4/16 Gamethread: Sox (8-5) at Orioles (8-6); 6:05; WCIU

Sox need to keep up the stellar pitching and defense. They were errorless on the seven-game homestand while allowing just one home run. Count needs to be careful with Millar and Roberts. Millar posts a .444 career average, 2 bombs and 5 steaks, and Roberts brings a .346 average with 1 bomb and 3 steaks.

:gosox3: :gosox2:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Sox need to keep up the stellar pitching and defense. They were errorless on the seven-game homestand while allowing just one home run. Count needs to be careful with Millar and Roberts. Millar posts a .444 career average, 2 bombs and 5 steaks, and Roberts brings a .346 average with 1 bomb and 3 steaks.

They have had some stellar starting pitching... Too bad Contreras is on the mound tonight. Could be a high scoring affair. GO SOX!

Loewen has been in the majors for a bit, but we have never faced him...heres the BA scouting report from Jan. 2006

2. ADAM LOEWEN, lhp Born: April 9, 1984 B-T: L-L Ht: 6-5 Wt: 215

Drafted: Chipola (Fla.) JC, D/F 2002 (1st round) Signed by: John Gillette/Dave Jennings

Background: Loewen’s $3.2 million bonus and $4.02 million big league contract were the biggest deals ever given to an amateur by the Orioles. He was ineffective in 2004 and came down with a small tear in his labrum, which he rehabilitated without surgery. He was inconsistent in 2005 but came on strong late in the summer and led the Arizona Fall League with a 1.67 ERA.

Strengths:

Loewen has the stuff to pitch at the front of a big league rotation, with a 92-93 mph fastball that touches 94 with life and finish down in the zone. His curveball is also a plus pitch. He was dominant at times late in the season as his pitches and command came together.

Weaknesses:

Mechanical problems have caused Loewen to struggle with his control, but he made improvements with high Class A Frederick pitching coach Scott McGregor. His changeup is still a step down from his fastball and curveball, and his curve is inconsistent.

The Future:

Loewen got better by working harder and improving his concentration. His contract means he has to stick in the big leagues by 2007, which is realistic if he continues the progress he made late last season. He’ll open 2006 in Double-A.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)

Man now I'm hungry

I went to a Sox-O's game last year at Camden Yards (I think I was there for the whole series actually) and Contreras was pitching then... ugh. I wish I could see Buehrle pitch here for once... at least I get to see Floyd which would be good if he pans out.

I'm gonna be at both games though, Camden Yards is a great stadium.

Edited by lostfan

I don't know about anyone else... but I absolutely hate Contreras starts. He pretty much puts me to sleep when he's on the mound, taking a minute between pitches, and also struggling to throw strikes a lot of the time... plus, at least the Contreras from a couple years ago had good stuff, now he has just crap.

I have a feeling it's going to be a looooooooooooooong game... but GO SOX!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
I don't know about anyone else... but I absolutely hate Contreras starts. He pretty much puts me to sleep when he's on the mound, taking a minute between pitches, and also struggling to throw strikes a lot of the time... plus, at least the Contreras from a couple years ago had good stuff, now he has just crap.

I have a feeling it's going to be a looooooooooooooong game... but GO SOX!

I'll be at the game so I will be spared of the pain it causes me to wait for his next pitch on Gameday.

Oh no doubt, same here..

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
doesn't Markakis kill sox pitching?

14/38 against the Sox in his career with 1 home run. Translates to a 1.008 OPS overall. Buehrle and Danks have been battered by him, although JD has only faced him in 1 outing, MB probably has pitched 3 times against him. He's 3/7 with 1 double and 1 walk off of Jose. Never faced Floyd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
14/38 against the Sox in his career with 1 home run. Translates to a 1.008 OPS overall. Buehrle and Danks have been battered by him, although JD has only faced him in 1 outing, MB probably has pitched 3 times against him. He's 3/7 with 1 double and 1 walk off of Jose. Never faced Floyd.

thanks, I thought that was right.

c'mon Jim, don't suck.