Should Konerko be put on the DL to heal his thumb?

VAfan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
What if the Sox put Konerko on the DL and called up Brad Eldred to play first base? He's been hitting the ball well---but I'm not sure about his defense. Would Eldred be a viable option?

I very seriously doubt it. There are plenty of guys ahead of Eldred, especially because the Sox have other guys who can play 1B. I think they would call up a middle IF if Konerko was DLd.

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
What if the Sox put Konerko on the DL and called up Brad Eldred to play first base? He's been hitting the ball well---but I'm not sure about his defense. Would Eldred be a viable option?

Already brought up in this thread by multiple posters.

Yes, I think he's the best option if Paulie goes to the DL. But its hard to say if a short DL stint will really help him at this point (see ptatc's post).

I think he should be put on the DL until fully healed since he isnt helping the team at all now. The unfortuante thing is I think he was already in a slump and even when he is fully healed he might not be performing that well.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's on his left thumb? Wouldn't it also bother him when catching throws at first base? Also, is this injury different than the gamekeeper's thumb that some catchers get?

Gamekeeper's thumb is a torn ulnar collateral ligament in the thumb. It's like any torn ligament the joint is unstable until surgery. You could brace it and play because it involves only the thumb. The problem with the one paulie has is that it involves the wrist as well because the tendons cross both joints.

it doesn't really matter which thumb it is for hitting as it hurts to grip with either. He could brace it for the field but hitting is where it will bother him the most.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
Great stuff.

So it's fair to expect this whole year to be a struggle for him, quite possibly very subpar numbers wise.

Yes, it depends how it responds to interventions such as ultrasound and iontophoresis which are more conservative interventions to decrease inflammation. He may do well if these modalities keep the inflammation down with an occasional injections. However, the is the best case scenario.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Yes, it depends how it responds to interventions such as ultrasound and iontophoresis which are more conservative interventions to decrease inflammation. He may do well if these modalities keep the inflammation down with an occasional injections. However, the is the best case scenario.

So if it takes 8 weeks, it takes 8 weeks. We could bring up Fields for another outfield experiment and switch Swisher to 1B, or we could bring up Eldred. I don't think that would represent any drop-off vs. a hurt and ineffective PK. This isn't Paulie's last year with the Sox and we need to take care of him.

If a deteriorating PK is such a big piece that we can't afford to DL him, this won't be the Sox's year anyway. Give him his 8 weeks.

Edited by jeffthedude

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Jason I doubt the Cubs want Owens. I can't see Lou wanting him, not until they make the call on Edmonds, at minimum.

Murton is a man without a position and that's what keeps him from the majors. I agree the power thing is overrated. For whatever reason Hendry has been very reluctant to part with him. Red Sox have asked about getting him back and Hendry keeps shutting them down. It is a shame he's stuck in AAA though because he can hit.

Speaking of wayward Cubbie outfielders, it wouldn't shock me if Corey Patterson gets DFA'd later today.

felix pie is better than owens, why would thye want owens. Owens sucks

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like Paulie could use a couple of weeks off. He's almost an automatic out at the plate, and playing him at 1B isn't helping his thumb heal. Maybe a stint on the 15-day DL (with Swisher at 1B and BA in CF), and working him back into the lineup slowly (to keep the swelling down) would be the best course of action.

sounds like paulie could use 8 weeks off. Put him down now and see him after the all star break. Go get freel, stick him in the leadoff spot, hit cabera second likes he wants and move AJ down to hit for more power to compensate for konerko. Andersen will man center field and bat ninth.

QUOTE (quickman @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
sounds like paulie could use 8 weeks off. Put him down now and see him after the all star break. Go get freel, stick him in the leadoff spot, hit cabera second likes he wants and move AJ down to hit for more power to compensate for konerko. Andersen will man center field and bat ninth.

He's batting better than a lot of the gaping holes in our lineup.

It sounds like its time for the DL for Paulie.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (quickman @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but it looks like he'll be OK if he's allowed to rest his thumb for a couple of weeks and if he's limited afterwards. I just don't see the point in playing him every day when he's not hitting and moving Swisher to 1B gives us much better defense in CF (Anderson). As long as Thome is slumping, why not platoon Paulie and JT at DH for a while, and see how Paulie's thumb responds?

I don't think that they need Freel. The rest of the lineup is hitting reasonably well and will get even better when Thome and Swisher get back on track. Their offense is in good shape, even without PK.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Yea, I think PK just needs a rest and to heal up...there is no way he's actually this bad all of a sudden...

one thing to consider is his chronic hip problem. This was discussed when he signed a long term deal. Watch for his hip rotation. Is it decreasing? Is he using more upper extremity and causing wrist and maybe other problems?

Hip rotation is a key to hitting and his will decrease with his hip problem. it's just a matter of when it begins to decrease.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
one thing to consider is his chronic hip problem. This was discussed when he signed a long term deal. Watch for his hip rotation. Is it decreasing? Is he using more upper extremity and causing wrist and maybe other problems?

Hip rotation is a key to hitting and his will decrease with his hip problem. it's just a matter of when it begins to decrease.

I don't think it's that at all. I've personally observed this, as have many others, and I think this is a mental and/or vision problem. It's become a regular thing that he will swing at a pitch 18 inches off the plate in the dirt and the very next pitch watch sail over the dead center...that's not hip issues, it's vision or mental issues as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Yea, I think PK just needs a rest and to heal up...there is no way he's actually this bad all of a sudden...

