Owens Activated off of the DL

knightni

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
He should since Carlos is raking, but Owens is already starting off hot, which isnt a good sign for anyone.

Unless we could trade him.

He'd be a nice 4th OF, but if he takes ABs away from Quentin someone will die.

Trading Owens with this many OFs wouldn't be a bad idea really. It means you put a lot of confidence in Anderson, but at 27 years old (late start in baseball notwithstanding) Owens is going to want to find somewhere to play. And although there are quite a few posters on this site that think he is a permanent failure in MLB who will never amount to anything and will never be any better than what we saw, there are teams that will take that kind of hitter.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
Trading Owens with this many OFs wouldn't be a bad idea really. It means you put a lot of confidence in Anderson, but at 27 years old (late start in baseball notwithstanding) Owens is going to want to find somewhere to play. And although there are quite a few posters on this site that think he is a permanent failure in MLB who will never amount to anything and will never be any better than what we saw, there are teams that will take that kind of hitter.

He has a chance to replace Dave Roberts somewhere as a 4th OF/pinch runner if he can hit .260.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Hopefully Owens absolutely rakes at Charlotte and we can spin him off to another team in a trade. I didn't know CQ would be this damn good. There's nowhere for Owens to play. Even if he did show substantial improvement.

Trade him for what? No hurry to do anything IMO. It's nice to have the problem of too much talent for now. Just get better and work on your game in Charlotte Jerry.....your time will come.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
He has a chance to replace Dave Roberts somewhere as a 4th OF/pinch runner if he can hit .260.

Personally I think he can do that easily. I don't think he'll ever hit .300 in the majors but he can stay around .270 with a reasonable OBP. Which would give him some value, to someone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
It's also entirely possible that good performances by Anderson and Owens this year will give KW the motivation to do a salary dump and move either Dye (freeing up RF) or Thome (Freeing up DH) this offseason.

I've really done an about face on JD this year. I wanted to go youth across the OF. But he's come out focused and on a tear. Personally I'd rather see Thome go at this point.....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
I've really done an about face on JD this year. I wanted to go youth across the OF. But he's come out focused and on a tear. Personally I'd rather see Thome go at this point.....

Offensively he's been good but he's turning into a butcher in the field. His legs are just too slow now. You could move Thome and DH Dye.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Offensively he's been good but he's turning into a butcher in the field. His legs are just too slow now. You could move Thome and DH Dye.

Exactly my point.

I still say our lineup next year could easily go Swisher, Anderson, Quentin (Owens 4th OF), Fields, Ramirez, Richar, Konerko/Dye/Thome between 1b/DH, AJ behind the plate, and a rotation of Buehrle/Floyd/Vazquez/Danks/???, with Bourgeois on the bench, and we'd have like 80% of our regular starters at their prime age or younger, signed to cheap contracts, getting better, with a few key vets, and more than enough money to spend if we decided to turn those ??? in the rotation in to someone like CC or another pitcher like that. And our defense would be as good as this year or better, our offense could easily stay the same or improve, and our pitching staff is already looking good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
Hopefully Owens absolutely rakes at Charlotte and we can spin him off to another team in a trade. I didn't know CQ would be this damn good. There's nowhere for Owens to play. Even if he did show substantial improvement.

I Did :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
It's also entirely possible that good performances by Anderson and Owens this year will give KW the motivation to do a salary dump and move either Dye (freeing up RF) or Thome (Freeing up DH) this offseason.

That may be entirely possible. Do you think he might even attempt to trade Dye before the season goes much further? Or Konerko too?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
That may be entirely possible. Do you think he might even attempt to trade Dye before the season goes much further? Or Konerko too?

If this team keeps winning and the biggest need we have is a new 2nd baseman, not a chance.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)

Dye has a no trade clause for this year, I believe.

I would love to see him explore a deal for Paulie, but I don't think they have the cajones to do so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
Dye has a no trade clause for this year, I believe.

I would love to see him explore a deal for Paulie, but I don't think they have the cajones to do so.

Or the bargaining power given his lofty .176 Avg. At this point I'd give my left testy if a Paulie for Kendrick deal would have happened....

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
Or the bargaining power given his lofty .176 Avg. At this point I'd give my left testy if a Paulie for Kendrick deal would have happened....

Well, I think Paulie's resume in the past would relieve the concerns of many teams about his current average. But it's just extremely difficult to trade a veteran first basemen these days...

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Depth is a very good thing.

Keep Owens. We wouldn't get much for him in trade anyway.

I hope he rakes in Charlotte, and if (God forbid) someone gets hurt, then at least we'll have a decent outfield reserve to call on.

I don't think anyone wants to move him for the sake of moving him.

I think most people are afraid of what Ozzie might do should Jerry start hitting well...

As for Jerry, I'm not sure he is actually capable of "raking." :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
As for Jerry, I'm not sure he is actually capable of "raking." :)

JO put up a .331 average with a .393 OBP in 2005 in AA Birmingham. It took him some time to adapt to AAA, his average never reached that point, but he got better there and perhaps most importantly showed more patience at the plate as time went on.

I could easily see Owens, after putting up a solid 2nd half in the MLB last year, put up a batting average well over .300 in the minors this year if he's healthy and it doesn't interfere with anything. And that would probably push his OBP towards .380+ based on his recent numbers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)

Thome is #3 in the AL in OPS+ over the last 2 years and we have an option on him where we only have to pay $6 or $7 million.