Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
How about playing 72 holes of golf vs playing a few games as a DH? Golf is a physical skill sport based on muscle memory, consistency, aim, endurance, and huge freaking balls. Shooting a basketball in a hoop is much easier for more people than playing a round of par at a golf course, regardless of how much you sweat.

Ok, I admit, this made me think. I actually like the comparison between a DH and a golfer. I'm surprised more defenders of golf do not bring this up. Touché.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Ok, I admit, this made me think. I actually like the comparison between a DH and a golfer. I'm surprised more defenders of golf do not bring this up. Touché.

All I know is that I play golf quite frequently and its literally the hardest sport I have ever tried. I've waterskiied competitively, played numerous competitive sports growing up and through adulthood, and I have never ever been as challenged than at golf. I have also been dead tired after a round of play, played several rounds in a row where mentally I thought I was going to die, and have had some of my best moments in sport on a golf course. Par is the ultimate competition IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
All I know is that I play golf quite frequently and its literally the hardest sport I have ever tried. I've waterskiied competitively, played numerous competitive sports growing up and through adulthood, and I have never ever been as challenged than at golf. I have also been dead tired after a round of play, played several rounds in a row where mentally I thought I was going to die, and have had some of my best moments in sport on a golf course. Par is the ultimate competition IMO.

I agree with these statements.

Except get rid of the waterskiing, I didn't do that. I played hockey though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)

Very good points. I particularly like the last one. Golf is absolutely a sport and a very difficult one at that. It's so hard to be consistent where one little thing can completely mess up a shot. I wish I had seen this earlier b/c I would have backed you up, but you said it pretty well. Golf is more difficult to play than any of the major sports.

im not gonna debate whether golf is a sport or not, but in terms of popularity/most recognizable I'd say its Tiger, and its not even close. If you showed my mom a headshot of Tiger (no cap on, not anything to give it away) she'd be able to tell you who it is in 2 seconds....Lebron in the same situation I doubt she would even get...My gut tells me that this is the same for most people who do not watch sports. I also think if you asked nonsports fans (and i mean really non sports fans, like my mom...who probably couldn't name a single player on any chicago sports team except for Cutler and Urlacher maybe) who Tiger Woods is...almost all would say he's the worlds best golfer. On the other hand, I think they would take a minute to think who Lebron is. Just my opinion though.

Certainly alot of it has to do with 1.) the social implications of a multi-ethnic athlete in a predominantly white sport and 2.) the fact that Tiger has been around for 11 years and has reached the pinnacle of his sport, where as Lebron for 6 and has yet to reach the pinnacle

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Very good points. I particularly like the last one. Golf is absolutely a sport and a very difficult one at that. It's so hard to be consistent where one little thing can completely mess up a shot. I wish I had seen this earlier b/c I would have backed you up, but you said it pretty well. Golf is more difficult to play than any of the major sports.

I wonder how many golfers are on this site? it might be cool to have a Soxtalk Open at a local course one of these days.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
It's just as hard to play baseball, football, basketball at a pro level than it is for golf. I can't see how you can rate one over the other.

Yeah, maybe at the pro level it is just as hard. But at a recreational level, it's much harder. I can put up 15 points in an intramural basketball game or score a couple TD's in a football game a lot easier than I can shoot a good score in a round of golf with some buddies. I think most people would be that way.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I wonder how many golfers are on this site? it might be cool to have a Soxtalk Open at a local course one of these days.

My 1st thought was that it wouldn't be difficult to get people interested, and then I realized how few people play in the annual Softball game (which I think would be a lot easier to play/organize than golf) and it probably would be difficult to put together. Though, it would definitely be fun. If I were in the area, I know I'd do it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Yeah, maybe at the pro level it is just as hard. But at a recreational level, it's much harder. I can put up 15 points in an intramural basketball game or score a couple TD's in a football game a lot easier than I can shoot a good score in a round of golf with some buddies. I think most people would be that way.

I've literally spent 10 years or so just to get my handicap below 20.

I seriously doubt Tiger Woods is the world's most famous athlete,I would think it would be more like a soccer player...soccer is popular everywhere but here.Golf isn't a huge sport all over the world.When Ronaldinho or Ronaldo were at their pinacle,even many Americans knew who they were and without question everywhere else they knew who they were.

I doubt working class folks in Argentina,Senegal,Romania or the Phillipines know Woods,but ask them about famous soccer players.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
I seriously doubt Tiger Woods is the world's most famous athlete,I would think it would be more like a soccer player...soccer is popular everywhere but here.Golf isn't a huge sport all over the world.When Ronaldinho or Ronaldo were at their pinacle,even many Americans knew who they were and without question everywhere else they knew who they were.

