New York

DBAHO

Well in less than a week's time, I am going to be moving to America for a year, to be working in New York with an internship.

Basically, I've done lot of research etc., heard about all of the main sites etc. but I am just wondering if anyone here can recommend any places, whether it's sightseeing, to eat, a bar etc.

FWIW I am staying in Newport, Jersey City for the year, and working out of Long Island City (so if anyone knows anything about those places also).

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Head over there without any plans. I guarantee you will have an exciting day.

Yeah this here.

A better question that's easier to answer is what is there NOT to do in New York? Let's see, I'll make a list:

Farming

Drag racing

Camping

...and I think that's about it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
Eat pizza :)

Gross. New York pizza is basically Sbarro's.

I was just there and pretty much just walk around and take it in, especially if you dont live in a big city right now. New York to me isnt all that impressive, but I guess thats what living in chicago does to you after time. Still, its nice to walk around from Tribecca north to Soho, by little italy, greenwich, east village, lower east side, upper east side and the park. its alot of walking but you can see the distinct areas of the city and the different attitudes and population.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Thin Crust >>> Deep Dish....there I said it.

You Californians gave us California Pizza Kitchen. Your opinion doesn't count.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
absolutely, I like to taste something other than sauce.

Psh, you taste cheese too!

One can find enjoyable characteristics in New York style and Chicago style. Both can be enjoyed.

I've already wasted my vacation on a Florida trip set for August, but I really wanted to get to NY this summer. I'd love to see Shea and especially Yankee stadium before they close. I'd also find the time to ride the Coney Island Cyclone, because from all accounts it's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Thin Crust >>> Deep Dish....there I said it.

Could be true in some situations, but NYC thin crust pizza is awful. Last time I was there I went to the Original famous original #! etc etc, Rays pizza. It might as well been sbarro. Chicago has plenty of GREAT thin crust pizza like Aurelios, Dags, Rosatis, etc.

I'm planning on making a trip to Chicago also, to finally try some deep dish pizza (which I've heard so much about on here).

I'm glad I'm coming over when the weather is starting to heat up also. Can't say I'm particuarly looking forward to the snow and winter.