MLB 2008 Mock Draft

Wanne

Didn't see this posted anywhere and figured it was good as time as any to start with the draft chatter.

Looks like they know Kenny well...first two picks pitchers (which in all likelihood...the first 5 will be).

Complete 4 rounds:

http://www.mlbdraftsite.com/

1st Round

1 Tampa Bay- Pedro Alvarez 3B Vanderbilt 6'2" 215 L,R

2 Pittsburgh- Justin Smoak 1B University of South Carolina 6'4" 215 Both,L

3 Kansas City- Brian Matusz LHP University of San Diego 6'4" 193 L,L

4 Baltimore- Isaac Galloway OF Los Osos HS, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. 6'3" 190 R,R

5 San Francisco-Aaron Hicks OF Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif. 6'2" 164 Both,R

6 Florida- Brett Wallace 1B Arizona State 6'1" 245 L,R

7 Cincinnati- Eric Hosmer 1B American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla. 6'4" 210 L,L

8 Chicago WS- Brett DeVall LHP Rutherford HS, Panama City, Fla. 6'4" 205 R,L

9 Washington- Yonder Alonso 1B University of Miami (Fla.) 6'2" 215 Both,L

10 Houston- Jacob Thompson RHP University of Virginia 6'6" 190 R,R

11 Texas- Cody Satterwhite RHP University of Mississippi 6'4" 205 R,R

12 Oakland- Jemile Weeks 2B University of Miami (Fla.) 5'9" 155 R,R

13 St. Louis- Ethan Martin 3B Stephens County HS, Toccoa, Ga. 6'3" 200 R,R

14 Minnesota- Brandon Crawford SS UCLA 6'2" 195 L,R

15 LA Dodgers- James Darnell RF/3B University of South Carolina 6'2" 195 R,R

16 Milwaukee- Kyle Long LHP/1B Belfield HS, St. Anne's, Va. 6'7" 280 L,L

17 Toronto- Harold Martinez SS/3B Braddock HS, Miami, Fla. 6'3" 185 R,R

18 Atlanta- Daniel Webb RHP Heath HS, W. Paducah, Ky. 6'3" 205 R,R

19 Chicago Cubs- Tim Melville RHP Wentzville Holt HS (MO) 6'5" 205 R,R

20 Seattle- Gerrit Cole RHP Santa Ana, CA 6'3" 190 R,R

21 Detroit- Tyson Ross RHP University of California 6'5" 215 R,R

22 NY Mets- Jordan Danks OF University of Texas 6'5" 209 L,R

23 San Diego- Luke Burnett RHP Louisiana Tech 6'8" 260 R,R

24 Philadelphia- Aaron Crow RHP Missouri 6'2" 195 L,R

25 Colorado- Anthony Ferrera LHP Riverview HS, Fl. 6'2" 190 R,L

26 Arizona- Hunter Cevenka RHP Ross Sterling HS, Tx. 6'2" 195 L,L

27 LA Angles- Allan Dykstra 1B Wake Forest 6'5" 230 L,R

28 NY Yankees- Quinton Miller RHP Shawnee HS, NJ 6'2" 195 R,R

29 Cleveland- Shooter Hunt RHP Tulane 6'3" 200 R,R

30 Boston- Kyle Skipworth C Riverside, CA 6'3" 190 L,R

Whatever we pick will be cheap. So don't think Alvarez or Smoak.

"If the financial demands are such that they are higher than we value a player, then it could be Scott Boras or Scott Baio. If they tell us a guy wants $15 million, and we only thinks he's worth $3 million, then we probably won't draft him

"History tells us which agents have unfair demands, in our opinion," Laumann said. "But again, it's not just about Boras. We have a fiscal responsibility."

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)

That's stupid but falls inline with White Sox thinking. I wonder why Aaron Crow is so low. IMHO, he's the second best pitcher behind Matusz. I also don't see us taking a high school pitcher. I'd be shocked honestly.

Wow, I hate this pick anymore. Seems like this organization is stuck trying to find another Buehrle.

DeVall is the textbook definition of a crafty lefty. While he can still hump up his fastball to the low-90s, touching the mid-90s on a few occasions when he’s not worrying about saving his arm strength for an entire game, he works predominantly in the 88-91 range. His fastball shows good life, and he spots it extremely well. He uses his fastball perfectly to set up his breaking ball and changeup, with both of those pitches showing good velocity and bite. His big frame leads many to believe that he should have no problems maintaining his velocity deep into ballgames and has been fairly durable and reliable throughout hhis young career. He has plenty of big-game situations under his belt playing for the East Cobb program, and is a candidate to soar through the minor leagues given his ability to carve up hitters, even on days when he doesn’t have his best stuff.
Edited by nitetrain8601

To me you cant pass up the following. From Sickles blog.

I would like to see them pick up Posey or Beckham. AJ is a bit up in age and getting a future replacement might not be a bad idea. Thank god we won a few more games last year, we could of been looking at Tim Beckham instead of Gordon.

