North v South

Texsox

That's weak. PA elected Santorum (to the US Senate, no less) and Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming.

As someone who lives in Montana for over 2 years I don't give a s*** where it is geographically the people in that region are far more like southerners then northerners. It's big cowboy culture up there. I can't remember the last time I saw cowboys roaming around Chicago, New York, or any other major northern city.

Edited by AngelasDaddy0427

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
As someone who lives in Montana for over 2 years I don't give a s*** where it is geographically the people in that region are far more like southerners then northerners. It's big cowboy culture up there. I can't remember the last time I saw cowboys roaming around Chicago, New York, or any other major northern city.

So we can take parts of the north and say they really don't count? If the point is comparing north and south, we should compare all the north and all the south.

right right, the north is all arrogant, poor mannered racists. Forgot.

In my northern liberal school they taught us to chew with our mouths open and slam the doors on people's faces when they are entering a room.

I'll put my views into this. I believe it was Texsox that said the south does a very good job as adressing elders as Mr. and Mrs., hold doors open, push chairs in. Being from Iowa, I've always been told to do that, I guess I've thought that to be just as much Midwestern values as it is Southeran values. It's probably more courtesy values than anything else. I haven't thought that the North is superior to the South, I consider this country as a whole. If anything, Iowa has a rivaly with Minnesota, we like to make fun of each other. If I was a Civil War reenactor, I'd chose the North since I'm from the North.

I don't have much experience going farther south than Missouri other than two times. The first time I was 15 and went to Arkansas, some locals wanted to play with us, but they're accents were so strange to me I couldn't help but laugh a little bit, but then I got over that quickly and we got along with the kids for the week. They were pretty fun to play with. The second time I had just graduated and my friends and I were going to New Orleans. We stopped in Mississippi and the people there were friendly. They'd come up and ask where we were from and stuff like that. I've always been more reserved and maybe northerners keep to themselves more than southerners, I'm not sure. But if someome comes up and talks to me, I'll talk to them and carry on a conversation.

Anyways one question I wonder, maybe some of you history buffs and answer this but right after the Civil War ended, and into the 20th Century, the South were primarily Democrat and African-Americans were primarily Republican, at least in Iowa. Now it's the complete reversal. Anyone have a reason for that?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
I'll put my views into this. I believe it was Texsox that said the south does a very good job as adressing elders as Mr. and Mrs., hold doors open, push chairs in. Being from Iowa, I've always been told to do that, I guess I've thought that to be just as much Midwestern values as it is Southeran values. It's probably more courtesy values than anything else. I haven't thought that the North is superior to the South, I consider this country as a whole. If anything, Iowa has a rivaly with Minnesota, we like to make fun of each other. If I was a Civil War reenactor, I'd chose the North since I'm from the North.

I don't have much experience going farther south than Missouri other than two times. The first time I was 15 and went to Arkansas, some locals wanted to play with us, but they're accents were so strange to me I couldn't help but laugh a little bit, but then I got over that quickly and we got along with the kids for the week. They were pretty fun to play with. The second time I had just graduated and my friends and I were going to New Orleans. We stopped in Mississippi and the people there were friendly. They'd come up and ask where we were from and stuff like that. I've always been more reserved and maybe northerners keep to themselves more than southerners, I'm not sure. But if someome comes up and talks to me, I'll talk to them and carry on a conversation.

Anyways one question I wonder, maybe some of you history buffs and answer this but right after the Civil War ended, and into the 20th Century, the South were primarily Democrat and African-Americans were primarily Republican, at least in Iowa. Now it's the complete reversal. Anyone have a reason for that?

I'd tend to say it's Iowa vs. Missouri here.

One thing I noticed here in Ames was people opened doors for other people. A lot. It was almost weird.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
I'd tend to say it's Iowa vs. Missouri here.

One thing I noticed here in Ames was people opened doors for other people. A lot. It was almost weird.

I'm sure it depends where you're from in the state. I'm 30 minutes from Minnesota and 3 hours from Missouri so in my area it's Minnesota. At UNI it's hard to say, I know a lot of Minnesotans go here, as well as a few Wisconsinites.

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)

cowboys are southern? So now Colorado, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, etc. are all Southern states? :lolhitting

BTW, Illinois sits further south than Kentucky and Virginia.

And at least from the stories I've read, cowboys were among the least racist groups. The cabaleros from Mexico worked side by side with the Anglos. As long as you could get your work done, all was cool.

