Signings from the 2008 Draft

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
True you can play minor league baseball and still play another sport in college but once you've lost amateur athlete status you have to pay your own tuition. I know this b/c of the Dennis Dixon situation (Oregon is my alma mater)

Some baseball players will get school paid for in their contracts though.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
This is where you have to have good relations with a scout of an organization. It happened to be where we played there was an area scout who worked for the Braves (former Giants player) and because of it there were a few guys drafted into the Braves organization (as well as a few undrafted signings). So the opportunity is obviously greater in an area where there is significant major league talent (as it means you'll get familiar with some of the scouts who you'll have brief conversations with).

In our case, the scout happened to attend some non-high school games (more the summer league type of games where you'd be on a traveling team). But based on those relationships you may tell the scout or indicate to him your desire to play at the professional level and given a good rappore something might happen.

Gageroo, I'm going to have to talk to you about this more in-depth pretty soon.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Think about it...

Sign as a 20-something round draft pick or spend a year (or two) on scholarship to Florida State and hope you go higher.

On top of that... assume you have rich parents.

Minor league buses in the Carolinas... or suntanned sorority girls and the chance to be a stud-athlete on campus?

Tough decision for an 18 year old?

I'm sure any minor league baseball player can attest to the fact that the women are just as plentiful and available. You should see the "ho train" that shows up every night at the Barons games. In fact, I think most of the players keep on playing just for that alone. The priorities are 1. women 2. trying to make it 3. the love of the game.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
I'm sure any minor league baseball player can attest to the fact that the women are just as plentiful and available. You should see the "ho train" that shows up every night at the Barons games. In fact, I think most of the players keep on playing just for that alone. The priorities are 1. women 2. trying to make it 3. the love of the game.

I missed my true calling in life. <_>

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Any word on Beckham or Danks?

bottom paragraph of the article, sounds very promising, really hope we can sign him, I think that will instantly upgrade the overall quality of draft that we had this year considering the probability that we wasted a pick on KW2

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65850

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in....xml&coll=3

Faith pitcher, USA shortstop wear same Sox

Upchurch, Kateon go pro with Chicago White Sox's affiliate in Bristol, Va.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

By BEN THOMAS

Sports Reporter

Steven Upchurch was looking for a pro baseball future all along. Bunky Kateon was just looking to move on with his life.

Ironically, by next week, both will be suited up for the rookie-league Bristol (Va.) Sox, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.

The two Mobile products signed contracts with the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday. Upchurch, a pitcher from Faith Academy, spurned a scholarship to Auburn University to get a jump-start on his professional career. Kateon, a University of South Alabama shortstop, was getting ready to study for the law school exam after not being drafted at all.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in....xml&coll=3

Faith pitcher, USA shortstop wear same Sox

Upchurch, Kateon go pro with Chicago White Sox's affiliate in Bristol, Va.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

By BEN THOMAS

Sports Reporter

Steven Upchurch was looking for a pro baseball future all along. Bunky Kateon was just looking to move on with his life.

Ironically, by next week, both will be suited up for the rookie-league Bristol (Va.) Sox, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.

The two Mobile products signed contracts with the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday. Upchurch, a pitcher from Faith Academy, spurned a scholarship to Auburn University to get a jump-start on his professional career. Kateon, a University of South Alabama shortstop, was getting ready to study for the law school exam after not being drafted at all.

Dibs on Bunky Kateon for AAP. What a great name.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Dibs on Bunky Kateon for AAP. What a great name.

Both of these last two guys are from Mobile. I'm pretty sure historically Mobile has produced more HOF players than any other city. Wouldn't that be great if it continued?

Also, to choose the Sox over Auburn is a pretty big deal considering the fervor people have for Bama and Auburn.

Edited by chunk23

So pumped we got Upchurch signed. He was 1st or 2nd round talent that fell because of concerns about signability. I watched his scouting video and was very impressed with him. Between him and Hudson, I think we have 2 very good pitching prospects coming from this draft.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
Both of these last two guys are from Mobile. I'm pretty sure historically Mobile has produced more HOF players than any other city. Wouldn't that be great if it continued?

Also, to choose the Sox over Auburn is a pretty big deal considering the fervor people have for Bama and Auburn.

That fervor only extends to the football teams, trust me. There is a deafening silence when it's college baseball season in Alabama. And, they hold the SEC baseball tournament at the stadium the Barons play in. They could both be in it, win it, or go to the College World Series & it wouldn't matter to a lot of people. There are a lot of 36 hours a year sports fans in Alabama, and that is the time it takes to watch your preferred team play all of its football games. I've heard nothing but "it's only two months until football season" a lot lately. Football's the only sport that matters here, plain and simple.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
I think the number is 11.7 now that the NCAA nixed baseball again. Before this last season they also put in a rule where they have to take classes in the spring now (hah) and transfers have to sit out a year now.

Another way college baseball gets screwed is with the new NCAA graduation rate rules. If a program (any college program) does graduate the athletes at a certain rate they lose scholarships. With the number of baseball players leaving after their jumior year, the programs get penalized as these athletes have not graduated.

This is another reason "partial" scholarships are the norm for college baseball.

Stoked. This is a big signing, if we can get two of Danks, Upchurch, and Long to sign I'll consider this draft a success for the immediate future. Those were three players with signability issues which is why they slipped in the draft, to have one of them in the fold is great news.

All indications are that Danks will be signing. Afterall, you don't take batting practice in front of all the big wigs in the organization if you aren't pretty high up on the priority list. Between Upchurch and Danks, as well as Beckham we are talking about 3 Top 2 round talents while only have one pick in the top 2 rounds.