Actually, very slow starts are not that new to Paulie. He's had a few seasons where he was below the Mendoza line for quite a while, before getting hot. The question here is, are we seeing that again, or is it the wrist?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't think it's that at all. I've personally observed this, as have many others, and I think this is a mental and/or vision problem. It's become a regular thing that he will swing at a pitch 18 inches off the plate in the dirt and the very next pitch watch sail over the dead center...that's not hip issues, it's vision or mental issues as far as I'm concerned.

Probably, just another thing to watch with him.

Some of the poor swings are due to the wrist/thumb. If he begins a swing, it will really hurt to check it. I'm sure he just let's the swing go due to the pain. This may account for many awful looking swings.

So, Ptatc, our resident doctor (apparently), if Paulie has a "Syndrome" does that mean that this is a condition that won't go away even after rest? How did this come on in the first place?

If 8 weeks rest will help, then I'm for giving him the break and letting younger guys play. If that kind of rest won't make that much difference but less day-to-day wear and tear will help, then I like the idea of having him share time with Thome. But the bottom line has to be, if he can't do better than this line, which is second to worst in baseball among first basemen, then he needs to sit on the bench anyway.

26 Paul Konerko CHW 162 18 33 6 0 5 23 1 0 27 32 .204 .325 .333 .658

That line alone brings me back to DL'ing him, since at least that way we can bring up a healthy body to take his place. My vote would be Josh Fields, because he's the most likely to give us some offensive pop. I'd forget Brad Eldred. Sure, he seems like he's having a fine year, but he looks like a career minor leaguer.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)

Some of the poor swings are due to the wrist/thumb. If he begins a swing, it will really hurt to check it. I'm sure he just let's the swing go due to the pain. This may account for many awful looking swings.

first great posts, you must be very good at your job. I realize we all try to play doctor or fix it man, but clearly Paul Konerko is not playing well. Whether its a hip, or a hand, or his age, or his new batting stance, its not working. paul is also one of those guys who dwells mentally and tries to fix things in a hurry. The guy is going to drive himself crazy and quite frankly he has become a non entity to me as I become frustrated watching him everyday. It appears like he has pain in his hand which alters his batting stance which may alter his hip rotation, which may mess with his mind. Sit his ass down to heal, and fill the gapping leadoff hole and be done with it until all star break. you can't trade the guy and he can't continue to go 0 for 6 and be in the middle of your lineup. I would think the sox are smarter than this, I assume paulie doesn't want to sit and there respecting that, but something needs to get done.

first great posts, you must be very good at your job. I realize we all try to play doctor or fix it man, but clearly Paul Konerko is not playing well. Whether its a hip, or a hand, or his age, or his new batting stance, its not working. paul is also one of those guys who dwells mentally and tries to fix things in a hurry. The guy is going to drive himself crazy and quite frankly he has become a non entity to me as I become frustrated watching him everyday. It appears like he has pain in his hand which alters his batting stance which may alter his hip rotation, which may mess with his mind. Sit his ass down to heal, and fill the gapping leadoff hole and be done with it until all star break. you can't trade the guy and he can't continue to go 0 for 6 and be in the middle of your lineup. I would think the sox are smarter than this, I assume paulie doesn't want to sit and there respecting that, but something needs to get done.

How do you like that routine of Konerko unstrapping and restrapping the batting gloves after every pitch? And yet Freel is the nut case. :lolhitting

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
How do you like that routine of Konerko unstrapping and restrapping the batting gloves after every pitch? And yet Freel is the nut case. :lolhitting

Yea well I like nut cases that run wild on the base paths and leadoff. the whole lineup would be better. anyway, I suspect if paulie wanted to go on the DL he would. he is the one holding the sox back. He is just miserable, and really looks bad at the plate. I agree he hit the ball hard yesterday, but with nothing to show for it, you can see him talking to himself. This isn't bull durham or some movie. This guy is lost and hurt. get him out of there. I think by coming out i the trib today and talking about his hand is the first step to going on the DL. Wasn't it just last week when he said he wasn't going to talk about the hand? Now this. Its all prep for DL time. The shot was just to see if things changed. They didn't although there are still a few days left to find out.

I'd give him about two weeks to see how the time off/cortisone shot works for him, but if he continues to struggle, he HAS to go on the DL. We're better off with him getting healthy and not being in for a while, then coming back later hopefully back to full strength than we are with him hitting .220 due to an injury. Let's just hope the time off and shot help his thumb feel better, but we'll see.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yea well I like nut cases that run wild on the base paths and leadoff. the whole lineup would be better. anyway, I suspect if paulie wanted to go on the DL he would. he is the one holding the sox back. He is just miserable, and really looks bad at the plate. I agree he hit the ball hard yesterday, but with nothing to show for it, you can see him talking to himself. This isn't bull durham or some movie. This guy is lost and hurt. get him out of there. I think by coming out i the trib today and talking about his hand is the first step to going on the DL. Wasn't it just last week when he said he wasn't going to talk about the hand? Now this. Its all prep for DL time. The shot was just to see if things changed. They didn't although there are still a few days left to find out.

I bet they give this cortisone shot about 7-10 days to work. Not sure how long it takes to kick in. Hmmm, that puts the timing into June, when players start to become available.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)

He has said it is affecting his pitch selection at the plate.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
I'd give him about two weeks to see how the time off/cortisone shot works for him, but if he continues to struggle, he HAS to go on the DL. We're better off with him getting healthy and not being in for a while, then coming back later hopefully back to full strength than we are with him hitting .220 due to an injury. Let's just hope the time off and shot help his thumb feel better, but we'll see.

+1