin - LF

Uribe - 2B

Hall - C

Vs. RHP Day 3

Ramirez - CF

Swisher - 1B

Thome - DH

Dye - RF

Crede - 3B

Fields - LF

AJP - C

Uribe - SS

Ozuna - 2B

Those aren't for sure, and Richar should be playing 2/3 but I left it just to show the possibilities. We've got lots of options, look at our multiple position players (to varying degrees, I know Fields isn't great in LF, etc.)

Ramirez - CF, SS, 2B

Dye - RF, 1B

Swisher - OF, 1B

Ozuna - 2B, 3B, LF

Fields - 3B, 1B, LF

Uribe - SS, 2B

I'm sure I'm missing some. Any thoughts? It would keep players healthy and rested. The starters would get 5+ games a week still.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
I like the optimism, guys. And the thought of dogs and brews at the park on a warm summer day. I'd go if the sox were 0-50 at this point. Winter sucks.

Anyway does anyone like the idea of keeping what we have (maybe adding a starter low risk high reward) and shuffling players around a lot? It's not usually something major league clubs try, but why the hell not? last year we were forced because of injuries, but we didn't have this depth. let me show you what I'm thinking.

Vs. RHP Day 1 (not of season, just a normal series)

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Thome - DH

Konerko - 1B

Dye - RF

Fields - 3B

AJP - C

Quentin - LF

Richar - 2B

Vs. LHP Day 2

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Crede - DH

Konerko - 1B

Dye - RF

Fields - 3B

Quentin - LF

Uribe - 2B

Hall - C

Vs. RHP Day 3

Ramirez - CF

Swisher - 1B

Thome - DH

Dye - RF

Crede - 3B

Fields - LF

AJP - C

Uribe - SS

Ozuna - 2B

Those aren't for sure, and Richar should be playing 2/3 but I left it just to show the possibilities. We've got lots of options, look at our multiple position players (to varying degrees, I know Fields isn't great in LF, etc.)

Ramirez - CF, SS, 2B

Dye - RF, 1B

Swisher - OF, 1B

Ozuna - 2B, 3B, LF

Fields - 3B, 1B, LF

Uribe - SS, 2B

I'm sure I'm missing some. Any thoughts? It would keep players healthy and rested. The starters would get 5+ games a week still.

I already hate Ozzie's Sunday lineups. This would be even worse. Why constantly not have your best lineup out there? A sub here and there is fine, but everyday is just a waste.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
I agree we need to move Crede's salary and Uribe's if at all possible, but I still say you guys are seriously underestimating the quality we have in our starting pitching...at least I hope you are.

If JC was younger and more stable, i'd agree with you. But 3 big question makes is one too many. And I don't think Broadway or Egbert have as much chance of success as, say, Colon (yet). And I think its likely a 6th starter will be involved during the season.

I don't know, I don't really see much of a drop off there. Konerko won't get rest every series, and this way you can set them to go against LHP or RHP. Thome and AJP can't hit lefties; Crede, Kong, Fields, and Swish Kill them. Why not give big Jim a rest and keep him positive instead of an 0-3, 1BB, 2 K day vs a tough LHP? Keeps him healthy, too. I guess that's more what I'm saying than put in Ozuna 3 times a week. Why not get use Crede, Ramirez, Hall, and Uribe to spell Thome, AJP, and Richar some?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)

I would say I don't underestimate it. With the divorce behind him and another Cuban on the roster Jose Contreras has the ability to contend for Cy Young and I think an era under 4 is highly possible (of course he could completely bomb as well). But without Danks taking HUGE strides and Floyd proving that his September numbers weren't a direct result of September callups, that rotation is in some trouble. I'd like one other vet as an insurance policy at least... unless we think Broadway can handle that role.

Three big question marks is just two too many entering a season, but we'll see.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
If JC was younger and more stable, i'd agree with you. But 3 big question makes is one too many. And I don't think Broadway or Egbert have as much chance of success as, say, Colon (yet). And I think its likely a 6th starter will be involved during the season.

And I still look at our minor leagues and see several guys who could come up and be expected to be adequate in that role, even with Gio no longer being there. I think there's a decent chance that enough guys have solid seasons this year, (between Sisco, Egbert, Broadway, Haeger) that we'll want to move Jose just to clear another rotation spot for a young guy instead of just to find someone else to take on his contract. And I think that if the Mets and Royals aren't interested in Colon, then there's probably a strong case to be made that one of our AA guys could come up and have more success than Colon.

I understand the specific concern on JC, hopefully we'll find out that a lot of his struggles last year were due in no small part to the personal issues he had to go through. If not though, then I still think we have enough depth to make that less of a worry.

Outside of the Garland deal, I really like what I've seen from the Buehrle extension through the Dotel signing. I don't know what Uribe and Crede will net, but I expect them to be moved by the deadline. Hopefully they'll be competitive this year and KW will wait until next winter to deal Paulie.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
And I still look at our minor leagues and see several guys who could come up and be expected to be adequate in that role, even with Gio no longer being there. I think there's a decent chance that enough guys have solid seasons this year, (between Sisco, Egbert, Broadway, Haeger) that we'll want to move Jose just to clear another rotation spot for a young guy instead of just to find someone else to take on his contract. And I think that if the Mets and Royals aren't interested in Colon, then there's probably a strong case to be made that one of our AA guys could come up and have more success than Colon.

I understand the specific concern on JC, hopefully we'll find out that a lot of his struggles last year were due in no small part to the personal issues he had to go through. If not though, then I still think we have enough depth to make that less of a worry.

I hope you are right. And I agree that Eggy and maybe Broadway might be ready to contribute in 2008. Key word: might. I just think the rotation has two very reliable guys, and 3 very big question marks. And I also think that the fortunes of that back 3 in the rotation are going to be the key difference maker for the team in 2008. That's why I'd prefer to have one more high-potential horse like Colon in the mix.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)

I would agree with that. Javy really impressed me last year and i have a feeling that Contreras will bounce back. Hopefully his family issues are resolved.