Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Holy Christ.

1993 was horrific. These levels blow that flood away. That's incredible.

Some towns will not survive this.

The financial toll will be monstrous.

soo.... is this good or bad for me that I am considering moving to the IC area next summer? lol

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
soo.... is this good or bad for me that I am considering moving to the IC area next summer? lol

There may not be much of Iowa City left if water keeps rising.

They also just told a story about how they were letting no one back into downtown CR, but they took a man in so he could get his son's ashes before his house went under.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
I sure as heck hope that most of these folks have flood insurance.

Well, the water is stretching out past the 500 year flood plain in CR....so at this point, I'd be a little surprised.

New level at CR: 28.5 feet, forecast unavailable, but expected to go up another 2-3 feet.

Old record: 20'

Flood Stage: 12'

So basically, it's up about 20 feet.

Now, KCRG is saying they may have to evacuate.

For those unaware, that used to be an island with a building in the middle.

picture1xk6.png

Cedar River @ CR to crest at 32 feet tomorrow morning, 20 feet above flood stage, 12 above the record.

It's a bit disconcerting to see whitecaps on cornfields.

CR now under a Thunderstorm warning.

Hail now in SW CR.

Well I was going to go home to Joliet tomorrow afternoon for Father's day weekend, but I'm not sure what the exact detour is. I have a court date for a speeding ticket Monday Morning in Moline, but I'm not sure if I have to go.

http://www.kcci.com/weather/16585101/detail.html

The original detour route has been abandoned. The new detour for persons traveling across Iowa is:

Westbound: The detour begins at U.S. 61 in the Quad Cities. It continues north on US. 61 to U.S. 20/Dubuque. Then west on U.S. 20 to Interstate 35. Then south on Interstate 35 to Interstate 80 in Des Moines.

Eastbound: The detour begins at Interstate 35 in Des Moines. It continues north on Interstate 35 to U.S. 20, then east on U.S. 20 to U.S. 61 at Dubuque. The detour then travels south on U.S. 61 to Interstate 80 at the Quad Cities.

I can't drive to Dubuque for this. The original route was to go up I-380 before Iowa City, to US30, then south on US 38 to get back on I-80? Is that closed now?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
Well I was going to go home to Joliet tomorrow afternoon for Father's day weekend, but I'm not sure what the exact detour is. I have a court date for a speeding ticket Monday Morning in Moline, but I'm not sure if I have to go.

I can't drive to Dubuque for this. The original route was to go up I-380 before Iowa City, to US30, then south on US 38 to get back on I-80? Is that closed now?

You can just take 30 west through Clinton at the border to Rock Falls... There you can pick up 88. That'll be quicker than bothering to go all the way up and down on and off 80

Oh goodness. A levee breached in Coralville, spilling water onto 1st Ave./HWY 6(The Coralville Strip). A hotel has been evacuated, and several homes and businesses are now in trouble. The U of I softball complex is apparently also under water; this is right along HWY 6. The IMU, EPB and Main Library (in addition to several others) have also been shut down on campus. All sports camps have been canceled for the next two weeks. Cedar Rapids is getting absolutely nailed, but I think Coralville/Iowa City may turn out to be much worse. :pray

Press-Citizen Link

ETA: This is supposed to have a live feed of local coverage for those interested. They're doing an absolutely fantastic job. KCRG - Cedar Rapids

ETA2: This is from the Coralville Strip at 8:15 tonight.

Sorry, I don't know how to embed stuff yet. Edited by shaneomacfan

One of my best friends is from Cedar Rapids. His parents house is fine, because its on a hilltop. But his brother's house got massive flooding. He compared it to New Orleans and a complete disaster.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
One of my best friends is from Cedar Rapids. His parents house is fine, because its on a hilltop. But his brother's house got massive flooding. He compared it to New Orleans and a complete disaster.

My wife just got off the phone with her mom. Few things of note...

• For those of you who know about the Sutliff Bridge... it's gone. washed away
  • My wife's family is basically "stuck" at home east of Iowa City. They cant go north (380 is shut down). Cant go East (80 is shut down). To go south, they need to go all the way to Des Moines. To get to Chicago (like they had planned for this weekend) they would have had to go west to Des Moines, south into Missouri, then back east and up north to Chicago.

KCRG just showed a clip of a CNN reporter (Gary Tuchman maybe?) that got into the flood waters in CR up to his chest.

You know, the flood waters full of raw sewage downtown.

They just showed the CR police berating him.

goddamnit i hate this. sitting here in chicago while my family's at home in IC. I f***ing can't deal with it. i want to be there helping but there's no way to get there. even if i could get away from my job/shows/etc i couldn't physically drive to my house because all the roads are closed. it sucks being so powerless.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
goddamnit i hate this. sitting here in chicago while my family's at home in IC. I f***ing can't deal with it. i want to be there helping but there's no way to get there. even if i could get away from my job/shows/etc i couldn't physically drive to my house because all the roads are closed. it sucks being so powerless.

You're not powerless. Worst comes to worst, donations and/or work or recovery afterwards will be absolutely necessary and they'll be looking for everyone they can. If it gets bad enough, there would have been nothing you could have done anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 04:18 AM)
You're not powerless. Worst comes to worst, donations and/or work or recovery afterwards will be absolutely necessary and they'll be looking for everyone they can. If it gets bad enough, there would have been nothing you could have done anyways.

oh i know, i'm definitely gonna help out. as soon as i can get home i'm going to cuz the aftermath's gonna be ugly. it's just frustrating currently.

good news though, theoretically the reservoir crested last night so here's hoping.

bildewigpen.jpg

bilde6strip.jpg

These were taken a couple days ago, and show the extent of the damage to the Coralville Strip so far. The Wig & Pen is an awesome little place right off the strip; They said the last time they were flooded (which wasn't nearly this bad) that it took 3 months to get it back open. I can't imagine how long it'll take this time. The second picture is an aerial view of the strip. You can see the outline of the U of I's softball complex, where the team I help coach is supposed to have a tournament in two weeks, highly doubting that one at this point. At the top of this picture is Carver-Hawkeye Arena, which will hopefully be okay now that the reservoir has crested. Late last week, however, the water was inching closer to the driveway, which is downhill until the back entrance, which is then downhill to the locker rooms/offices/equipment room and finally the playing floor. It will be quite some time before a lot of the communities affected begin to look the same again. :unsure: