Freddy Garcia

Frankensteiner

This is from the Detroit Free Press:

Garcia will likely throw for scouts between July 20 and 24, according to his agent, Peter Greenberg. By then, Greenberg hopes Garcia will be up to 100% strength.

Garcia is currently working out in Miami and throwing off a mound at about 80% intensity, as he continues rehabilitating from shoulder surgery. Greenberg said in an e-mail that Garcia is throwing only fastballs and changeups now, but that curveballs could be added within the next week.

The late-July timetable is intriguing, since baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline is July 31. Garcia figures to be an option for those teams – such as the Tigers – who would like to upgrade their starting rotation without trading away a top prospect.

Greenberg said “more than a dozen teams” have shown interest. Detroit is one of the most interested parties.

Obviously there's a huge question mark regarding Garcia's health. But I at least hope we attend this workout. I am worried about Floyd and Danks in September. I mean Floyd's already gone well over his career high in ML innings and we're only in July.

In addittion, I would have to question your sanity if you would rather have Vazquez start a playoff game for you than a healthy(ish) Garcia.

I do have my doubts about his health so I'm not going to get excited untill I hear he can consistently throw 91-93 at this workout.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
This is from the Detroit Free Press:

Obviously there's a huge question mark regarding Garcia's health. But I at least hope we attend this workout. I am worried about Floyd and Danks in September. I mean Floyd's already gone well over his career high in ML innings and we're only in July.

In addittion, I would have to question your sanity if you would rather have Vazquez start a playoff game for you than a healthy(ish) Garcia.

I do have my doubts about his health so I'm not going to get excited untill I hear he can consistently throw 91-93 at this workout.

Right back at you. A healthy-ish Garcia? I think not

I think the Sox are interested, but they passed on signing him prior to the try-out. My guess is they are still waiting to see what Esteban can do but at the end of the day they are going to have to get an insurance policy in case one of Floyd/Danks/Contreras wear down (or someone gets hurt). Floyd and Count have both thrown innings so less concern there about not being able to handle the workload and more about them tiring or being less effective as the season goes on. Danks has not thrown a ton of innings in any one season and he'll hit career highs this year so the Sox are going to have to be careful and try to ease his workload as the season goes on (remember how he wore down last year).

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
You read the caveats I put into my message, right? Or was that hard for you?

Oh it was extremely hard with my sanity being questioned. The Sox should definitely consider starting someone who shouldnt even pitch this year over someone who would have gotten us to the playoffs. I totally agree with that.

They should also take a flyer out on Prior, and put him in over Danks

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
I think the Sox are interested, but they passed on signing him prior to the try-out. My guess is they are still waiting to see what Esteban can do but at the end of the day they are going to have to get an insurance policy in case one of Floyd/Danks/Contreras wear down (or someone gets hurt). Floyd and Count have both thrown innings so less concern there about not being able to handle the workload and more about them tiring or being less effective as the season goes on. Danks has not thrown a ton of innings in any one season and he'll hit career highs this year so the Sox are going to have to be careful and try to ease his workload as the season goes on (remember how he wore down last year).

I think Danks wearing down also had to do with the scouting reports getting out on him, and he couldn't fool anybody with his 3 pitches anymore. Now he has 4 and there's a big, big difference in the type of pitcher he is. Was his ERA under 3 at the beginning of July last year? I don't recall him even being close.

Edited by lostfan

The one issue is that if you are Freddy would you rather go to a team like the Yanks/Tigers/Red Sox who could possibly guarantee or semi-guarantee you a spot in the rotation or the Sox. There is the comfort he'd have in Chicago and they can obviously sign him to a deal which includes an option for next year (where they essentially say if he does well they'll consider clearing a spot in the rotation for him) but I'm also guessing Freddy wants to pitch.

I expect Contreras moved this off-season and I dont' think the Sox are going to be replacing him with an in-house candidate, so it could end up being another young guy they trade for, Freddy Garcia, a random FA signing, or Jon Garland (who I think they'll consider resigning depending on what they do).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
I think Danks wearing down also had to do with the scouting reports getting out on him, and he couldn't fool anybody with his 3 pitches anymore. Now he has 4 and there's a big, big difference in the type of pitcher he is. Was his ERA under 3 at the beginning of July last year? I don't recall him even being close.

