Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

Damn, you are a lot more optimistic on IU's next too games than I am. Minny did beat a decent Penn St. team on the road today.

But I hope you are right. I think they can be good, and there are going to be games when they gel early and blow teams out, but there are also going to be games closer than we might think.

Let's hope tomorrow is not one of them.

Edited by Rex Hudler

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 04:14 AM)
Predictions on tomorrow's IU/UI game?

IU 78 UI 55

i don't think it will be quite that bad but i don't see illinois keeping it within single digits.

i'm looking forward to watching gordon, though. despite all that happened, he's a rare talent and you have to appreciate those when they come along.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
Before you go ga-ga over Tubby and Minnesota consider the fact that their wins are: Army, Iowa St., Central Michigan, UC Riverside, North Dakota St, Colorado St., Santa Clara, Nicholls St., Kennesaw St., Northwestern, and Penn State. Pathetic. They haven't beaten one worthwhile opponent. Indiana by 20+...White is playing like an absolute animal lately. Ellis does everything. Gordon is Gordon. And the bench is very strong assuming Bassett is healthy enough to play.

We are a very, very good team at home, so I don't think there is any way that Indiana wins by 20. That being said, I expect Indiana to win by at least 10. I like what the Gophers have done, and that win at PSU was huge (it's the type of game we wouldn't show up for last year, and we would have lost by 20+), but Indiana is a much better team than Penn State, and White is going to be very dangerous against the Gophers.

Still, props to the Gophers for going on the road, getting down, and still coming through and pulling out a tough win.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Minnesota wins.

Id say Tubby Smith early favorite for Big 10 coach of the year. I know Bo Ryan could be a candidate, but unlike Seth Davis and other sports pundits, I felt Wisconsin would be competing for a Big 10 title to start the year so their record isnt a huge shock to me.

Minnesota on the other hand would have been a bottom dweller, but Tubby has some magic going on.

If the Gophers continue to play like they have been lately, I see no way he isn't Big 10 coach of the year. No one expected the Gophers to be good this year, and with 2 games down in the Big 10 schedule, and a successful non-conference run, they're looking like a pretty decent team.

I still don't think they make the tournament, but we'll learn a lot more about this team with these next two games against Michigan State and Indiana.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 04:07 AM)
Before you go ga-ga over Tubby and Minnesota consider the fact that their wins are: Army, Iowa St., Central Michigan, UC Riverside, North Dakota St, Colorado St., Santa Clara, Nicholls St., Kennesaw St., Northwestern, and Penn State. Pathetic. They haven't beaten one worthwhile opponent. Indiana by 20+...White is playing like an absolute animal lately. Ellis does everything. Gordon is Gordon. And the bench is very strong assuming Bassett is healthy enough to play.

with all due respect, i don't see anyone going "ga-ga." i see minnesota fans excited about their season after a few down years and i see some opposing fans (like rex) expressing respect for what they've accomplished and showing knowledge of how the big ten works. sometimes, in this league in particular, winning on the road is difficult whether or not you have superior talent (see the msu-iowa game last night). besides, although i think indiana is better than minnesota, who exactly have the hoosiers beat that would clearly identify them as this juggernaut? to me, the best team they played was xavier, and we know how that game panned out.

and this is no disrespect to indiana or it's fans. we have many great indiana posters here who understand college basketball. unfortunately (just like with illinois a few years ago) we also have many fans with absolutely no perspective or ability to view their team in an objective light. that gets really tiresome, particularly when people try to use this narrow view to pound other teams for no good reason.

just my $.02.

I think it's obvious that North Carolina and Kansas are a cut above the rest right now with their depth and experience, and I hate to do this since I know Jimbo will read it, but Kansas has to be #1 right now IMO (regardless of what the polls says) because of how well they play consistent defense, unlike what I've seen of UNC so far.

Oh, and Tubby should already clear the mantle for his Big 10 COY award. He's a first year guy that is doing a great job taking over what was a disaster of a program until this year, and everybody expects Wisconsin to be good every year now with the job Bo Ryan does.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I think it's obvious that North Carolina and Kansas are a cut above the rest right now with their depth and experience, and I hate to do this since I know Jimbo will read it, but Kansas has to be #1 right now IMO (regardless of what the polls says) because of how well they play consistent defense, unlike what I've seen of UNC so far.

I know Memphis is conference USA, but I'll take that squad over UNC and Kansas right now. Kansas a close second. All 3 teams are top notch, obviously.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
I know Memphis is conference USA, but I'll take that squad over UNC and Kansas right now. Kansas a close second. All 3 teams are top notch, obviously.

Memphis is definitely up there at #3 right now, and they play outstanding defense too and have a lot of guys with experience, but I think if they played somebody like Kansas who would make them hit shots from the perimeter, they'd have problems. Plus, their C-USA schedule is going to not do them any favors, however Memphis has a shot at making a circa 2005 Illinois like run here in regards to a perfect record.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
they've done a good job against Gordon. This was the team I was expecting. A team that can play good D, hit a few shots and MAKE SOME F'N FREE THROWS.

You know it's bad when they are shooting 75% from FT and you feel they are doing awesome from there.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
In a game no ones watching, Illinois leading Indiana by 4 at IU at the Half.

Doubt they win, but still, Illinois has been playing some what tough the last game and a half.

i rarely give billy packer credit but he pointed out something i noticed a bit against wisky. for the first time there was good ball movement, sharp cuts, and things that showed an understanding of motion. it was encouraging to see and hopefully something they can build on.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)

You gotta love Memphis' athleticism. Tough to match it. Dorsey vs Crazy T would be a great matchup. I agree with you on Memphis. They just can't be matched up with 1 through 5, imo.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
i rarely give billy packer credit but he pointed out something i noticed a bit against wisky. for the first time there was good ball movement, sharp cuts, and things that showed an understanding of motion. it was encouraging to see and hopefully something they can build on.

Yeah totally. This is a completely different Illinois team that I watched a few days ago. Could be a season saver for them if they can pull this one out.

Any ideas why Indiana is not playing a zone? Illinois hasn't been able to shoot from the outside so far this season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
IU getting all the calls. Ratliff didn't even get touched there, just flat out blew the layup. May have helped us though.

IU is faster and more athletic at every position. Those calls are fouls....although yeah, Meacham didn't touch him there...

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
Ratliff didn't get touched and Ellis just shoved Brock out of the way for IU's putback. But yeah you are right.

I agree about Ratliff...edited my previous post.

But Illinois is just physically outclassed and they are starting to look tired (Brock especially).

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)

Oh, and Tubby should already clear the mantle for his Big 10 COY award. He's a first year guy that is doing a great job taking over what was a disaster of a program until this year, and everybody expects Wisconsin to be good every year now with the job Bo Ryan does.

I think the win at Texas puts Bo in the lead currently, but if Minnesota can finished above .500 in the conference (which is very possible), I think Tubby takes it home. Tough to lose Cam Taylor and Tucker and still be this good. It's gonna be a good race between the two. Can't go wrong with either. The Big Ten has some seriously good coaches. Gotta respect Lickliter too. Another great 1st year coach. Should be fun to see Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa getting back into the race here in the next few years.