Uribe to 15 Day DL retroactive, Wise called up

Princess Dye

QUOTE (quickman @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
konerko needs some time off, maybe now is the time. Move swish to first, give konerko the weekend off. Have a backup outfielder in place if we need it.

Ask and you shall receive. PK likely out this entire wknd. Anderson to start in CF, Swisher at 1b.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (quickman @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
you asked who we could get for andersen and I gave you a name. I think they would make that trade, griffey and Dunn will both be traded within the next year. so there you go.

I think Ray Durham for Brian Anderson and a pitching prospect is more likely. Nice to see you around here quick.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
I think Ray Durham for Brian Anderson and a pitching prospect is more likely. Nice to see you around here quick.

Oh the irony of Rowand and Anderson in the same outfield...again, and Anderson being blocked by Rowand.

so what, we have enough veterans to keep him in line

I agree that Freel likes to drinky drinky but lots of players did (do) that. As you say if the leadership is strong enough it wouldn't be a problem. Sheer speculation on this though. Reds are in the basement but only 6-7 out and it's still May. I think their new GM wants to wait and evaluate.

geez, people are reading waaaaay too much into such a simple move. Uribe got DL'ed, opening a spot on the bench. It was simple to see who would get called up, and that was Wise. Looking at his numbers, he has plus speed, and has been ridiculous in Charlotte this season. Plus, he is a lefty. This was a simple move, as if he can play all 3 OF positions with plus D, and add a lefty bat off the bench with some pop, he can contribute more so than Getz, or Bourgeois (who's been terrible this year anyway).

Totally agree it's being analyzed more than it deserves.

If Cowley is to be believed, KW is looking for a 2B who can lead off. He mentioned Figgins, I don't see why LAA makes that deal. Then there's Durham which is a possibility but the White Sox won't give anyone off their 25 man to get him, nor should they unless it's Uribe. Scouring the other rosters ... it's Freel. He hasnt' played much 2B lately but he's not bad there.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 23, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
I agree that Freel likes to drinky drinky but lots of players did (do) that. As you say if the leadership is strong enough it wouldn't be a problem. Sheer speculation on this though. Reds are in the basement but only 6-7 out and it's still May. I think their new GM wants to wait and evaluate.

While I agree we changed this topic completely and nothing will happen immediately i think freel is expendable at anytime. He is not griffey or Dunn. I think if the osx wanted too they could get this done rather quickly. Anyway, the winning streak ends tonight, LA always gives us fits. We will need to re-group and start another win streak.

QUOTE (quickman @ May 23, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
so what, we have enough veterans to keep him in line

I don't think anyone besides a psychiatrist can keep players who think they have little leprechauns living in their head "in line."

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
I don't anyone besides a physcotrist can keep players who think they have little leuppercans living in their head "in line."

BearSox. You so unintentionally funny, it's just great. :lol:

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
BearSox. You so unintentionally funny, it's just great. :lol:

Oh, I knew I spelled leprechaun and psychiatrist wrong... I was just hoping I'd have enough time to edit before anyone saw my post... apparently, I did not.

And if grammar is such a really big deal, you could use a lesson or two with that post :P

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
Oh, I knew I spelled leprechaun and psychiatrist wrong... I was just hoping I'd have enough time to edit before anyone saw my post... apparently, I did not.

And if grammar is such a really big deal, you could use a lesson or two with that post :P

I just thought that it was funny. It could have been anyone.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
I just thought that it was funny. It could have been anyone.

My spelling is about as bad as it gets. Grammar wise, I think I'm fairly good in that category. But I can't spell at all. Like in grammar school, while everyone didn't study at all and would ace all the spelling tests, I'd have to study the night before, and if I didn't, I'd struggle.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
My spelling is about as bad as it gets. Grammar wise, I think I'm fairly good in that category. But I can't spell at all. Like in grammar school, while everyone didn't study at all and would ace all the spelling tests, I'd have to study the night before, and if I didn't, I'd struggle.

Seriesly?

:P

Why burn an option on Getz? Why call up Jerry Owens when his OPS is sub-.600?

The call-up is easy. After Uribe is activated, you hope Wise has either shown he's a capable 4th outfielder and you can trade Anderson for a 2B-leadoff type, that he's bad enough that you can DFA him and he'll accept an assignment to AAA, or he's shown enough that you can get a piece, any piece for him. Period.

I'm not really for a Durham trade that involves Anderson because I love the s*** out of Anderson and I think there are a few other pieces the Giants would like more, but it is what it is. Anderson's not nearly as untouchable to me as Fields is, so you do what you feel is necessary. I'm not for it, not against it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2008 -> 05:00 AM)
Why burn an option on Getz? Why call up Jerry Owens when his OPS is sub-.600?

The call-up is easy. After Uribe is activated, you hope Wise has either shown he's a capable 4th outfielder and you can trade Anderson for a 2B-leadoff type, that he's bad enough that you can DFA him and he'll accept an assignment to AAA, or he's shown enough that you can get a piece, any piece for him. Period.

I'm not really for a Durham trade that involves Anderson because I love the s*** out of Anderson and I think there are a few other pieces the Giants would like more, but it is what it is. Anderson's not nearly as untouchable to me as Fields is, so you do what you feel is necessary. I'm not for it, not against it.

Wise was brought up because he can hit and from the minor league is our best left hand hitter off the bench.. he can play all the outfield positions.. I looked at Swisher's stats he does not do well from the left side against righties.. If we are going to give Wise a shot try him against some righties and take Swish out for a game or so. We face right handers at least 60% of the time.. Maybe it could be a regular platoon thing if it works...