Spring Training is Officially Here

joejoesox

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox94 @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
BOBBY looks like Sidney Ponson

He definitely looks fat in that picture. Did Juan actually come in to camp fat? I was assuming he hadn't reported yet (since most of the players, aside from Crede or anyone else coming back from injury, wouldn't be reporting yet.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
If you look closely his entire set of fingers is outside the glove as well.

maybe thaaats why his fielding has been so bad. someone should really point out to him that you're supposed to put your fingers IN the glove...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
If you look closely his entire set of fingers is outside the glove as well.

I just read the caption on the trib site:

White Sox third baseman Josh Fields practices with an undersized glove after showing up early for spring training on Sunday.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
I just read the caption on the trib site:

White Sox third baseman Josh Fields practices with an undersized glove after showing up early for spring training on Sunday.

Maybe he should try picking up the one sitting on the base?

Masset isn't the only reliever who is getting praised.

Feeling that he was "too thin and not as strong as I need to be," MacDougal also put on 10 pounds of muscle through offseason work with a personal trainer. Those changes already have caught Guillen's eye, with the manager praising MacDougal following Sunday's bullpen session.

i've yet to see a photo of contreras.

nice to see anderson hanging around early. I read that Thome's there, too.

Thome checks in

TUCSON, Ariz. – The biggest knock manager Ozzie Guillen had on his clubhouse this offseason was there were too many nice guys, too many guys willing to lead by example, rather than by voice.

While Jim Thome isn’t the type of guy to start getting in his the faces of teammates after 17 major-league seasons, he did agree with his skipper, as well as point out on Monday that he might be “Mr. Nice Guy’’ off the field, but on the field, it’s a different story.

“I think being aggressive, having a little bit of that arrogance, and if you call it meanness, sure,’’ Thome explained. “Having a little chip on your shoulder, a little arrogance with yourself. That’s what I think is the little intangible that helps you win.’’

Asked if his Mayberry persona is capable of that, Thome didn’t hesitate to answer.

“Is it my character? I’m not a mean guy, but I’m a mean guy on the field when we compete,’’ Thome said. “You may not see it, but trust me, I have a lot of heart and desire that if you’re out there, I’m going to try and beat you. Do whatever it takes.’’

As for the reason he showed up into camp four days early, Thome said he wants to set a tone for this season.

“Again, the ultimate goal coming into spring training is to win that championship,’’ the slugger said. “How you get everyone on the same page to do it? You’ve got to be healthy, a lot of things have to go right. That’s our goal here this spring. Get going early, get our team together early and try and build that camaraderie and that team orientation early, and then take it on into the year.’’

anyone listen to or watch the AJ interview on the sox site? haha for each of the first two questions the reporter asked him, he replied instantly by saying "HUH!" both times. it was hilarious to me. the first time it seemed like it was because a question he didnt want to answer, but the second time had me laughing even harder.