Swish may lead off

Harry Chappas

from the Sun-Times

Meanwhile, the Sox have explored the idea of batting the switch-hitting Swisher in the leadoff spot if Owens' soreness persists. Guillen is resisting the urge to lift speedy No. 2 hitter Orlando Cabrera a notch, even though Swisher never has batted leadoff. He has hit everywhere else during his major-league career, but his .381 on-base percentage last season impresses Guillen.

''I lean toward Swish,'' Guillen said. ''I know Nick is not a typical leadoff hitter, but the only thing I need from a leadoff hitter is to get on base and score some runs.

''I don't want to move [Cabrera] because he is a real good second hitter -- he can make a lot of things happen. The only thing I worry about with a leadoff hitter is get on base. If you can steal bases, that's a plus. But if you get on base, the guys behind you can do the job.''

Ideally, the Sox would prefer to keep Owens in the leadoff spot and bat Swisher sixth or seventh. But Guillen wants stability from the leadoff spot, and Owens has yet to inspire confidence in that area.

I think Anderson and Swisher are CF and LF with Burgoise (Sp?) getting the final outfield spot while Owens and Quintin are sent to AAA to get healthy. If Thome will sit against LHP Quintin may be kept around.

For the record I have always liked Anderson, Vazquez (always thought he was worth more than Young and still do) and Gavin Floyd. I think this team is coming together sorry for the Soxtalk optimism.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
Hopefully they do this, as opposed to giving Owens a starting job. Swish would make a great leadoff man.

I actually dont like it because I think Swish is an RBI machine from what ive seen of him. But we really have no other option at this point.

With the current roster, it makes the most sense. Cabrera isn't a leadoff guy, he doesn't get on base enough. His talents are best utilized in the 2 hole. Swisher gets on base, and leading off will get him several more ABs through the course of the season. The Sox are fine 3,4,5. Swisher should help the team score more runs leading off than batting 6th.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
I would much rather have Swish come up with Cabrera on base then have Cabrera come up with Swish on base.

That's working under the assumption that those two things would happen equally as often. But they won't - Swisher is likely to have a significantly higher OBP. Therefore, in the view of many (myself included), its better to put him leading off.

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
I would much rather have Swish come up with Cabrera on base then have Cabrera come up with Swish on base.

Here's a few reasons why I would prefer Swish leading off. First and foremost, he has a high OBP. Second, he takes pitches. I believe he was 7th in the AL in average pitches per PA. Also Cabrera is just and damn good number 2 hitter.

If Swish gets on base more often to lead off the game, as his OBP indicates he will probably do, then you have a very good handler of the bat up there to move him into scoring position. You also have more instances of having a runner on base with no outs with Swish leading off. If Cabrera leads off and doesn't get on base, wish is more likely to happen, then Swish gets on ... you probably have a man on first, one out for Thome as opposed to a man in scoring position, one out. Of course, I'm aware the OC will get on base as well, but I'm talking about how Swish's superior OBP should come into play more often and more in the Sox favor with him leading off.

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)

Cabrera is a better hitter than Swisher but Swisher gets on base more than Cabrera.

Cabrera lead the AL in sacrifice flies therefore he can use the bat.

Swisher is best at getting on base and that is what you want from a lead off guy. Having Swisher give up at-bats to move Cabrera or let Cabrera steal, takes away from what Swisher does best whcih is make a pitcher work. If Swisher bats second his OBP will not be utilized as much as leading off.

Wade Boggs was the guy that I heard that is comparable to Swisher and although the high average is not comparable their baseball skills are close.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I think it's perfect.

agreed. We're lacking a true leadoff hitter, so go with the guy that will get on base the most.

I'm also loving that it looks like BA is getting another shot.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
agreed. We're lacking a true leadoff hitter, so go with the guy that will get on base the most.

I'm also loving that it looks like BA is getting another shot.

Also, it would mean more ABs for one of the best hitters on the team. I'm a fan of that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Wow, this makes sense.

Almost too much sense.

Something may be wrong.

What's wrong is that it's only March 13th (18 days away from Opening Day) there's still plenty of time for Owens to get healthy.