Who would you add to the 25 man roster

NorthSideSox72

Who should replace Konerko, if he is DL'd?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be added?

• Jerry Owens
    • Brad Eldred
    • David Cook
    • Dewayne Wise
    • Chris Getz
    • Josh Fields
    • Kenny Lofton
    • Other (specify in thread)

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Sounds good in theory but the latest buzz was the Orioles starting point was Ramirez, one of either Danks or Floyd, plus another player for Roberts. Emphasis on starting point.

Which is, frankly, just about what it should be. If they're going to trade him, they ought to hold out for a solid young starting pitcher and a cheap/young position player. Poreda might be useful in such a deal, but frankly, outside of Poreda, we have nothing that should genuinely interest them outside of our big league roster. Broadway might work as the throw in 3rd player, but Poreda + Broadway wouldn't get it done if I were running the O's.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
Trade for Brian Roberts, and move Ramirez to CF.

I like that plan. But there is no way we give up one of our young starters. Maybe KW can make a strong push for a guy like Willy Tavarez again? It doesnt look like Colorodo is going anywhere this year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
I like that plan. But there is no way we give up one of our young starters. Maybe KW can make a strong push for a guy like Willy Tavarez again? It doesnt look like Colorodo is going anywhere this year.

Is Willy Taveras's .239 batting average or .294 OBP something that Jerry Owens couldn't better? (He did better them last year)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Is Willy Taveras's .239 batting average or .294 OBP something that Jerry Owens couldn't better? (He did better them last year)

I know his #s really aren't that attractive (Other than his 30 SBs) But he is a much cheaper leadoff option. Believe me, i would much rather have Roberts, but that wont happen. Unless KW parts with Danks or Floyd of course....

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Right, but we that player in the organization right now, and is in your sig. Given the lack of speed with this club, along with Ozzie love with speed, I don't doubt Owens would be matching the numbers Taveras is putting up right now, which isn't much of an accomplishment.

I think JO would probably be putting up significantly better numbers than Taveras in the big leagues, just based on the fact that he did so last year, if he were called up.

Why in the world would we want Willy Taveras?

I don't even like Jerry Owens and I'd rather have Owens than Taveras.

Looking at Owens splits is interesting...http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=435539

He had a good April

He had a very bad May

And he's having a very good June

Taveras' splits on the other hand suggest that he has been consistently bad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7269/s...hHFamV_bGGFCLcF

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Why in the world would we want Willy Taveras?

I don't even like Jerry Owens and I'd rather have Owens than Taveras.

Looking at Owens splits is interesting...http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=435539

He had a good April

He had a very bad May

And he's having a very good June

Taveras' splits on the other hand suggest that he has been consistently bad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7269/s...hHFamV_bGGFCLcF

I wonder if there isn't something about the combination of Owens's wide open batting stance and swing plus the fact that he essentially lacks power that makes him more predisposed to extended slumps than you'd expect from a speed guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
BTW, one of our minor league local posters is saying that Fields is now on the DL. I don't have any further info.

He's had problems with one of his knees ever since that hard slide / collision he had earlier this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Which is, frankly, just about what it should be. If they're going to trade him, they ought to hold out for a solid young starting pitcher and a cheap/young position player. Poreda might be useful in such a deal, but frankly, outside of Poreda, we have nothing that should genuinely interest them outside of our big league roster. Broadway might work as the throw in 3rd player, but Poreda + Broadway wouldn't get it done if I were running the O's.

Not really, Danks and Floyd are both worth more than Roberts on their own right now, adding Alexei to a deal with one of them should net you a stud, not Brian Roberts.

Why does Jerry Owens get so much love?

His numbers were terrible last year, his numbers are terrible this year (in AAA) and he will never amount to anything in the big leagues. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

Yeah this team needs speed but guys with only speed who can't get on base at a .350 clip and can't get find a gap every once and a while are worthless.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Right, but we that player in the organization right now, and is in your sig. Given the lack of speed with this club, along with Ozzie love with speed, I don't doubt Owens would be matching the numbers Taveras is putting up right now, which isn't much of an accomplishment.