I doubt working class folks in Argentina,Senegal,Romania or the Phillipines know Woods,but ask them about famous soccer players.

In the 90's...they knew Jordan.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
10-year old Arab kids in the Middle East know who Jordan is.

I don't know what that means regarding how famous Woods is...but it does at least show to me that it's not "Always" a soccer player who is the world's most famous athlete.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
In the 90's...they knew Jordan.

Of course they knew MJ,basketball is probably after soccer the second most popular sport,golf ain't even in the radar,that's my point,Tiger is a huge deal in America and some parts of Europe but I bet those 10 year old kids don't know who the hell Woods is.They probably know Kobe though...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
I don't know what that means regarding how famous Woods is...but it does at least show to me that it's not "Always" a soccer player who is the world's most famous athlete.

I agree with you on that,it's not always a soccer player the most famous but it certainly ain't a golf player...I can't imagine Brazilian kids lining up to hit a golf ball like Tiger :lolhitting

No disrespect but it's an old white guy's sport.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Austin Daye embarassing.

Truth. Couldn't bench 185 lbs at all? 28" vert? Slowest 3/4 court sprint? Go back to school kid. I think he does have some skill, but his stock can't be too high after that showing.

Maryland's Greivis Vazquez hurt his stock as well. Just 1 185 bench press, 2nd slowest sprint.

Hansbrough definitely boosted his stock. I think he'll be a solid pro.

LeBron James had a benign growth removed from his right salivary gland. Hmm....

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
I agree with you on that,it's not always a soccer player the most famous but it certainly ain't a golf player...I can't imagine Brazilian kids lining up to hit a golf ball like Tiger :lolhitting

No disrespect but it's an old white guy's sport.

Thats pretty odd considering some of the best players are names like Sergio Garcia, Tiger Woods, and Vijay Singh

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:03 AM)
Thats pretty odd considering some of the best players are names like Sergio Garcia, Tiger Woods, and Vijay Singh

Can you really tell me with a straight face that golf is very popular in countries of color?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Can you really tell me with a straight face that golf is very popular in countries of color?

I couldnt even begin to answer that question. I see saying "Golf is an old white mans sport" similar to saying "soccer is a young latino sport", which, considering its popularity in Europe is pretty wrong. Golf is everywhere, its an WEALTHY mans sport IMO, someone who has the means to play the game can dominate. That doesnt mean people without as much money cannot compete, but the more money you have the better equipment you can use and the better off you are.

I dont know, I think it is a incorrect generalization, and I think Tiger Woods has a lot more worldwide appeal than some here are giving him credit for because of the sport he plays. Tiger is the face of Nike and Gatorade, just like Mike was, people know who he is.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
Of course they knew MJ,basketball is probably after soccer the second most popular sport,golf ain't even in the radar,that's my point,Tiger is a huge deal in America and some parts of Europe but I bet those 10 year old kids don't know who the hell Woods is.They probably know Kobe though...

They probably don't know Woods (btw these kids I'm talking about, they're probably in high school now, if they're still in school). And they probably do know Kobe cuz they know all about hip-hop music, lol.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:13 AM)
Oh and when it comes to class, Jordan is not the person to bring up. He was more classless than Lebron. He just didn't lose.

By the way, I think everyone recognizes this statement as blatantly inaccurate, but you know, Jordan didn't come in and immediately start winning championships.

LeBron doesn’t want to win more than Michael Jordan did, but Jordan could stop and shake a winner’s hand. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird could, too. Julius Erving did. Kobe Bryant(notes). Isiah Thomas led a walkout after losing to the Chicago Bulls after winning two NBA titles, but Joe Dumars never followed him. He stayed and shook Jordan’s hand, the way Jordan had always shook his when the Pistons had beaten him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Akdu...o&type=lgns

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I couldnt even begin to answer that question. I see saying "Golf is an old white mans sport" similar to saying "soccer is a young latino sport", which, considering its popularity in Europe is pretty wrong. Golf is everywhere, its an WEALTHY mans sport IMO, someone who has the means to play the game can dominate. That doesnt mean people without as much money cannot compete, but the more money you have the better equipment you can use and the better off you are.

I dont know, I think it is a incorrect generalization, and I think Tiger Woods has a lot more worldwide appeal than some here are giving him credit for because of the sport he plays. Tiger is the face of Nike and Gatorade, just like Mike was, people know who he is.

Just like baseball, the more money you have the more likely you are to succeed, but if ur gifted at the sport then ur gifted and guys can make it.

One problem with seeing golf as a white only sport is that it isnt a sport that offers alot of scholarships for college or the attraction of quick money like football and basketball do, so many high schoolers see golf as a secondary sport and therefore you lose out on a lot of potential start golfers because many dont play until they are older.