White Sox Loser

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I just puked in my mouth.

Javier Vazquez is the White Sox best pitcher, and you want to give him a break. Do you want to give Carlos Quentin a break from the lineup right now and sit him down for a week or two too just because he's struggled a bit?

With what happened in his past 3 starts, is he still the best pitcher we have? Javy and Jose are on dead-arm periods or something.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
I'd love to see us set the rotation like this:

Buehrle

Massett

Contreras

Danks

Floyd

This way, Javy can get a break. He looked really fatigued yesterday for whatever reason- Danks can pitch against the Cubs again and hopefully pitch similarly to what he did Friday, Floyd can pitch the 2nd game- I put him here because I would really like to see him throw against the Cubs and watch them attempt to hit that nasty breaking ball he's got, and then Buehrle can face the Cubs, which is what he's scheduled to do on Sunday anyways.

TBH, giving Masset a spot-start against the Cubs wouldn't be a bad idea.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Not the way it was done. He wasnt throwing strikes at a clip you'd like to see but the Cubs had a couple cheap hits (see Theriot) and the two HRs hit off him were good pitches. Patterson hit a pitch that was probably a ball inside and the pitch to Ramirez was at his shins. Vazquez wasn't good, but he wasnt atrocious either. Sometimes you have to give a litte credit to the hitters as well.

You never throw pitches low and in to lefties, Javy did. You never go away against Ramirez, Javy did. I don't know if he just missed his location or our advanced scouting just sucks. But Javy did not pitch well at all. We were lucky that the Cubs didn't score 5 while he couldn't find his control.

Ya know...Sox lost games 2 and 3 pretty convincingly. One bad inning in game 2 cost us. But losing the 1st game set the whole tone for the series IMO. How in the world can you not adjust to Lilly's floating meatballs on the outer half and not go the other way? THAT'S the biggest disappointment to me in the whole series and again...who does that fall on...**cough**...walker.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Ya know...Sox lost games 2 and 3 pretty convincingly. One bad inning in game 2 cost us. But losing the 1st game set the whole tone for the series IMO. How in the world can you not adjust to Lilly's floating meatballs on the outer half and not go the other way? THAT'S the biggest disappointment to me in the whole series and again...who does that fall on...**cough**...walker.

The Cubs made adjustments mid-game in game-two. There's a reason why Jose got hit harder than he did the previous 3 innings in the 4th. The Cubs hitters made an adjustment. Walker can't get his team to make an adjustment during our weekly cold streaks. He's a failure as a hitting coach. How is he not gone after 2 years of complete failure on offense? I know we're hitting .264 as a team and 3rd in Runs scored in the AL, but as shown in this previous series, the situational hitting is non-existent. Plus, look who we have! With our full-time lineup with the DH, this is one of the best lineups reputation-wise. Despite Thome's .230 batting average, he's still a threat. Despite Swisher hitting .235, he's still has good power. Despite Konerko's .215 BA, he still has a reputation. This lineup is full of powerful hitters with a ego. We should be frightening the other team with our hitters, instead, they go up there and hit like Jason Tyner or Adam Everett. Greg Walker must brainwash them into believing all that is wrong about hitting or something. Because that's whats happening here...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
In what world is Vazquez the White Sox best pitcher? He might be the worst starter on the Sox right now.

In my mind, Vazquez is the best starter the Sox have. He's durable, has fantastic stuff, and he's put up results. He's struggled with his command the past few outings, but he'd start game 1 of a playoff series if I were the manager. That, to me, makes him the best pitcher.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
With what happened in his past 3 starts, is he still the best pitcher we have? Javy and Jose are on dead-arm periods or something.

That's what's hilarious about this site. People are suggesting that pitchers are or aren't the best starter based on 3 starts. Going based on the last year and a half or so, you won't find a better, more durable pitcher than Vazquez on the White Sox staff. He's thrown the most innings and I'd quickly guess has the second best ERA to Buehrle, but it'd be something like a 3.85 ERA for Buehrle and a 3.95 ERA for Vazquez, which is maybe one or two runs.

In my mind, Vazquez is the best starter the Sox have. He's durable, has fantastic stuff, and he's put up results. He's struggled with his command the past few outings, but he'd start game 1 of a playoff series if I were the manager. That, to me, makes him the best pitcher.