I know you're trying to say they are similar players because they're both fast OF'ers, but comparing Jerry Owens to Willy Taveras is laughable.

Taveras is 100X the outfielder that Owens is and he has probably just as much speed with better instincts. Taveras can actually play the game while helping you in the field and maybe a couple times on offense, versus Owens who sucks all the time in the outfield and sometimes helps on offense. Willy's downside is a 4th OF; Jerry's upside is a 4th OF.

Offensively, again, just because Taveras is hitting .239/.294 right now doesn't mean Jerry Owens is anywhere near that ballpark as a Major League ballplayer. Taveras in 2005 hit .291/.325, hit .278/.333 in 2006, and hit .320/.367 last year. That's an MLB track record. Owens cannot come close to sniffing that.

If Willy Taveras is available for pennies on the dollar because of a down year combined with the Rockies' sucktitude, Kenny will make a very serious run and he'll probably pick him up. It would be stupid not to; in fact I'd be pissed if we had a GM that was afraid to take a cheap gamble on a young proven player that plays a premium position. Given the fact that the lowest he's ever hit in a full season was .263, and that was going all the way back to his age 18 season in rookie ball, I think it's pretty safe to say Taveras will start hitting again, and when he is hitting, no one will even mention Jerry Owens as a comparable in any fashion.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I know you're trying to say they are similar players because they're both fast OF'ers, but comparing Jerry Owens to Willy Taveras is laughable.

Taveras is 100X the outfielder that Owens is and he has probably just as much speed with better instincts. Taveras can actually play the game while helping you in the field and maybe a couple times on offense, versus Owens who sucks all the time in the outfield and sometimes helps on offense. Willy's downside is a 4th OF; Jerry's upside is a 4th OF.

Offensively, again, just because Taveras is hitting .239/.294 right now doesn't mean Jerry Owens is anywhere near that ballpark as a Major League ballplayer. Taveras in 2005 hit .291/.325, hit .278/.333 in 2006, and hit .320/.367 last year. That's an MLB track record. Owens cannot come close to sniffing that.

If Willy Taveras is available for pennies on the dollar because of a down year combined with the Rockies' sucktitude, Kenny will make a very serious run and he'll probably pick him up. It would be stupid not to; in fact I'd be pissed if we had a GM that was afraid to take a cheap gamble on a young proven player that plays a premium position. Given the fact that the lowest he's ever hit in a full season was .263, and that was going all the way back to his age 18 season in rookie ball, I think it's pretty safe to say Taveras will start hitting again, and when he is hitting, no one will even mention Jerry Owens as a comparable in any fashion.

Great post.

As far as the poll, I voted for Dewayne Wise. Let the other guys stay in the minors and continue to get regular AB's. If Paulie goes to the DL, put Anderson in CF with Swisher moving to 1B. Call up Wise as an emergency OF and pinch runner, nothing more. Let him take Anderson's role only without the starts.

Bringing in a guy with speed or better contact isn't going to do a whole lot for this club. It's still going to be as one dimensional as it has been, and it's going to take a major overhaul to change that.

I think Sox fans need to realize that, even though a lot of the preseason predictions about this team have turned out wrong so far, the one thing that has been said all along and has held true is the fact that this season is a transitional year for the franchise. With Floyd, Danks, Ramirez, Anderson, Swisher, Quentin, Logan, and Jenks the Sox are building a new core right now. Thome might be gone next year, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Sox trade Contreras as well as one of Konerko/Dye due to the emergence of Quentin. I think this offseason is the time to think about changing the complexion of the offense, but right now, nothing really can be done except b**** about Greg Walker, listen to Ozzie's rantings, and hope the offense stays hot for longer than a week once it gets going again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
Fields, Cook, and Eldred are all the same all or nothing plodders that we have a line up full of already. Give me someone who will swing for a basehit with two strikes, or punch the outside pitch the other way, just to change the look of the line up a bit.

Is Cook really a plodder? Have you seen him play--or what are you basing this on? Seems like he had some speed earlier in his career (although not a great SB percentage). Just because he's a power hitter doesn't make him "all or nothing."