All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)

People are starting to realize that they don't want to back someone that really has no chance of winning unless some back room deal takes place at the convention......most of the people have spoken and they are saying OBAMA! I am convinced that hillary will drag this on as long as she can for the fact of if she didn't win, she don't want any democrat to win and wants us to be divided.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
I miss the old thread, as I could always count on updated polls. What's the latest poll numbers for NC and Ind?

Survey USA just came out with one today showing Indiana at Hillary 51, BO 43, which is down from a 16 point lead in their last poll but which is still generally the outlier of most polls showing a tighter race there.

PPP and Rasmussen have been in N.C. the past few days and found Obama 51%, Clinton 39% and Obama 49%, Clinton 41%. Oh, and ARG has NC at Obama 52%, Clinton 42%.

I would imagine that the N.C. polls can be considered something of a post-PA bump for HRC, and I think that one might fade away with time. In PA, Survey USA was a Hillary outlier until the very last poll, which found movement to Obama and again almost nailed it. Previous precedent suggests their poll will see that state close with time.

SUSA seems to be an huge outlier for IN. No other poll shows a Clinton lead, let alone a 10 point lead.

By the way fathom, there is an Indiana primary thread, which I will rename the IN/NC thread, where you can find these poll results. I'll put some of the latest ones up there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
SUSA seems to be an huge outlier for IN. No other poll shows a Clinton lead, let alone a 10 point lead.

By the way fathom, there is an Indiana primary thread, which I will rename the IN/NC thread, where you can find these poll results. I'll put some of the latest ones up there.

It will be interesting to say the least. I think Indiana depends on turnout in rural areas. There is a HUGE divide between rural Indiana and urban Indiana. I'll bet Obama carries NW IN by 20 points. Once you get into Indy and Ft Wayne, things might change. There is big support for Hillary in the uneducated white population, which is a very large portion of the state. These are also the types of people who aren't going to be the easiest to poll either. Obama will probably get beat 2:1 or even 3:1 in these areas, if I had to guess. There are some minority populations centers in IN, but it isn't much. They are mainly concentrated in the cities and are much easier to get ahold of.

I think Indiana will suprise towards Clinton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
It will be interesting to say the least. I think Indiana depends on turnout in rural areas. There is a HUGE divide between rural Indiana and urban Indiana. I'll bet Obama carries NW IN by 20 points. Once you get into Indy and Ft Wayne, things might change. There is big support for Hillary in the uneducated white population, which is a very large portion of the state. These are also the types of people who aren't going to be the easiest to poll either. Obama will probably get beat 2:1 or even 3:1 in these areas, if I had to guess. There are some minority populations centers in IN, but it isn't much. They are mainly concentrated in the cities and are much easier to get ahold of.

I think Indiana will suprise towards Clinton.

I don't think a Clinton win is a surprise in Indiana. She was carrying huge leads there until recently, she's got Bayh and the Governor in her corner, and its a state that as you say has large swaths of population tailor made for her. The surprise would be a Obama win, which I think is possible but unlikely. Obama picked up some union endorsements, and has a few house reps in those rural areas for him. Plus he should get a small bump being semi-local in the northern part of the state particularly (Chicago TV markets). But ultimately, I think he keeps it close but loses by 5 or 7 points.

Add that to a 10 point win in NC, and he pretty much wipes out Clinton's gains in PA, and its back to where it was. Which of course favors Obama. This thing is basically over, unless Clinton can win IN and NC convincingly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't think a Clinton win is a surprise in Indiana. She was carrying huge leads there until recently, she's got Bayh and the Governor in her corner, and its a state that as you say has large swaths of population tailor made for her. The surprise would be a Obama win, which I think is possible but unlikely. Obama picked up some union endorsements, and has a few house reps in those rural areas for him. Plus he should get a small bump being semi-local in the northern part of the state particularly (Chicago TV markets). But ultimately, I think he keeps it close but loses by 5 or 7 points.

Add that to a 10 point win in NC, and he pretty much wipes out Clinton's gains in PA, and its back to where it was. Which of course favors Obama. This thing is basically over, unless Clinton can win IN and NC convincingly.

The governor is NOT for Hillary. He is a republican, Mitch Daniels. Evan Bayh is appearing with her at every single stop she makes in Indiana, and is the former governor, maybe that is where the confusion is?

