Konerko injures rib cage, may hit DL

SoxPride56

The media is playing this off like its a huge deal, but why? The guy is horrible right now. Everyone here knows, you throw him a breaking ball, he ain't touching it. He has always been a fastball hitter and now he is barely that anymore. This is a blessing because we actually get someone up who can do something whether a legitimate base stealing threat who can help manufacture runs (Owens) or we get a legit power threat (Fields or Eldred). Then in two weeks, Paulie hopefully is recovered from his hip and hopefully the finger and can be productive the rest of the season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
Between Eldred or Owens, I have to go with Eldred. Strike outs will be bad, but, fact is, he'll still likely outproduce Jerry.

That said, I'll throw another name out there... David Cook.

Saw David play a couple weeks ago here in Montgomery, WOW~~

looks like the real deal to me

Edited by letsgoarow

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 07:09 AM)
You know what, I agree. If he were tearing it up in AAA I would say well, why not. But he isn't, he has been very inconsistent. 3-5 one night, 0-4 the next two nights. On base % not that great, I think about .332 or so.

On the other hand, looking at the 40 man, there's not much else. They have one spot open so they could bring someone from outside on board. Unless they want to go the DeWayne Wise route again. Frankly, no one they have in the minors fits the bill. They need a contact hitter with speed, preferably a leadoff guy, a veteran guy who can help in a pennant race and a guy who can disrupt the opposition. Is that guy available? If so, they need to get it done. The team is sleepwalking, it is frustrating to everyone and they need a jolt.

i would love to stick it to the cub fans, they have been clamoring about getting lofton, i would love to pluck him, then play him this weekend. God I hate the Cubs, but I hate Cub fans even more. I am one person not looking forward to this weekend.

Someone like Konerko doesn't really have an all-or-nothing approach, though. He has a nothing approach. He's hitting for a low average with little power. If he were hitting around .280 with his usual power numbers his all-or-nothing approach wouldn't be so terrible. Fields certainly isn't an ideal hitter for this lineup but he could at least provide us some respectable production. I'd take that over the other in-house options like Owens, BA, and the injured and/or washed up Konerko.

Actually you bring up a really good point. If Williams decides to go in house for a solution, he is settling. Settling for something that doesn't really fit.

While I realize this isn't grocery shopping and you can't just pluck something off the shelf to fill the team's needs, the fact is this team is in the hunt. When you are 4 games in front in mid June you look to add to your team. Try to win this thing. The pitching has been quite good, the pen is not overworked, those are good signs.

The offense is killing this team so it's logical to add to the offense. And while I hope players like Owens and Fields turn out to be good, I would feel a lot better about them if they were mastering AAA. But they are not. Williams' hands may be tied at the moment but he needs to get a catalyst of some sort in here, and soon. Like, this week.

i would love to stick it to the cub fans, they have been clamoring about getting lofton, i would love to pluck him, then play him this weekend. God I hate the Cubs, but I hate Cub fans even more. I am one person not looking forward to this weekend.

We covered this Sat. night while listening to "Shanty". I am not looking forward to it either. I hate these series, I hate all the back-and-forth with the loudmouth Cub fans and it has started already. It is like a pack mentality with those people, they are like sheep bleating and bleating.

Unless Williams has a trade up his sleeve, then he needs to bite the bullet and sign the guy he wants. It's painfully obvious, especially after this weekend's games.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
Actually you bring up a really good point. If Williams decides to go in house for a solution, he is settling. Settling for something that doesn't really fit.

Sort of. There actually is a guy at Charlotte right now who would, profile wise, seem to be an ideal fit. A lefty hitting outfielder with a record of high OBP and high power numbers, who can play all three outfield positions. David Cook.

The only issue with him is, since he was just promoted to AAA... is he ready?

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
We covered this Sat. night while listening to "Shanty". I am not looking forward to it either. I hate these series, I hate all the back-and-forth with the loudmouth Cub fans and it has started already. It is like a pack mentality with those people, they are like sheep bleating and bleating.

Unless Williams has a trade up his sleeve, then he needs to bite the bullet and sign the guy he wants. It's painfully obvious, especially after this weekend's games.

I agree, I hate the series more than anyone. If someone would tell me the Sox win 2 out of 6, I'd say fine and not watch the games at all. I really am not looking forward to all the offspeed pitches we miss against Dempster. Also, it will be interesting if Danks can last 5 innings with the patient Cubs offense.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 07:05 AM)
The media is playing this off like its a huge deal, but why? The guy is horrible right now. Everyone here knows, you throw him a breaking ball, he ain't touching it. He has always been a fastball hitter and now he is barely that anymore. This is a blessing because we actually get someone up who can do something whether a legitimate base stealing threat who can help manufacture runs (Owens) or we get a legit power threat (Fields or Eldred). Then in two weeks, Paulie hopefully is recovered from his hip and hopefully the finger and can be productive the rest of the season.

Agreed and I'll add that Thome going on the DL might not be a bad thing either. Paulie hasn't been healthy for at least a month, but Thome looks like he's done. His BB/K ratio is terrible right now. And that's alarming because he's getting blown away with low-90's fastballs, which suggests that he's lost bat speed due to age.

As for Griffey, he'd only be a marginal improvement over Thome. And the Sox would have to cut Thome if they made the move. And I'm not sure that they'd want to do that, as (1) Griffey probably wants to play close to his home in Florida and (2) the PR backlash from cutting Thome might be significant. Lofton is still available, but who knows how long it'll take him to get his swing back. And since neither Fields or anybody else in the Sox's farm system would be an improvement, I don't see them doing anything.

