Final Four Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
I might believe Rose would have never gone to Illinois except that his brother works for Nike and Memphis is an Adidas school. Other than that small fact, I guess Illini fans can keep blaming Reggie when they should blame Bruce, but hey who needs facts.

you have to put the blame for derrick rose not being an illini on weber. whatever various other factors were in play, a coach is judged on bottom line results and he didn't get it done on rose or collins. but, that's water under the bridge at this point. frankly, as a cpl graduate i'm proud to see two cpl point guards playing prominent roles in the final four and championship game. that probably trumps any bitterness i'd have over the way their recruitments played out.

and i haven't been on since last night but, man, you have to give self and his team a lot of credit. it's been a long time since i've seen a team that is as good as carolina is (and make no mistake they are very good) get that bad of a beatdown put on them in the first half. kansas looked spectacular. gotta give self credit for having his team ready to roll right from the start. i'll take memphis in the title game, but self has put to rest a lot of the doubts about his his coaching ability, imo.

Edited by thedoctor

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Kansas & Memphis they were the best teams in two marquee matchups. My Heels were thumped early and often, it's a disappointing finish to a strong season. They made a good run at it, but the better team won. All around big time job by the Jayhawks & Tigers. I picked Kansas all year, but all 4 teams were so closely matched for these two to rise above and win so convincently is impressive. I'm just hopeing for a good game Monday.

Kind of poetic that the one aspect of Memphis' game that people thought would prevent them from being champs, did indeed come back to bite them, even after it looked like they had improved at the line during the tourney.

Congrats Jimbo! And thank you Kansas, I am $500 richer!!!

P.S. Nance and Packer were brutal tonight. Kansas was in a Box and 1 for 3 or 4 minutes before Packer realized it. They showed no emotion in the last minute of regulation. We want Gus next year!!!

My bracket was so bad that I didn't win anything even though I picked Kansas to win it all, lol. Anyways, what a fantastic game. Congrats to Kansas and even all grudges aside, I kinda feel good for Coach Self.

I just can't believe a team with Derrick Rose on it lost a huge game. I picked Kansas in November and before the tournament, but it just still amazes me Rose missed that free throw (although that all was CDR's fault overall that it went to OT).

Also, I know Coach Cal said they were trying to, but that was yet another example why you HAVE TO FOUL when your up 3 at the end. It's just a common sense play.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was yelling for a foul almost immediately after the inbounds as they got up the floor, maybe 8 seconds left, but Rose didn't look for it. Calipari said they were trying for it, but no one really appeared to be doing that on the floor. Pathetic strategy, that and free throws. Calipari looks lost as f*** right now in the press conference, not surprising.

Both coaches had a rough night tonight. Memphis blew it open when Kansas decided for some reason to switch to a box and 1 despite the fact they were already playing good defense. Then, Memphis blows a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left somehow and doesn't foul at the end up 3. I give Self credit though, a lot of people thought he was not a good enough coach to ever win it all and that's now proven false.

The other thing I'll say is I actually feel bad for the Memphis kids and fans, which tells you just how great a title game I think it was because I never feel that way.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
My bracket was so bad that I didn't win anything even though I picked Kansas to win it all, lol. Anyways, what a fantastic game. Congrats to Kansas and even all grudges aside, I kinda feel good for Coach Self.

I just can't believe a team with Derrick Rose on it lost a huge game. I picked Kansas in November and before the tournament, but it just still amazes me Rose missed that free throw (although that all was CDR's fault overall that it went to OT).

Also, I know Coach Cal said they were trying to, but that was yet another example why you HAVE TO FOUL when your up 3 at the end. It's just a common sense play.

I was shocked that Rose missed that FT as well. And while I still don't like Self at all, the fact that recruiting at Illinois has completely turned around and I actually have hope for great things again in the future makes me care a lot less about him. But while I give KU credit for making some big plays at the end, Memphis just flat out lost that game. Missed FTs by CDR were pathetic for a star player in that situation and I still don't understand why Memphis forced that inbounds pass to the corner that led to Collins' 3. You have multiple timeouts left, use them. That is about as big of a choke job in a championship game as you will ever see. Even Chris Webber would be proud.

Between the Illinois recruiting revival and Self's exorcism of the final demon that wasn't on his coaching resume (winning it all), to me the Self/Illinois thing should be dead and buried now for good (although it should have been a while before this).

As for the game, yeah it was lost and not won, but a large number of college games (especially ones with great comebacks) are lost more than they are won. That's what happens when 18 to 22 year old kids decide the outcome, and it's in part what makes the college game so great to watch. That shot by Chalmers will still live on forever as one of the greatest in the history of sport though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101