All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

I happened to be in D.C. for a college trip to the holocaust museum during G. W. Bush's inauguration . Our class took the time to attend the inuguration and everyone there, be it Dem or Rep, was glad we did. It really was a unique experience.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
You are right it is a big difference. The chance for an inuagural visit is WAY more important than seeing someone speak locally. If you have the means, I don't see why you would pass it up for partisian reasons. If I had the chance to go to a Hillary or Barack inuaguration, I wouldn't pass it up, that is for sure. To me it isn't "supporting" them. It is being a part of a historical event.

I'd rather spend the $1.5K to $2K on something else to be honest. I'd be rolling my eyes as he stood there and spouted off all the policies he'd like to instill that I completely disagree with. I'd go hear him speak locally since it wouldn't cost me anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
You are right it is a big difference. The chance for an inuagural visit is WAY more important than seeing someone speak locally. If you have the means, I don't see why you would pass it up for partisian reasons. If I had the chance to go to a Hillary or Barack inuaguration, I wouldn't pass it up, that is for sure. To me it isn't "supporting" them. It is being a part of a historical event.

I really don't mind John McCain and I've always kind of liked him. Listening to him talk is kind of like listening to a kindergarten teacher though so when he speaks I don't really get excited. Having said that, if it was convenient for me to go to an inauguration, I would go. But if I lived in Chicago I wouldn't go make a special trip to go to Obama's inauguration either.

Based on MSNBC's allocation of delegates from yesterday's election, minus FL and MI Clinton needs 88.5% of the remaining pledged delegates to win the pledged delegate count.

With FL and MI (no MI delegates to Obama) counting full: 63%

With FL and MI (no MI delegates to Obama) counted as half: 76%

With FL and MI (Obama gets "left over" delegates) counted as full: 75.5%

With FL and MI (Obama gets "left over" delegates) counted as half: 82%

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Based on MSNBC's allocation of delegates from yesterday's election, minus FL and MI Clinton needs 88.5% of the remaining pledged delegates to win the pledged delegate count.

With FL and MI (no MI delegates to Obama) counting full: 63%

With FL and MI (no MI delegates to Obama) counted as half: 76%

With FL and MI (Obama gets "left over" delegates) counted as full: 75.5%

With FL and MI (Obama gets "left over" delegates) counted as half: 82%

I can't believe that seating the FL and MI delegates is being considered. It's a goddamn joke, but you know Hillary will cry until it happens.

Even with FL and MI that's a tall order for Hillary considering she's not won any of the states with that kind of margin except a handful, and the only ones she'll probably do that with are WV and KY. The Western states are all Obama territory. It's virtually impossible even if FL and MI's delegates are seated.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
I can't believe that seating the FL and MI delegates is being considered. It's a goddamn joke, but you know Hillary will cry until it happens.

I agree. But I include those numbers to show just how much of an uphill road this really is. Even WITH FL and MI it's nearly impossible and that is even under the best of scenarios. The farther you move away from "as voted" representation of FL and MI, the harder it is for her to argue she can win.

we're talking like the inauguration is like a King getting crowned, it happens every four years, why wouldn't you wait to go see someone that excites you. Especially when you have to spend your vacation on it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)

From the anecdotal bits and pieces I've seen in the internet and heard people talking on syndicated radio, most of the voters in MI seem to get the fact that "it is what it is" and it's not Hillary or Obama's fault that their vote didn't count. But in FL for some reason they are all crying and blaming Obama for it and saying that he created the situation and he's trying to block a revote. lol ok. I guess they don't realize that the rest of the nation stifles laughter every time the words "Florida" and "election" are mentioned together in a sentence.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)

They will be seated in some fashion. Everyone knows it, there's going to be no reason not to in the end. The question is whether or not they seat them the way Hillary wants (Michigan goes entirely for her and Obama gets nothing there) or whether there's some more fair split. And honestly, once we get through these next couple weeks, it probably won't matter anyway.

For what it's worth, the Clinton's are trying this spin on West Virgina...

West Virginia is a historically democratic state and a win there shows how strong she is with working democratic voters and how strong she is in a democratic state.

The problem....

Since 1864, there have been 36 presidential elections. 16 times they have voted Republican, 20 times they have voted Democrat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
For what it's worth, the Clinton's are trying this spin on West Virgina...

West Virginia is a historically democratic state and a win there shows how strong she is with working democratic voters and how strong she is in a democratic state.

The problem....

Since 1864, there have been 36 presidential elections. 16 times they have voted Republican, 20 times they have voted Democrat.

Why is that "the problem"? It shows their statement is accurate.

If you really want to refute it, you show that the last 2 elections, it went Republican. But they are right that historically, its been a Dem state.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
Why is that "the problem"? It shows their statement is accurate.

If you really want to refute it, you show that the last 2 elections, it went Republican. But they are right that historically, its been a Dem state.

16-20 is not historical.

Using that argument, Illinois is historically Republican. But I dont seem IL going for McCain.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
16-20 is not historical.

Using that argument, Illinois is historically Republican. But I dont seem IL going for McCain.

Have there been polls in IL for an Obama/McCain election? I would love to see those early potential numbers. Wouldn't that be a major bullet in Obama's gun against Hill's "unelectable" platform if Obama can pull a major state that is historically republican?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Have there been polls in IL for an Obama/McCain election? I would love to see those early potential numbers. Wouldn't that be a major bullet in Obama's gun against Hill's "unelectable" platform if Obama can pull a major state that is historically republican?

IIRC, IL has been blue the past 2 elections. I know it was strongly pro-Gore in 2000. The state itself is a red state but it just so happens that 2/3 of its population is the Chicago area and that's one of the most die-hard Democratic areas in the country. So IL is not one of the "in-play" states. It's pretty much assumed that's Obama territory.

On the other hand, one of Obama's arguments is that he can win a couple of of the red western states that were heavily in his favor and haven't voted Democrat recently, like Colorado.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
On the other hand, one of Obama's arguments is that he can win a couple of of the red western states that were heavily in his favor and haven't voted Democrat recently, like Colorado.

and New Mexico and Nevada

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)

In Early March, Survey USA released polls for all 50 states with the Clinton/McCain and Obama/McCain matchups. Obama wins Illinois 60-31, Hillary wins Illinois 48-37.

I'm getting kind of sick of this coverage still giving credence to Clinton staying in the race. Seeing stuff like "Obama Clinton split Tuesday Primaries" is accurate, but continues to give the impression that she is a viable candidate. As soon as NC was called Obama, and then he won by 14 pt. in a big state, that is the story. That is a death nell. And then in a state where she was up big two weeks ago to only win by 2 pts, and 16,000 votes? I wish they'd stop feeding this narrative that doesn't exist. It reinforces her delusions.