Anyways, I really think Hillary will blow out Obama in Indiana, winning by more than she did in PA. The demographics here are HUGE for her. Hell there is a good portion of the state that still has Klan memberships... they aren't voting for Obama. One thing to remember in NW Indiana, yes Obama is kind of the "hometown" guy, but the unions are full of the "white/undereducated" category that has been breaking big towards Clinton. I could be wrong, but I don't think he will do that well here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
The governor is NOT for Hillary. He is a republican, Mitch Daniels. Evan Bayh is appearing with her at every single stop she makes in Indiana, and is the former governor, maybe that is where the confusion is?

Anyways, I really think Hillary will blow out Obama in Indiana, winning by more than she did in PA. The demographics here are HUGE for her. Hell there is a good portion of the state that still has Klan memberships... they aren't voting for Obama. One thing to remember in NW Indiana, yes Obama is kind of the "hometown" guy, but the unions are full of the "white/undereducated" category that has been breaking big towards Clinton. I could be wrong, but I don't think he will do that well here.

I must have been thinking of some other governor. Anyway, I think those union guys are one of the two reasons Obama is even still in this thing. They would normally be Clintonites, except that some of those unions endorsed Barack. That plus the Chicago effect. I think he takes the northern indiana urban areas by 20%, Indianapolis by 10%, and the college towns like South Bend and Lafayette by 20%. Clinton takes the rest of the state by like 30%+, and Clinton ekes out a win. That's my barely educated guess at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
I must have been thinking of some other governor. Anyway, I think those union guys are one of the two reasons Obama is even still in this thing. They would normally be Clintonites, except that some of those unions endorsed Barack. That plus the Chicago effect. I think he takes the northern indiana urban areas by 20%, Indianapolis by 10%, and the college towns like South Bend and Lafayette by 20%. Clinton takes the rest of the state by like 30%+, and Clinton ekes out a win. That's my barely educated guess at this point.

My guess is that Hillary wins Indiana by about the same margin that Obama wins NC by.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)

South Bend will break about even. Notre Dame students will break for Obama, and so will a lot of IUSB kids, but there is a big contingent that leans Hillary in South Bend too. The demographics in South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart generally favor Clinton when you break away from the schools.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
So, here is the weird thing. For me, I was happy with the Philly speech - I think this is a more purely political move, and it bothers me. On the other hand, its probably what will get him more votes, so he's doing it.

We would be getting Reverend Wright 24/7 if he Obama didn't do this today. The GOP has attack ads all over the place with Obama and Wright the centerpiece of the argument. This needed to be done.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
We would be getting Reverend Wright 24/7 if he Obama didn't do this today. The GOP has attack ads all over the place with Obama and Wright the centerpiece of the argument. This needed to be done.

I disagree. I think the issue keeps coming up because Clinton, McCain, and the media keep bringing it up. And guess what? They will keep doing so regardless of this speech. It will eventually fade somewhat to the background, regardless of the speech. All the speech does, to me, is make it look like he's appeasing the masses. That may work a little bit, as I said, but ultimately I think its a waste.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
I disagree. I think the issue keeps coming up because Clinton, McCain, and the media keep bringing it up. And guess what? They will keep doing so regardless of this speech. It will eventually fade somewhat to the background, regardless of the speech. All the speech does, to me, is make it look like he's appeasing the masses. That may work a little bit, as I said, but ultimately I think its a waste.

I'll give him and his campaign the benefit of the doubt. After all, he is leading right now and he's beating the big, bad, Clinton machine a.k.a. the 'inevitable' nominee.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I'll give him and his campaign the benefit of the doubt. After all, he is leading right now and he's beating the big, bad, Clinton machine a.k.a. the 'inevitable' nominee.

Has beaten. Its over. She's a dead candidate walking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
I tend to agree but why doesn't the MSM lock onto that fact?

Because it's not over at all. No one is obliged to vote any which way at the convention, if it gets to that.

As for Rev Wright, screw him, the guy has single handedly worsened the reputation of religion, blacks, and Barack Obama with his nonsense.

After Wright's appearance yesterday before the National Press Club, where he put on a nice show and reportedly made some additional AIDS caused by the government remarks, Obama has become much more forceful in his denouncing of his former pastor. Full transcript of today's press conference and statement on the matter here. Comments?

Yesterday we saw a very different vision of America. I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened over the spectacle that we saw yesterday. I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992. I’ve known Reverend Wright for almost 20 years. The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church.

They certainly don’t portray accurately my values and beliefs. And if Reverend Wright thinks that that’s political posturing, as he put it, then he doesn’t know me very well. And based on his remarks yesterday, well, I may not know him as well as I thought either.