All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

QUOTE (bmags @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm getting kind of sick of this coverage still giving credence to Clinton staying in the race. Seeing stuff like "Obama Clinton split Tuesday Primaries" is accurate, but continues to give the impression that she is a viable candidate. As soon as NC was called Obama, and then he won by 14 pt. in a big state, that is the story. That is a death nell. And then in a state where she was up big two weeks ago to only win by 2 pts, and 16,000 votes? I wish they'd stop feeding this narrative that doesn't exist. It reinforces her delusions.

Keeps idiots tuned in.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
So far, the AP is saying that Obama's superdelegate count for the day is at 4.

Going into today, depending on what site you look at, Clinton's lead in supers was between 10 and 15. I'll stick with my earlier prediction that Obama takes the lead in supers by the time of the WV primary.

Obama Begins Planning For General Election Campaign

Barack Obama's campaign on Wednesday sought to increase pressure on Hillary Rodham Clinton to wrap up the drawn-out Democratic nomination race as it mapped out a general-election strategy that will involve early campaigning in battleground states that have already held primaries.

Likely Republican presidential nominee John McCain has "run free for some time now" because of Democratic preoccupation with the ongoing primary fight, said Obama strategist David Axelrod. "I don't think we're going to spend time solely in primary states," he said. "We have multiple tasks here."

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Keeps idiots tuned in.

At this point...there's some elements of strategy that might actually be helpful though. Obama is probably going to lose West Virginia and Kentucky quite badly, and might well lose them even if Hillary drops out of the race. Over in the Dems thread people are saying that it's worth noting that McCain is only pulling in 75% or so of the Republican vote despite being the nominee, how do you rationalize the nominee losing states when a race is no longer even competitive?

And furthermore...although we're limping across the finish line now...I still contend it's not going to be a bad thing to get the organizations even in these last few states up and primed for a run with the candidates. In terms of a 50 state strategy for building the party long term, and in terms of OBama's 50 state voter registration initiative, running the ads, running up the turnout machines, putting in the early money in those last set of states over the next 2 weeks is probably only going to help in November. Oregon especially was recently considered quite swingy, running through there and having the Obama ads hit the air early can't be a bad thing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
Going into today, depending on what site you look at, Clinton's lead in supers was between 10 and 15. I'll stick with my earlier prediction that Obama takes the lead in supers by the time of the WV primary.

thanks for the Clinton numbers, I had no idea that the 4 super delegate number was so huge. I'm now wondering if there might to be strong momentum to put more pressure on Hillarly, people might not want to stand alone against her, but once more and more come out asking her to step down, it might be a flood.

McGovern, a Clinton backer, coming out today isn't exactly what I'm looking for since, while he still has cache in the dem party, he doesn't exactly have a political future to worry about. If Dean or Gore or someone of that ilk make a strong statement about her pulling out, that would be a serious hit.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
thanks for the Clinton numbers, I had no idea that the 4 super delegate number was so huge. I'm now wondering if there might to be strong momentum to put more pressure on Hillarly, people might not want to stand alone against her, but once more and more come out asking her to step down, it might be a flood.

McGovern, a Clinton backer, coming out today isn't exactly what I'm looking for since, while he still has cache in the dem party, he doesn't exactly have a political future to worry about. If Dean or Gore or someone of that ilk make a strong statement about her pulling out, that would be a serious hit.

They won't do that until at the earliest Obama has a firm lead in pledged delegates that can not be overtaken. That happens on the 20th I believe. The top people have held out this long out of fairness to everyone else, they're not going to end it and have people question why they did so when there were still votes to be counted. I think the good news is...its' sounding like there's zero chance of her being able to drag this to the convention, which was the real worry. Now Obama gets at least 2 months or so where it's him versus McCain while he has a gigantic funding advantage.

I don't think Dean, Gore or Pelosi should publicly urge her to end. Her voters are heated and sad right now and I think it's best that she appears to do it on her own.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
At this point...there's some elements of strategy that might actually be helpful though. Obama is probably going to lose West Virginia and Kentucky quite badly, and might well lose them even if Hillary drops out of the race. Over in the Dems thread people are saying that it's worth noting that McCain is only pulling in 75% or so of the Republican vote despite being the nominee, how do you rationalize the nominee losing states when a race is no longer even competitive?

And furthermore...although we're limping across the finish line now...I still contend it's not going to be a bad thing to get the organizations even in these last few states up and primed for a run with the candidates. In terms of a 50 state strategy for building the party long term, and in terms of OBama's 50 state voter registration initiative, running the ads, running up the turnout machines, putting in the early money in those last set of states over the next 2 weeks is probably only going to help in November. Oregon especially was recently considered quite swingy, running through there and having the Obama ads hit the air early can't be a bad thing.

Gp.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I don't think Dean, Gore or Pelosi should publicly urge her to end. Her voters are heated and sad right now and I think it's best that she appears to do it on her own.

Howard Dean should have forced her to shut it down weeks ago. For all of the slack that Lieberman gets for going against the Dems, Hillary's actions have the potential to put a much bigger hole in their plans than anything Lieberman could ever do alone.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Anyone else think Clinton's margin of victory take a huge hit in West Virginia and Kentucky now that the MSM is basically calling her toast?

A hit, yes. That combined with Obama doing some campaigning in those states will narrow the gap. But the gap was SO huge to begin with in both states (like 30 points or so in each) that Clinton will still win them handily, I'd think. But they have far fewer delegates than IN or NC had - combined they are less than IN alone.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Anyone else think Clinton's margin of victory take a huge hit in West Virginia and Kentucky now that the MSM is basically calling her toast?

No. The demographics - even if Hilldog oficially quit today, she'd still win. I'm not kidding.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
No. The demographics - even if Hilldog oficially quit today, she'd still win. I'm not kidding.

i will say this much. I would have bet money that she would have killed Obama in Indiana even two days ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
i will say this much. I would have bet money that she would have killed Obama in Indiana even two days ago.

I can't see WV even being close to the level of competitiveness there was in Indiana though. It's going to be a blowout and so will KY. A completely irrelevant blowout but still.

Obama's spending some time in Washington to rassle up superdelegates. But then he should go to Kentucky and West Virginia, and try to win this thing once and for all. It's not like he doesn't have the kind of money to do it.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Obama's spending some time in Washington to rassle up superdelegates. But then he should go to Kentucky and West Virginia, and try to win this thing once and for all. It's not like he doesn't have the kind of money to do it.

I hope he spends time there, but not much money. All he's really got to do there is gain a little ground to look good, and yesterday should accomplish some of that on its own. If he matches Clinton in spending, which won't be difficult, he'll be fine. He's got to start sounding and spending like the Dem nominee, meaning the money will be better spent in Ohio, Florida, Washington, etc.

yeah, I think the reason this 32 delegate milestone is in place is to take the eyes off of WV and KY as states to see who wins, but if Obama can reach that delegate count to claim the majority of the delegates.