Riiiiight...

kapkomet

Some of you may have already seen this, but it's true... :D

How to use the rebate

As you may have heard the Bush Administration said each and every one of us would now get a nice rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs, if we purchase a computer it will all go to India, if we purchase fruit and vegetables it will all go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala, if we purchase a good car it will all go to Japan, if we purchase useless crap it will all go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes , cigarettes and beer, since those are the only businesses still in the US.

What sometimes is forgotten is those foreign cars are sold by Americans, are delivered via trains and trucks by Americans, are serviced by Americans. It isn't like a total loss.

And, if you live on the border, hookers are legal in Mexico, I like imported beer, so I guess I have to start smoking.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
What sometimes is forgotten is those foreign cars are sold by Americans, are delivered via trains and trucks by Americans, are serviced by Americans. It isn't like a total loss.

And, if you live on the border, hookers are legal in Mexico, I like imported beer, so I guess I have to start smoking.

I'll be in Texas Friday ... let's go!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
We really should catch up sometime, even if it's not this trip - at least sometime.

Yes we should. It would be great if we tried seeing the Sox in Arlington. I know we tried that once and it didn't work out. But just meeting for a drink is good too. However, I think I'm pretty well booked up for this trip.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Yes we should. It would be great if we tried seeing the Sox in Arlington. I know we tried that once and it didn't work out. But just meeting for a drink is good too. However, I think I'm pretty well booked up for this trip.

The Sox are here the weekend AFTER the 4th of July, IIRC. I was looking at a schedule last week.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
They could actually use it towards purchase an American car, and support one of the last remaining industries that provides things like heath insurance and a pension to its workers...

Just make sure the car isn't made in Mexico then.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Just make sure the car isn't made in Mexico then.

You have to define what you mean by "made in". No one "makes" a car from the ground up anymore, They all are buying components from around the world. In Reynosa, Mexico, across the river from me, are companies that make seats, wiper blades, stereos, batteries, key chain remotes, various lift motors, wiper motors, wires, cables, and a few more I am forgetting. But no cars are "made in" Reynosa.

absolutely true.. the biggest misconception in the automobile market is that of "Us automakers"

After a long, somewhat calm arguement with a girl who bought her Saturn because it was made in the US and had to support those US automarkers, I calmly took her out to her car, opened up the drivers side door and pointed to the white sticker on the inside which clearly stated that 85% of the car was produced and assembled in Mexico. I think the other 15% was Canada too. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

You want to support a US worker with your tax refund, go buy a Mitsubishi (Normal, IL), Toyota (I think KY) or a Honda (Ohio)

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
absolutely true.. the biggest misconception in the automobile market is that of "Us automakers"

After a long, somewhat calm arguement with a girl who bought her Saturn because it was made in the US and had to support those US automarkers, I calmly took her out to her car, opened up the drivers side door and pointed to the white sticker on the inside which clearly stated that 85% of the car was produced and assembled in Mexico. I think the other 15% was Canada too. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

You want to support a US worker with your tax refund, go buy a Mitsubishi (Normal, IL), Toyota (I think KY) or a Honda (Ohio)

Toyotas are also made in Ohio.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't understand how everyone can make excuses not to buy American cars, but then villify Wal-Mart. The irony is too rich.

Since every car I've ever purchased is an American brand, is it OK that I don't like Wal-Mart?

I like my indignation to be righteous.

:)

I think my brother is the only member of my family to have purchased a foreign brand. We disowned him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
I don't understand how everyone can make excuses not to buy American cars, but then villify Wal-Mart. The irony is too rich.

what is your definition of an American Car? GM where the HQ is in Detroit, but most of the assembly takes place in Mexico or Toyota where the HQ is in Japan but most of the assembly takes place in the US?

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
what is your definition of an American Car? GM where the HQ is in Detroit, but most of the assembly takes place in Mexico or Toyota where the HQ is in Japan but most of the assembly takes place in the US?

I would go with the American car companies, it seems pretty simple to me. I know you can split hairs all over the place (and are obviously setting up to do JUST that), but the fact remains, that the American car companies pay more than their Japanese counterparts, and they offer WAY better benefit plans. The Japanese car companies are costing American's $100,000 a year jobs which include a pension and lifetime health benefits. Wal-mart is costing towns $10 an hour grocery store/pharmacy/toy store jobs, which usually have small to no benefits. I will never understand why companies who take record profits OUT of the US every year, contributing to things like the trade deficit and the falling dollar, yet are protesting out in front of Wal-Mart, as if they are more evil than Toyota or Honda. It is because of precisely those companies that the American car companies are sending their plants to places like Canada and Mexico, and laying off US workers. Silly me, I would rather protect the high paying jobs, versus the poverty level jobs, but what do I know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
I would go with the American car companies, it seems pretty simple to me. I know you can split hairs all over the place (and are obviously setting up to do JUST that), but the fact remains, that the American car companies pay more than their Japanese counterparts, and they offer WAY better benefit plans. The Japanese car companies are costing American's $100,000 a year jobs which include a pension and lifetime health benefits. Wal-mart is costing towns $10 an hour grocery store/pharmacy/toy store jobs, which usually have small to no benefits. I will never understand why companies who take record profits OUT of the US every year, contributing to things like the trade deficit and the falling dollar, yet are protesting out in front of Wal-Mart, as if they are more evil than Toyota or Honda. It is because of precisely those companies that the American car companies are sending their plants to places like Canada and Mexico, and laying off US workers. Silly me, I would rather protect the high paying jobs, versus the poverty level jobs, but what do I know.

I do not have lifetime health benefits nor do I have a guaranteed lifetime pension. Yet I am very well educated and unless I take a public sector job have no real opportunity for either of those benfits. Sorry if my sympathies for the UAW are not that great but as unions and public service benefits cripple the taxes owed by those in the non-union private sector we are forced to continually pay for them. John Stroger was elected because he promised the union folk that work for the county nice steady pay raises. Go see the the Cook County Board tax increase to see how this funding was met. I drive a Ford and a Chevy and have never owned a Foreign car BTW.

Other than taxes owed to their respective government what are the differences between an American and Foreign company. If Toyota employs more American workers than Ford can I not invest in a foreign exchange and therfore invest in Toyota (I am pretty ignorant to foreign investing by the way) and except for the payment of taxes to Japan what are the differences between the two companies?

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)

North America content. From the wheel to the antennas, where are the components coming from and where are they being put together.