Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

Will be interesting to see who turns out better between Beasley and Griffin. Similar athleticism, size, and age, but different games right now.

Griffin can't shoot the ball to save his life right now, but knows he's a post player and has Amare Stoudemire type athleticism and tenacity.

Beasley can't make up his mind about whether he's a tweener or not. He can shoot the ball well from anywhere, but can't guard most SF's in the league and doesn't have the mindset to stick in the post.

Right now it seems Beasley's game mimic's Derrick Coleman's and Blake Griffin is following Amare's path.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Will be interesting to see who turns out better between Beasley and Griffin. Similar athleticism, size, and age, but different games right now.

Griffin can't shoot the ball to save his life right now, but knows he's a post player and has Amare Stoudemire type athleticism and tenacity.

Beasley can't make up his mind about whether he's a tweener or not. He can shoot the ball well from anywhere, but can't guard most SF's in the league and doesn't have the mindset to stick in the post.

Right now it seems Beasley's game mimic's Derrick Coleman's and Blake Griffin is following Amare's path.

Beasley has a much, much, much better support system. At least for now.

Damn. The Nuggets had that game right in their hands and it slipped away. I hope JR Smith isn't seriously hurt.

As far as Beasley vs Griffin, I think the winner will be which ever one bothers to improve defensively. Both will score at will in the NBA, but unless they improve on the other end, they'll both be "good not great" players. I would think Griffin could pick it up quicker as he's a true 4, not a tweener like Beasley, who will be at the mercy of matchups more often.

Edited by Ron

Nuggets gave away Game 1.Stupid foul and stupid inbound pass,the Lakers were ripe to get home court stolen,they look weak and I'm not buying that they'll win it all,If they do they'll be one of the weakest champions that I can remember...these Lakers would've gotten killed by Showtime Lakers,the Bad Boy Pistons,90's Bulls,Larry's Celtics or Duncan's Spurs.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
I said he was a less mobile Beasley. I never said that he wasn't a good player.

They dont' even compare. Griffin is a very strong athletic player down low with a really good arsenal of low post moves. Beasley was much more of a wing player. Now Griffin isn't that tall and people make a big deal about that, but he's a very good athlete, has a strong build, good quickness, and will be an elite PF in this league.

Oh and if the Bulls are interested, one of Camby/Randolph/Kaman is now available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
I see you're giving me the hard sell here. Somehow I'm just less than convinced. Where's the Candyman thread?

The Clippers have Al Thornton whose a nice piece and Eric Gordon. The key for them is dumping Baron, although he'll probably get convinced to stick around and they'll be decent with him, but the Clippers got a nice looking front-court and should be able to move one of there guys for solid value. Find a true point and another guard and they have a nice looking front five.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Beasley has a much, much, much better support system. At least for now.

Girffin has a much much much better work ethic. OH and I don't buy those knocking Beasley, the guy will be an all star in this league.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
Blake G. to LAC... does that mean Kirk to LAC and Camby or Kaman to CHI?

ooo i sure hope so.

I'd try to get rid of Deng. If the Bulls can find a way to get rid of Deng/Hinrich for an expiring contract or something, they would potentially have the ability to sign two guys to max deals without losing Tyrus/Noah. Wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Oh and they would also be able to still keep Salmons as long as they'd be willing to go into luxury tax.

Camby's a nice player if he stays healthy. Good defensively, but his offensive game isn't the same as it was before obviously. I'd rather take Kaman or even take the troubles of Randolph. Randolph's the best of the 3, but with his history, I don't think it would fit well with the Bulls.

You know what, I'm starting to love a Hinrich for Camby swap. It gets the Bulls one more 2010 expiring contract and helps them get better at the same time. The Bulls than target a backup PG with one of there two draft picks or maybe sign one in FA. Than all they got to do is try and get Deng back and as soon as he is, package him up in a deal for salary saving space and the Bulls will be the biggest players in 2010 and would still be a playoff team next year, which means they would be able to offer all of the available FA's the most (Big city, Good team, one star (Drose), and most imporantly the Bulls could still have Tyrus/Noah/Salmons/Camby (as long as they are willing to pay luxury tax). Not too bad if you ask me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
You know what, I'm starting to love a Hinrich for Camby swap. It gets the Bulls one more 2010 expiring contract and helps them get better at the same time. The Bulls than target a backup PG with one of there two draft picks or maybe sign one in FA. Than all they got to do is try and get Deng back and as soon as he is, package him up in a deal for salary saving space and the Bulls will be the biggest players in 2010 and would still be a playoff team next year, which means they would be able to offer all of the available FA's the most (Big city, Good team, one star (Drose), and most imporantly the Bulls could still have Tyrus/Noah/Salmons/Camby (as long as they are willing to pay luxury tax). Not too bad if you ask me.

The Clip joint wouldn't do Camby for Kirk. They are just as interested in 2010 as anyone else. The guy(s) who will be available are Kaman and Randolph.

If I'm the Grizzlies I'm immediately on the phone offering the Knicks 1-2 for 1-8, 2-8, and David Lee. They'd pay that, because D'Antoni wants his point guard and they've been looking for an excuse to move Lee.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
The Clip joint wouldn't do Camby for Kirk. They are just as interested in 2010 as anyone else. The guy(s) who will be available are Kaman and Randolph.

Their moves strongly suggest otherwise. They signed Baron to a big deal and then traded Mobley and Thomas for Randolph. Both of those guys have sizeable deals that expire in 2010 while Randolph is on the books for $17.3 mil that season. If they really wanted cap space in 2010 they would have stood pat instead of making that amazingly retarded trade.

Basically the Clippers are completely incompetent and you can't rule anything out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
The Clippers have Al Thornton whose a nice piece and Eric Gordon. The key for them is dumping Baron, although he'll probably get convinced to stick around and they'll be decent with him, but the Clippers got a nice looking front-court and should be able to move one of there guys for solid value. Find a true point and another guard and they have a nice looking front five.

I would actually say their biggest area of need is SF, Thornton is really not that good. The only reason he scores is their team is awful, he only averaged 16.8 points on 14.8 shots. That's roughly what Luol Deng has done the last two years. :unsure: He's actually older than Luol as well, IIRC he went to junior college before FSU. Assuming Davis stays he's going to be a lot less useful with the emergence of Gordon and Griffin.

They're relatively set everywhere else when you look at it. Davis is injury prone but when he's on there aren't THAT many point guards that are better than him. If they push the tempo more he can still be a major asset, the problems come when he has to produce in the half-court regularly. Eric Gordon quietly had a very good rookie season and looks like he will be an explosive and efficient scorer in the years to come, and with Griffin and whomever comes back they're better than most up front. Granted none of those options are mind-blowingly good, they lack depth and many of their key parts are injury prone, but for a bad team they have a few useful pieces.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
All the talk out here is that Randolph emerged as one of the guys they want to build around.

That figures. He has talent as a scorer, but he's an atrocious defender, a major ballhog and is horribly overpaid. Only the Clippers would think building around him is a good idea, especially since they are about to draft a superior all-around player at his position.