The bottom line is that the Sox are going to have to win with JD, Quentin, Crede, AJ, and Swisher. They can't rely on PK or JT this year. It's doable because that's still a pretty solid lineup, but all of those guys are going to have to have solid second halves.

Edited by WCSox

Sort of. There actually is a guy at Charlotte right now who would, profile wise, seem to be an ideal fit. A lefty hitting outfielder with a record of high OBP and high power numbers, who can play all three outfield positions. David Cook.

Another good point. Possibly he's an option. If they think he is, he'll be here. Pretty sure Cook hits right handed though doesn't he?

Edited by 29andPoplar

I agree, I hate the series more than anyone. If someone would tell me the Sox win 2 out of 6, I'd say fine and not watch the games at all. I really am not looking forward to all the offspeed pitches we miss against Dempster. Also, it will be interesting if Danks can last 5 innings with the patient Cubs offense.

Well I'm not ready to concede a damn thing. This will be playoff like intensity and they need to man up and perform.

The last thing this team needs is an all-or-nothing, base clogging power hitter like Eldred. He'd fit right into this lineup: Strikeout or homerun.

They need someone who can steal bases. If it's Owens, so be it.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Another good point. Possibly he's an option. If they think he is, he'll be here. Pretty sure Cook hits right handed though doesn't he?

yeah, I'm not sure why I said he was lefty. I think I meant righty. Yes, he hits righty.

If lefthandedness is key, then I suppose Owens has to be it. But I am not aware of Cook's splits, so, I can't say if his righthandedness is important, hitting-wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
yeah, I'm not sure why I said he was lefty. I think I meant righty. Yes, he hits righty.

If lefthandedness is key, then I suppose Owens has to be it. But I am not aware of Cook's splits, so, I can't say if his righthandedness is important, hitting-wise.

Sample size is a tad small in AAA.

.500 in 8 ABs against lefties.

.222 in 9 ABs against righties.

He has 7 strikeouts in 17 ABs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
What prognosis would KW need to get on PK for him to pull the trigger on a big trade for a power hitter?

PK would have to go to the doctor and have the doctor tell him that Paul has regressed in to a studly young 22 year old AAA level prospect that other teams might be dying to have...because there's nothing else in our system that is going to interest anyone for the power hitters on the market (Holliday, Gonzalez/Giles, etc.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
PK would have to go to the doctor and have the doctor tell him that Paul has regressed in to a studly young 22 year old AAA level prospect that other teams might be dying to have...because there's nothing else in our system that is going to interest anyone for the power hitters on the market (Holliday, Gonzalez/Giles, etc.)

My only worry is that Kong tries to play through it, or thinks that a few days of rest will cure it.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
My only worry is that Kong tries to play through it, or thinks that a few days of rest will cure it.

So far, that seems to be the route everyone has taken this season...they've been really, really hesitant to use the DL for people or even to give them days off when they're clearly hurting. Quentin keeps playing, Konerko took forever to get an offday to cover the hand, Uribe they waited a week with before putting him on the DL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)

Lilly will throw the junk up there and have us spinning like tops. Furthermore Konerko willnot e there and he usually hits well against the cubs.Thome will be out, not that these guys are great, but we are not playing with a full deck. The thought of uribe in the lineup is horrible.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Sample size is a tad small in AAA.

.500 in 8 ABs against lefties.

.222 in 9 ABs against righties.

He has 7 strikeouts in 17 ABs.

Yeah, that's why I said he was just promoted to AAA. Look at his AA numbers this year - he had a 1.044 OPS. About the same last year, split between High A and AA. And that AA park is no hitter's dream, its pretty big. Also, he's had a history of walking more than striking out.

I wouldn't look at 17 at-bats just after being promoted to show you much - that average is way high, and his strikeouts are too. Both will settle down.

I'd be very curious to see his splits from AA, when he had a fair number of at bats. But I can't find those.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)

Cook will need a month or so in AAA imo.

He wasnt even in AA half a year. He was up the last month of last year, and then so far this year. Like most of you know i work in the Southern League so ive had a chance to meet him. He is a terrific guy, and a 5 tool player. Also has some suprising power numbers.

I would think either early next year or september call up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Between Eldred or Owens, I have to go with Eldred. Strike outs will be bad, but, fact is, he'll still likely outproduce Jerry.

That said, I'll throw another name out there... David Cook.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic and talking about the guy who won American Idol... even still, that'd be a better suggestion than some of the things I read on this board.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Agreed and I'll add that Thome going on the DL might not be a bad thing either. Paulie hasn't been healthy for at least a month, but Thome looks like he's done. His BB/K ratio is terrible right now. And that's alarming because he's getting blown away with low-90's fastballs, which suggests that he's lost bat speed due to age.

As for Griffey, he'd only be a marginal improvement over Thome. And the Sox would have to cut Thome if they made the move. And I'm not sure that they'd want to do that, as (1) Griffey probably wants to play close to his home in Florida and (2) the PR backlash from cutting Thome might be significant. Lofton is still available, but who knows how long it'll take him to get his swing back. And since neither Fields or anybody else in the Sox's farm system would be an improvement, I don't see them doing anything.

The bottom line is that the Sox are going to have to win with JD, Quentin, Crede, AJ, and Swisher. They can't rely on PK or JT this year. It's doable because that's still a pretty solid lineup, but all of those guys are going to have to have solid second halves.

It's doable as long as the pitching keeps being strong.

I'd let Paulie rest up for 15, and have him healthy to key this offense in the 2nd half, because if you look at his splits, he is notorious for being a 2nd half hitter.

I think BA deserves to be starting however, and I rather him get AB's than say call up Owens and have him play everyday.

And that's with Swisher at 1B and Ramirez at 2B. Don't want to see Uribe in there playing.