That's what's hilarious about this site. People are suggesting that pitchers are or aren't the best starter based on 3 starts. Going based on the last year and a half or so, you won't find a better, more durable pitcher than Vazquez on the White Sox staff. He's thrown the most innings and I'd quickly guess has the second best ERA to Buehrle, but it'd be something like a 3.85 ERA for Buehrle and a 3.95 ERA for Vazquez, which is maybe one or two runs.

God forbid Gavin or Danks get in a funk, this board would light up with TRADE FLOYD/DANKS threads.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)

Javy has shown that when his team is good, he sucks. When his team sucks, he's great. He's not a big-time pitcher. He's got the best stuff on the staff, no doubt, but as for the "best pitcher", that goes to Mark Buehrle. As for the pitcher with the highest ceiling, that's Javier Vazquez.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
God forbid Gavin or Danks get in a funk, this board would light up with TRADE FLOYD/DANKS threads.

Javier Vazquez is 32, Danks and Floyd are in their mid-20s and have shown us their potential. That's a horrible analogy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)

But, whenever the lights are on him, better have a plumber and a surplus of toilet paper. Numbers aren't everything. Javy has no balls.

I'm not saying to "give him some rest" or that he's not the best starter on the team. I'm saying he has no balls and he's not the pitcher I want out there in a must win situation.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
Javier Vazquez is 32, Danks and Floyd are in their mid-20s and have shown us their potential. That's a horrible analogy.

No, it's not, because he's absolutely right. I would end up adding 2-3 posters to my ignore list for a while.

Perhaps the "no balls theory" has some legs to it. He was still pretty damn good in August and September of 2006 when the Sox were competing, but the team was no longer in first place and was climbing up hill.

I'm also Havy's Jomer, so that has something to do with it too.

I'd like to see how the rest of the season plays out. See if he can fix himself or what needs to happen.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
In what world is Vazquez the White Sox best pitcher? He might be the worst starter on the Sox right now.

In the real world. In over-reaction White Sox land, Vazquez isn't the ace though. Hell, even in his worst starts this season he hasn't allowed the game to get out of hand.

If there is one starter who we should trade, it is Contreras for numerous reasons.

Also, I have a question... why does Mark Buehrle get a free pass when indeed he has been our worst starter? I'm not saying he should be traded or anything and he is still the clubs no. 2, but he has, well lets put it, the least.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
Also, I have a question... why does Mark Buehrle get a free pass when indeed he has been our worst starter? I'm not saying he should be traded or anything and he is still the clubs no. 2, but he has, well lets put it, the least.

Cause he's been good for a long ass time. He got off to a rough start but most people figured he'd turn it around like he is right now.

I thought about bringing up Buehrle. Then I actually looked at the numbers.

10 of his 15 starts are quality starts. His walk rate is just above his career norm. His K rate is right at his career norm. His H rate is just above his career norm (and thus, his WHIP is above his career norm). His HR rate, however, is actually better than his career norm. And, oh yeah, the fact that his ERA of 4.28 is .04 points worse than Javy Vazquez's.

The entire rotation has pitched well and saying any of them is the best or worst is a bit hard at this point. I was a bit out of line in saying what I did earlier, but I do personally feel that Vazquez is the best starter the Sox have, so I went right ahead and said it.

A bit more consistency from the offense would be nice though. Getting Jim back in the lineup will help, but that won't be for a couple of days still.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Cause he's been good for a long ass time. He got off to a rough start but most people figured he'd turn it around like he is right now.

And even then he still wasn't getting a free pass - he was getting s*** on like anyone else.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I seem to recall more than a couple posts trying to deter you from posting so often and starting so many thread but I may be mistaken. To your credit you do not let it deter you.

I have not started one thread, so you must be mistaken.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:07 AM)

that ain't the half of it...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65666

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65337

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65607

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65582

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65417

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65336

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65387

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65365

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65313

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65261

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65180

Overall, that's 12 topics and an average of over 32 posts per day since joining on May 31. Those are ROY numbers right there, especially for a mid-season call-up. Most of these are White Sox winner threads, too. I have to respect the enthusiasm.

I guess WSB is more like Rudy rather than Danger Barch. ;)

Well, I know I started those threads- I thought you meant other ones besides game-threads and post-game threads (although, I know I started that Cubs/Sox predictions one as well).

pbr_025Inconceivable.jpg

Give us the gate key.

I have no gate key.

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

Oh you mean this gate key

Edited by the People's Champ