2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Honestly, there really is no convincing you of any bias, so as far as you are concerned nothing could ever be proven as far as a media bias. You think the NY Times is a complete unbiased news source. I'm not trying to insult you, I just think you have a very skewed view of what is appropriate or fair journalism.

There is no such thing as a complete unbiased news source. But what you believe is fair journalism (pro-right) and what I believe is fair journalism (call it as is) are two different things.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Honestly, there really is no convincing you of any bias, so as far as you are concerned nothing could ever be proven as far as a media bias. You think the NY Times is a complete unbiased news source. I'm not trying to insult you, I just think you have a very skewed view of what is appropriate or fair journalism.

but I will spare you any further posts on the media for a while, as i understand it is pissing people off and getting very redundant.

My whole problem with the "liberal media" thing is that it's mostly true, but the card gets played far too often to the point where the words have no meaning anymore. People throw out accusations of bias and conspiracy when they sometimes just aren't there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
There is no such thing as a complete unbiased news source. But what you believe is fair journalism (pro-right) and what I believe is fair journalism (call it as is) are two different things.

He admits sources that are biased to the right though.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Just going along with the atmosphere of the board. Whats the point getting into a discussion when any decent post will have 12 instant snark pro-Dem posts? I was going to commend you on your blue tinted glasses and note how stylish they are. But telling a poster they have tinted glasses and only see things from one perspective is what we are trying to avoid, correct?

Ok, I can go along with that. We'll see how long any sense of civility will last.

There are just as many posters from the right in here who spray snark all over the board, as there are on the left. The only reason the POST count for rah-rah and snark and shallow references in favor of the Dems is higher is one poster whose post frequency is so much higher than everyone else doing it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
I guarantee you if Pawlenty was picked, none of this would be happening. He was a common name who ran a good state and had known opinions on a national stage. McCain opened pandora's box. This isn't bad journalism, this is what you'd expect. She made no real opinions in her first speech. When everyone is going "who the hell is this person" you can't blame people for going up to find who the hell she is. So this great pick is completely overshadowing the GOP convention that was already overshadowed by a hurricane.

but it's the liberal media, this tried and true argument that you mr. genius feels in his gut but can rarely prove.

You're right, this has been a poor election coverage year...by the AP. They've been the worst. The AP's story was a one source tidbit from McCain's head of vetting, when the rest of the newspapers in their country not run by Fornier are all saying the same thing "we didn't know". If McCain did know, why the inconsistent answers? Why?

This was pretty much Obama a couple of years ago... the only different being he had a little more time to sell his story.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 05:06 AM)
This was pretty much Obama a couple of years ago... the only different being he had a little more time to sell his story.

But...he also has had more time to learn the national game. That's an important point too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
No she doesn't. She would have until McCain died. Obama is the one who would have to learn it all right away if elected, with zero grace period.

come on, the experience thing we are talking about with Palin are these national and international issues which she has given no comment on and we have no idea where she stands. She has to get all this down in a month. Whether or not you think OBama's experience isn't good enough to make decisions once in power, you know where he stands on these issues.

I got out of the habit of doing the weekly poll updates due to some medical concerns about my wife a month ago (she's fine by the way). But I thought I would point these out...

CNN Poll: Obama widening lead in battleground states

A new poll suggests that Barack Obama is widening his lead over John McCain in two battleground states but indicates the race is dead even in Ohio, the state that decided the last presidential election.

In a CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corp. survey out Wednesday afternoon, 55 percent of Iowa registered voters who were questioned said that Obama, D-Illinois, is their choice for president, with 40 percent backing McCain, R-Arizona.

It appears to be a similar story here in Minnesota, where the Republicans are holding their national convention this week.

The poll indicates that Obama has a 12-point lead over McCain, 53 percent to 41 percent. (in Minnesota)That’s up slightly from a 10-point lead Obama held in a Humphrey Institute survey taken last month.

It looks like a very different story in Ohio, which has 20 electoral votes up for grabs.

President Bush’s narrow victory in Ohio four years ago clinched his reelection. It looks like it could be just as tight this time around in Ohio. The poll suggests he has a 2-point lead over McCain, 47 percent to 45 percent, which is a virtual tie when taking into account the survey’s 3.5 percentage-point sampling error.

The CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corp. poll was taken August 31-September 2, with 828 registered votes in Iowa, 742 registered voters in Minnesota, and 685 registered voters in Ohio questioned by telephone.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Honestly, nothing good will come of it.

edit: one thing I hope he pushes, is to be cordial and push the point, that he may not agree with O'Reilley's views, but he can still enjoy him. Be friends with him. We need to stop this fake enemy crap. If you'll give CNN one thing, their commentators, repub and democrat seem to enjoy each other. It's taken the heat out of the emotions.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
Honestly, nothing good will come of it.

edit: one thing I hope he pushes, is to be cordial and push the point, that he may not agree with O'Reilley's views, but he can still enjoy him. Be friends with him. We need to stop this fake enemy crap. If you'll give CNN one thing, their commentators, repub and democrat seem to enjoy each other. It's taken the heat out of the emotions.

I think it could be very good. He'll certainly be cordial, he is a guest, after all. He could come out of this looking great. If he manages to be half as clever as Colbert was, it'll be an absolute coup.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
I got out of the habit of doing the weekly poll updates due to some medical concerns about my wife a month ago (she's fine by the way). But I thought I would point these out...

CNN Poll: Obama widening lead in battleground states

There is no way Obama loses Iowa. It f***ing loves him.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 02:46 AM)
I think it could be very good. He'll certainly be cordial, he is a guest, after all. He could come out of this looking great. If he manages to be half as clever as Colbert was, it'll be an absolute coup.

guests on O'Reilly's show haven't always left cordial lol

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
guests on O'Reilly's show haven't always left cordial lol

Nah...he'll be the way he is, but slightly better -- he knows he's talking to the future president. (Just ask Peggy Noonan.) And Obama knows what network he's on. The only thing to do is to be pleasant. Unless O'Reilly accuses Obama of personally spreading Briston Palin gossip or sexually harassing his producer, it'll be chilly-pleasant enough.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
I just don't see what there is to gain beside I guess setting the contrast in how McCain is refusing to be interviewed by Campbell Brown now

It just looks good, imo. A candidate who can be charming in the face of a host who is clearly out to get him simply appears more personable.