Here is a list of race riots in the US. North vs. South, you make the call.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
cowboys are southern? So now Colorado, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, etc. are all Southern states? :lolhitting

And at least from the stories I've read, cowboys were among the least racist groups. The cabaleros from Mexico worked side by side with the Anglos. As long as you could get your work done, all was cool.

Iowa is culturally similar to a southern state in many ways. And southern Illinois is definitely the south.

You have no idea how wrong you are. Native Americans are still treated like garbage up there. Not only that but they import other peoples racists and wackos who hang out in the woods and mountains then they broadcast on shortwave radio.

Edited by AngelasDaddy0427

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)
You have no idea how wrong you are. Native Americans are still treated like garbage up there. Not only that but they import other peoples racists and wackos who hang out in the woods and mountains then they broadcast on shortwave radio.

Yes, people who live in the west are all short wave radio-listening militia whackjobs. You nailed that one.

Do I need the green?

And, news flash - American Indians have been stomped on and treated like s*** by this nation since Corte-Real landed. Nothing new there.

Racism is everywhere, but that's not the same as saying its in everyone. And no one region has a special claim to it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)

That is incorrect. Parts of southern Illinois sits farther south than parts of northern Kentucky. Cairo is the southernmost point in Illinois, which is bordered by the northernmost KY county along the Mississippi.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
How?

Which?

I lived in Iowa for 5 years. My opinion is that the culture is an interesting mix of southern and midwestern. I realize the southern part doesn't make sense geographically, but... it was like midwestern friendliness mixed with southern hospitality. They were in less of a hurry than midwesterners though, more like my experiences in the south. But a very strong, midwestern work ethic and attitude.

Southern illinois? Just feels like the south to me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Which?

I lived in Iowa for 5 years. My opinion is that the culture is an interesting mix of southern and midwestern. I realize the southern part doesn't make sense geographically, but... it was like midwestern friendliness mixed with southern hospitality. They were in less of a hurry than midwesterners though, more like my experiences in the south. But a very strong, midwestern work ethic and attitude.

Southern illinois? Just feels like the south to me.

It sounds like you're confusing "rural" and "southern". People are in just as much of a hurry in Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, etc. (Maybe not NO, but that's an outlier in every group.)

So do we northerners get those cities? Cuz that'd be awesome if Austin suddenly got closer, I'd love to visit again.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
I think we should just have a war to settle this whole argument.

It'll be like nothing ever done before.

Just tell me when and where, and I'll be there with a picnic basket to watch the north stomp down the south. Pfft, not even a challenge. :headbang

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
It sounds like you're confusing "rural" and "southern". People are in just as much of a hurry in Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, etc. (Maybe not NO, but that's an outlier in every group.)

So do we northerners get those cities? Cuz that'd be awesome if Austin suddenly got closer, I'd love to visit again.

I've actually lived in a southern city, Memphis, which has a million people. And yeah, its a waaaaaaaaay slower lifestyle than Chicago, for example. And I noticed it was similar in other cities in the region I visited like Nashville and Little Rock. I have yet to decide if that slower lifestyle is better or worse - probably better. But its not just the rural vs urban thing. There is a real difference in my experience from the south to the midwest in those terms.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
I've actually lived in a southern city, Memphis, which has a million people. And yeah, its a waaaaaaaaay slower lifestyle than Chicago, for example. And I noticed it was similar in other cities in the region I visited like Nashville and Little Rock. I have yet to decide if that slower lifestyle is better or worse - probably better. But its not just the rural vs urban thing. There is a real difference in my experience from the south to the midwest in those terms.

Compared to smaller midwestern cities, or Chicago? I would say the same thing about Indianapolis, for example. Do we put that in the south, now, or just say that smaller cities are different than bigger cities?

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)

Showing that northerners are racist proves me wrong, how?

And I was thinking more the cowboys down here, the Native inhabitants of this land were Mexicans.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
Compared to smaller midwestern cities, or Chicago? I would say the same thing about Indianapolis, for example. Do we put that in the south, now, or just say that smaller cities are different than bigger cities?

I think there are two different sliding scales at work here. One is the size of the community, as you point out. The other are regional differences. If you want to compare similarly sized cities... Memphis and Milwaukee. I've spent a lot of time in both. The pace of life in Memphis is a lot slower than Milwaukee. You can also pick two cities in the same region of different size and get that - Chicago is faster than Des Moines, for example. I think both sliding scales have an effect.