2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
The Palin impression by Tina Fey is just so dead on, from the appearance to the voice. Fantastic.

laughed my ass off when I watched that episode on DVR delay yesterday. Sadly, it was the funniest moment of the episode (that had the other two funny parts buried in the last two skits, including the Phelps Diet informercial.)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
laughed my ass off when I watched that episode on DVR delay yesterday. Sadly, it was the funniest moment of the episode (that had the other two funny parts buried in the last two skits, including the Phelps Diet informercial.)

THe McCain campaign said the segment was sexist. Figures.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Huh? Palin said she thought the skit was funny and pointed out she dressed up as Tiny Fey on halloween a few years ago.

McCain spokeswoman Carly Fiorina:

I think that she looked a bit like her. I think that, of course, the portrait was very dismissive of the substance of Sarah Palin, and so in that sense, they were defining Hillary Clinton as very substantive, and Sarah Palin as totally superficial. I think that continues the line of argument that is disrespectful in the extreme, and yes, I would say, sexist in the sense that just because Sarah Palin has different views than Hillary Clinton does not mean that she lacks substance. She has a lot of substance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 07:27 AM)
That sentence makes absolutely zero sense, grammatically or otherwise.

How dare you criticize her, you misogynist pig!

Some Obama supporters pull the race card, but not nearly to the level that McCain's campaign is pulling the POW/ Sexism card. I've really lost almost all respect for him.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
How dare you criticize her, you misogynist pig!

Some Obama supporters pull the race card, but not nearly to the level that McCain's campaign is pulling the POW/ Sexism card. I've really lost almost all respect for him.

It's all the brainchild of his campaign advisors. Granted, McCain approves all this stuff, in theory. But I don't see that there's any way for him to separate himself from that, although some of his recent ads have really been pretty overboard e.g. Obama wants to teach kindergardeners about sex.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
It's all the brainchild of his campaign advisors. Granted, McCain approves all this stuff, in theory. But I don't see that there's any way for him to separate himself from that, although some of his recent ads have really been pretty overboard e.g. Obama wants to teach kindergardeners about sex.

His entire campaign has really gone downhill, in terms of quality. What's really sad, to me anyway, is that his poll numbers are following the inverse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8091600640.html

The good news? There seems to be quite a bit for Obama in the Daily Tracker.

Research 2000/DailyKos tracking poll shows Obama gaining four points this week. (O-48, M-44)

Rasmussen Tracking Poll shows Obama gaining two points this week. (M-48, O-47)

Gallup's five point tracking lead has cut to two points has well, showing Obama gaining three points (M-47, O-45)

Diageo/Hotline's tracking poll shows Obama also winning 44-43, regaining the lead over the weekend.

It's not the actual numbers that give the most value in a tracking poll, but the trend lines. And in every poll, the trend is towards Obama getting his groove back.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really can't wait for the debates!

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
The good news? There seems to be quite a bit for Obama in the Daily Tracker.

Research 2000/DailyKos tracking poll shows Obama gaining four points this week. (O-48, M-44)

Rasmussen Tracking Poll shows Obama gaining two points this week. (M-48, O-47)

Gallup's five point tracking lead has cut to two points has well, showing Obama gaining three points (M-47, O-45)

Diageo/Hotline's tracking poll shows Obama also winning 44-43, regaining the lead over the weekend.

It's not the actual numbers that give the most value in a tracking poll, but the trend lines. And in every poll, the trend is towards Obama getting his groove back.

Gallup is now showing M-47, O-46.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really can't wait for the debates!

10 day, 4 hours, 41 minutes, 30 seconds.

You know, to be living in a solid blue state that's not in play, I really see an awful lot of McCain yard signs on my way to work. I can't think of any places that have Obama yard signs although I know there are a lot of Obama voters here. I guess that's because there's a lot of ex-military around.

Yeah, it's weird. The demographics of the county I live in (middle class, high % of blacks) also point to being Democratic like the rest of the state. Then again if you go to the city, it's hard to find ANYONE who isn't voting for Obama.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Gallup shows a 3 point shift in the tracker, now giving Obama a 2 point lead, 47-45.

No doubt that with what has happened on Wall Street and to Lehman Brothers and AIG, it's given Obama the boost he really needed after what Palin has done for McCain.

If he can really nail down his Economic Message in the debates, I think he'll end up winning the thing (which I hope he does BTW).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
No doubt that with what has happened on Wall Street and to Lehman Brothers and AIG, it's given Obama the boost he really needed after what Palin has done for McCain.

If he can really nail down his Economic Message in the debates, I think he'll end up winning the thing (which I hope he does BTW).

Even without the market implosion, this week was bound to be a bad polling week for McCain/Palin as their convention bounce was going to fade.