Buster Posey, C, Florida State: HItting .464/.562/.827, OPS is about +63 percent better than context. Posey's stock is rising due to his tremendous hitting this year as well as the fact that he's proven to be a reasonable-enough defender behind the plate. Ranking him ahead of Smoak and Alonso may be a bit controversial but he's done everything asked of him and finding a catcher who can hit and field is harder than finding a first baseman who can hit.

Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia: Hitting .412/.524/.874, OPS is about +79 percent better than context. Has also stolen 16 bases in 17 attempts, producing power, plate discipline, etc., and he can play shortstop. Some people compare him to Khalil Greene, others say he'll hit better than that. Again, this might be controversial ranking him ahead of Smoak and maybe I'll change my mind.

Baseball America rankings

A guy who I would like instead of Aaron Crow thatmay be realistic:

Name: Tanner Scheppers

Height/Weight: 6-4 / 200

Date of Birth: 1/17/87

School: Fresno State

Brewerfan.net Rank: 6

Scheppers is a tall and projectable right-handed pitcher with long, wiry strong limbs that continues to add strength to his body. He has picture perfect proportions and is built like a prototypical staff ace with the stuff to match. He can pump his fastball in the mid-90s, touching 97 and sitting in the 93-95 range comfortably. His best pitch may be an electric slider that has been clocked in the 85-87 range, which when he's throwing as well as he can he's virtually unhittable. He also throws a curveball and a changeup, but isn't as comfortable with either pitch, but for the most part doesn't need them to be as sharp when his fastball and slider are working for him. He has soared up draft charts after impressing scouts last fall with his velocity, carryinig that success over to the spring, and is a legitimate candidate to go among the top 5-10 overall picks.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)

I would like to see them pick up Posey or Beckham. AJ is a bit up in age and getting a future replacement might not be a bad idea. Thank god we won a few more games last year, we could of been looking at Tim Beckham instead of Gordon.

Buster Posey, C, Florida State: HItting .464/.562/.827, OPS is about +63 percent better than context. Posey's stock is rising due to his tremendous hitting this year as well as the fact that he's proven to be a reasonable-enough defender behind the plate. Ranking him ahead of Smoak and Alonso may be a bit controversial but he's done everything asked of him and finding a catcher who can hit and field is harder than finding a first baseman who can hit.

Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia: Hitting .412/.524/.874, OPS is about +79 percent better than context. Has also stolen 16 bases in 17 attempts, producing power, plate discipline, etc., and he can play shortstop. Some people compare him to Khalil Greene, others say he'll hit better than that. Again, this might be controversial ranking him ahead of Smoak and maybe I'll change my mind.

ESPN had an article the other day predicting Beckham to go 1 or 2

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)

I was thinkin' catcher too. They have Paramore going early 2nd...but I think he'll be there for the Sox pick in the 2nd. And he's done it for more than one year too. .376 last year. He's around .325 this year but he was around a .400 clip earlier in the year. If he's there in the 2nd I'd love to have him. Plus...on top of that he's was 1st-Team All Academic in the Pac10. So he's got some smarts back there.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 13, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I was thinkin' catcher too. They have Paramore going early 2nd...but I think he'll be there for the Sox pick in the 2nd. And he's done it for more than one year too. .376 last year. He's around .325 this year but he was around a .400 clip earlier in the year. If he's there in the 2nd I'd love to have him. Plus...on top of that he's was 1st-Team All Academic in the Pac10. So he's got some smarts back there.

The Sox don't have a 2nd round pick, it went to the Brewers as compensation for the Linebrink signing.

Plus there's 11 compensatory picks this year so the #1 pick in the second round will be #42 overall. Meaning the Sox second pick (#8 in the 3rd round) will be #79 overall. So there will be a 71 pick difference between the Sox's first and second draft choices.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
The Sox don't have a 2nd round pick, it went to the Brewers as compensation for the Linebrink signing.

Plus there's 11 compensatory picks this year so the #1 pick in the second round will be #42 overall. Meaning the Sox second pick (#8 in the 3rd round) will be #79 overall. So there will be a 71 pick difference between the Sox's first and second draft choices.

DOH!...well that makes their 1st pick all the more important. No pressure KW! :headbang

I know Kenny will take a pitcher...but picking at 8...I sure wouldn't mind snagging Yonder Alonso.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
I don't follow the draft too closely yet, but that list looks terrible. Crow at 24?

It doesn't look like the most reputable of sites, me thinks the guy who did that has never heard of compensatory picks (for instance; the Brewers actually have 2 picks in the top 8 of the 2nd round thanks to the Cordero and Linebrink signings), not that comp picks are all that important or anything.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Nite our minors are completely devoid of any position prospects. Our number 1 pick must be a positional prospect.

I agree, but I don't see KW going positional first because it makes too much sense. If we did go for position, Tim Beckham is a guy who comes to immediate mind. I don't like Gordon much because he seems like the typical Sox hitter. Mash or nothing. His swing gets long, but when he connects, he could get power. His best case scenario is Adam Dunn IMHO at SS. Thing is he seems to be getting bigger and he might have to move to 3B. Now if we didn't have any 3-4 hitters, I'd say he'd be a nice pick. Posey would be an excellent pick. He's AJ Pierzynski (good years) with an arm.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I don't follow the draft too closely yet, but that list looks terrible. Crow at 24?

