Sox-Rox 3/5 Game Thread

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
No. But yes Alexi has speed. He had a stand up triple the other day without even an attempt of a throw. He would of had an inside the park HR if Gathright was slower or bobbled the ball.

SoxFan1 beat me to it. But yeah, not sure on his base stealing abilities.

I f***ed up my Uribe comment, it was supposed to be Does Uribe like seconds? Alexei is fast. Hopefully they can work with him on his defense, and see how his ST numbers project to the season.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
I don't see how Alexi doesn't make the team....and start at 2nd base. Especially if you can unload Uribe. I think he can contribute a lot like Asdrubal Cabrera does with the Tribe. Play 2nd and SS for them. He will probably hit less HR and play worse defense than Cabrera but is a cheaper and better version than Uribe.

As of week 2 in ST, I agree. However, right now only a handlefull of teams have scouted him and it was more of a tryout basis. He may break camp with the team and tear it up for a couple months before someone identifies a hole in his swing and poof, he becomes Pedro Serrano. Not everyone fails in the conventional Brian Anderson way.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Well I had to ask...Konerko has an Inside the park HR in his career and no one would ever think of that

from what I remember it hit a flag pole or some hard piece of metal and the OFer had no chance since it ended up so far away from him.

Was it Tampa out to right center?

I'd still have Ramirez to start the season off down in AAA.

He needs to be playing every-day, whether it's at 2B, SS or CF. He can do that in Charlotte.

I don't see him as a starter for the Sox, because he's still too rusty defensively for mine. He's got the natural athletic ability to be a good defender, but he needs to refine some thing first. Offensively at least I think he's shown he's ahead of where people thought he may be against major league pitching (even though it's ST in Arizona).

I'd have Richar at 2B, Ramirez at AAA, and trade Uribe, and have Bourgeois on the 25 man roster (but in this scenario they're likely to keep Uribe for insurance I think).

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Well I had to ask...Konerko has an Inside the park HR in his career and no one would ever think of that

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
from what I remember it hit a flag pole or some hard piece of metal and the OFer had no chance since it ended up so far away from him when the entire outfield had a stroke, the infielders' legs all broke and time stopped.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
Anderson with a 2-R HR and an assist. Think he's still a White Sock tomorrow.

According to Dave van Dych's article in the Trib today, both Quentin and Owens are hurting.

Could it be that Brian ends up coming north with the team as a starter? :o

Anderson to get traded, to the Marlins.

With Maybin hurting a bit with his hamstring, they'll need a young CF to replace him, BA would be the perfect candidate.

If the Sox just wanted to bring up another OF, they could just go with Bourgeois instead.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
Anderson to get traded, to the Marlins.

With Maybin hurting a bit with his hamstring, they'll need a young CF to replace him, BA would be the perfect candidate.

If the Sox just wanted to bring up another OF, they could just go with Bourgeois instead.

Why trade him just to make a trade? Why not keep the depth with an aging team? I dont understand the notion of everyone on this site to trade anyone that isnt a starter.

I don't mind that option either.

But I'm just thinking what the Sox management would do here. It's obvious BA isn't in their plans. Why would they have traded for Quentin, and be giving Owens such an opportunity to win a job, if they still thought BA was capable of producing?

If he can build up his value just enough so that the Sox could get some young pitching for him (and the Marlins are pretty loaded there), I think they'd pull the trigger.

If you keep BA, he doesn't get a chance and he struggles again in Charlotte, his trade value is completely shot.

Unless you can get a good pitching prospect, why trade BA? I'd keep him around at the 5th OF, behind Dye, Swisher, Owens and Quentin. BA's a great late-inning defensive replacement, and clearly his bat is coming around (although, granted, it is March 5th).

I also agree with one of the earlier posts about starting Ramirez at AAA. Again to the March 5th point... the guy is still very raw defensively and we can't afford that. Go with Richar at 2B to start the season, with Uribe the highest-paid utility man in baseball. If Alexi is lighting it up at AAA, bring him up and dump Juan. But I'm a defense-first guy, and Richar seems the most solid at 2B.