Uribe to 15 Day DL retroactive, Wise called up

Princess Dye

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Methinks this is setting up the dealing of Anderson in a trade for a 2B. Perhaps.

I doubt it. They were probably just sick of carrying 24 players, calling up Wise gives Ozzie a lefty bat off the bench who can also run a little. This should have no real effect on Anderson. You're reading too much into this.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might get some PT against Weaver on Saturday. Since the Sox have stunk against him, that where he might get some time. But to me this makes sense, Alexei is gonna get all the PT at second, so they still have Pablo as the infield super sub and Swish to backup first. It was all about getting a veteran with speed, so the adjustment period for the next week is easy as opposed to Getz who would be getting his first sniff of the majors and he only really plays second.

That's a good point about Weaver.

Both Owens and Bourgeois have been disappointing in Charlotte, they're both hitting under .230 . Wise can pinch run and be a lefty bat off the bench. It just gives them more flexibility but yeah, they're a little thin in the infield. We will definitely see Ramirez pretty much every day here for a while.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
I doubt it. They were probably just sick of carrying 24 players, calling up Wise gives Ozzie a lefty bat off the bench who can also run a little. This should have no real effect on Anderson. You're reading too much into this.

Amen brother. Brian Anderson is the best defensive outfielder we have and has proven that he should be with the club. :gosox3:

This non-story of the Sox bringing up the hottest bat from Charlottte to be the 25th man for a few games while Uribe's on the DL is a non-story which requires no analysis. He's a lefty. Ozzie will throw him a start, pinch hit and pinch run him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Amen brother. Brian Anderson is the best defensive outfielder we have and has proven that he should be with the club. :gosox3:

You can get a defensive OF. But if we can get a 2b capable of leading off, it eliminates a two huge holes. Not at all anti-Brian, but at least philosophically one has to agree w/ that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
You can get a defensive OF. But if we can get a 2b capable of leading off, it eliminates a two huge holes. Not at all anti-Brian, but at least philosophically one has to agree w/ that.

Who are you going to get that can leadoff and play 2nd base for Anderson? The Orioles have Adam Jones in CF already, and the Pirates have McLouth. Thus, Roberts and Sanchez aren't likely. Anderson alone won't get you a starting 2nd baseman though..

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)

If you are harboring any ideas that Brian Roberts is coming here I think those rumors have ben put to rest. We won't be trading for him and most likely no one else either. What the quotes from the article on Uribe going to the DL failed to mention is that Richar is now on a rehab assignment to Charlotte. You might see him here by the end of June

Anderson's value is greatest to the Sox. He is a solid team player with a seemingly great attitude and has been perfect for his role this season. I don't believe teams view Anderson as a future all-star in the OF, but rather a solid starter or role player, which the Sox clearly see him as.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)

I'm sure a number of General Managers are busting down KW's door looking to deal their leadoff hitting secondbaseman for the Sox's 4th OF.

Brian Anderson has no trade value right now, for as well as he's played this season it's not exactly showing up on the statsheet.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
I'm sure a number of General Managers are busting down KW's door looking to deal their leadoff hitting secondbaseman for the Sox's 4th OF.

Brian Anderson has no trade value right now, for as well as he's played this season his numbers are still awful.

i never said a trade straight up.

again, my post says philosophically you do that. i dont think that's controversial enough to incite anything here.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
To the best of my knowledge, he never suited up for any team besides Charlotte.

I believe Wise has been in the majors with the Reds before

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Who are you going to get that can leadoff and play 2nd base for Anderson? The Orioles have Adam Jones in CF already, and the Pirates have McLouth. Thus, Roberts and Sanchez aren't likely. Anderson alone won't get you a starting 2nd baseman though..

ryan Freel

Funny how quickly this turned into an Anderson trade thread.

Bringing up Wise seems logical and simple to me. We had no left-handed bench depth... no one who could pinch hit. And now we do.

Wise is knocking the cover off the ball. And it won't screw up his career development to park his 30-year old keister on the bench.

BTW - He's had major league at-bats with Toronto, Atlanta, and Cincinnati before the Sox got him.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/Dewayne-Wise.shtml

Edited by scenario

This Anderson stuff is a bunch of phony balony. They are not about to trade BA. His trade value isn't high and he is helping the Sox right now and still has the ability to develop into a league average if not above average starting Cfer.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
I believe Wise has been in the majors with the Reds before

Braves I know for sure. I remember him hitting a long homer off of Kerry Wood in the game that clinched the Cubs wouldn't make the playoffs in 2004.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
The last thing Reds need though is another center fielder. They have Jay Bruce on the horizon.

you asked who we could get for andersen and I gave you a name. I think they would make that trade, griffey and Dunn will both be traded within the next year. so there you go.

geez, people are reading waaaaay too much into such a simple move. Uribe got DL'ed, opening a spot on the bench. It was simple to see who would get called up, and that was Wise. Looking at his numbers, he has plus speed, and has been ridiculous in Charlotte this season. Plus, he is a lefty. This was a simple move, as if he can play all 3 OF positions with plus D, and add a lefty bat off the bench with some pop, he can contribute more so than Getz, or Bourgeois (who's been terrible this year anyway).