That's because it is terrible, Skipworth at 30, the Beckhams, Posey in the second, it's a terrible list.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
I agree, but I don't see KW going positional first because it makes too much sense. If we did go for position, Tim Beckham is a guy who comes to immediate mind. I don't like Gordon much because he seems like the typical Sox hitter. Mash or nothing. His swing gets long, but when he connects, he could get power. His best case scenario is Adam Dunn IMHO at SS. Thing is he seems to be getting bigger and he might have to move to 3B. Now if we didn't have any 3-4 hitters, I'd say he'd be a nice pick. Posey would be an excellent pick. He's AJ Pierzynski (good years) with an arm.

I disagree with that, I think G. Beckham will stay at short and projects to hit for power and average in the Majors, I don't think he's he's an all or nothing type hitter. I think he'd be the perfect pick for us, an impact bat at a premium position and while he might not project to be a gold glover he should be an adequate defensive SS.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
DOH!...well that makes their 1st pick all the more important. No pressure KW! :headbang

I know Kenny will take a pitcher...but picking at 8...I sure wouldn't mind snagging Yonder Alonso.

I can hear Hawk now and his new homer call

That ball hit way on YONDER!!!!

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
ESPN had an article the other day predicting Beckham to go 1 or 2

i believe you have the wrong beckham from the state of georgia....espn said hed Tim Beckham would go 1 or 2...gordon (no relation, different skin color) could very well be there at 8

"There's no question it does," said Laumann during a phone interview on Sunday, returning from an afternoon scouting trip to Nashville. "It's not just because the name is Scott Boras.

interesting that he says that after presumably watching Alvarez over the weekend...though vandy was playing georgia, so he may have been there watching Gordon Beckham or even Josh Fields (could the white sox have their third josh fields in like 5 years).....if we take fields id be pissed, but the top college closer in the country went #8 overall last year, could happen this year too....of course there was lots of good talent on display that could be available in later rounds as well....

that mock draft is awful btw....im guessing that was from earlier in this year...gordon beckham is a top ten pick....SS who hit 22 HR in the SEC and hit over .400 dont fall to the bottom of round 2...and no way in hell crow isnt a top 8 pick as well...at least i hope not, as long as we are picking 8

Besides it doesnt even take into consideration the compensation or sandwich picks...we dont even have a 2nd rounder this year

Buster Posey just played all nine positions the other day against Savanna State. He pitched to two batters in the 7th inning and struck them both out. He also hit a grand slam in the game. He leads the ACC in HRs (16), RBI (66), and BA (.469).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he'll be around for the 8th pick.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)

which is exactly why i will be pissed if we dont go best player available regardless of cost...we dont have to pay a guy in the second round, so why not use that money to go over slot with our 1st pick....that or take a guy in the 3rd who is only there for signability reasons and throw a bunch of money at him...like what the cubs did with the samardijza

I would love to get Posey, but I don't know if he'll fall to us.

He's a contact hitter(although he does have 16 homers this year) with the ability to work the whole field, has a great eye, and he also has an absolute cannon and loves picking people off first and second.

It's been fun watching Buster the last two years.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Nite our minors are completely devoid of any position prospects. Our number 1 pick must be a positional prospect.

KW has said that good pitching prospects can always be traded for hitting (Swisher, Cabrera). So if it's close between a good pitcher and a good hitter when drafting, he will take the pitcher. I don't know how the Sox have players rated but at #8 I'll bet there is a pitcher he wants.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
i believe you have the wrong beckham from the state of georgia....espn said hed Tim Beckham would go 1 or 2...gordon (no relation, different skin color) could very well be there at 8

interesting that he says that after presumably watching Alvarez over the weekend...though vandy was playing georgia, so he may have been there watching Gordon Beckham or even Josh Fields (could the white sox have their third josh fields in like 5 years).....if we take fields id be pissed, but the top college closer in the country went #8 overall last year, could happen this year too....of course there was lots of good talent on display that could be available in later rounds as well....

that mock draft is awful btw....im guessing that was from earlier in this year...gordon beckham is a top ten pick....SS who hit 22 HR in the SEC and hit over .400 dont fall to the bottom of round 2...and no way in hell crow isnt a top 8 pick as well...at least i hope not, as long as we are picking 8

Besides it doesnt even take into consideration the compensation or sandwich picks...we dont even have a 2nd rounder this year

A college closer is not something you waste the 8th overall pick on. Royce Ring was the last time we guessed on a first round reliever.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I would love to get Posey, but I don't know if he'll fall to us.

He's a contact hitter(although he does have 16 homers this year) with the ability to work the whole field, has a great eye, and he also has an absolute cannon and loves picking people off first and second.

It's been fun watching Buster the last two years.

We need more of that. And its a need position. If he is there you move on him. He is a big enough guy for the power to grow into. And the Cell can pump his power numbers a bit more.