I think he was about 4.5 at this point. I was happy. Dude was 21.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)

He broke down even earlier last season, but if you look at his minor league inning totals you can see that he hasn't even come close to throwing the amount of innings that it takes to pitch in a complete major league season and the White Sox need to be aware and careful because if you push him too far past his prior year inning totals you take a major chance at ruining a promising arm (and this is statistically proven).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I think he was about 4.5 at this point. I was happy. Dude was 21.

He was about what I expected, and I think 4.5 is fair to expect of a rookie 5th starter, even for one that's a top prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
He broke down even earlier last season, but if you look at his minor league inning totals you can see that he hasn't even come close to throwing the amount of innings that it takes to pitch in a complete major league season and the White Sox need to be aware and careful because if you push him too far past his prior year inning totals you take a major chance at ruining a promising arm (and this is statistically proven).

I agree with all that, but I was just adding on that there was more than one reason his ERA balooned as the year went on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)

This is why I really hope we can have a big lead like we had in 05, if we can give masset or loaiza a spot start in Aug. and Sept. It'd be so beneficial.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)

Which, dispite the howls from some fans, they have been.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Which, dispite the howls from some fans, they have been.

I like the fact that they've kept a close eye on the pitch counts, but at some point its going to become more than that and they will have to either have him skip a start here and there or bring in a sixth starter for a couple times late in the season (its just a reality of one of those things that needs to be done when you have young pitchers).

However, before anyone deems Danks an ace he has to continue to develop his workload as well as improve his command and develop the ability to pitch deeper into ball games (too often the 5th inning rolls around and you have to debate whether he can even come out for the 6th). That said, I love how much he's progressed from his rookie season and I really think he's got a bright future.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Oh it was extremely hard with my sanity being questioned. The Sox should definitely consider starting someone who shouldnt even pitch this year over someone who would have gotten us to the playoffs. I totally agree with that.

They should also take a flyer out on Prior, and put him in over Danks

:unsure:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
The one issue is that if you are Freddy would you rather go to a team like the Yanks/Tigers/Red Sox who could possibly guarantee or semi-guarantee you a spot in the rotation or the Sox. There is the comfort he'd have in Chicago and they can obviously sign him to a deal which includes an option for next year (where they essentially say if he does well they'll consider clearing a spot in the rotation for him) but I'm also guessing Freddy wants to pitch.

I expect Contreras moved this off-season and I dont' think the Sox are going to be replacing him with an in-house candidate, so it could end up being another young guy they trade for, Freddy Garcia, a random FA signing, or Jon Garland (who I think they'll consider resigning depending on what they do).

To me, everything depends on his health. If he can throw low 90s again there's no way he wouldn't win a spot in our rotation. 2004-2005 Garcia is as good or better than anyone on this current staff, especially when you factor in postseason performance. It's highly doubtful he's completely healthy, though.

Anyone know what kind of shoulder surgery he had?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)

Danks's limit this season should be about 160 innings. He's thrown 92.2 in the first half.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Danks's limit this season should be about 160 innings. He's thrown 92.2 in the first half.

do you think in August or so, we can pair up Danks and Masset so Danks will come out at 5.0 and use our lightly-used bullpen?

When it's all said and done us using our bullpen so little is going to be a huge advantage.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)

I am almost positive that if he was really healthy he would tell ozzie and ozzie would know for sure before anyone. After the tampa series ozzie went back home and Garcia was at his house for dinner. i would certianly expect this to come up. The sox will get a shot but only if ozzie has the inside scoop.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
do you think in August or so, we can pair up Danks and Masset so Danks will come out at 5.0 and use our lightly-used bullpen?

When it's all said and done us using our bullpen so little is going to be a huge advantage.

I think there are several possibilities. Either you can just shut Danks down and put him on the DL for a couple weeks just to keep him fresh (Just call it "Tightness"), you can just have him skip a couple starts (This is what Detroit did with Verlander in 06) or you can basically give him September off when the rosters expand and Broadway and Loaiza come back up.

Again, the 160 innings thing is just a rule of thumb, some pitchers are able to add more than 30 innings in a year and survive without injury, but it just seems to be asking for so much trouble (See: Gallardo) that I really hope they don't push him too far beyond that.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
To me, everything depends on his health. If he can throw low 90s again there's no way he wouldn't win a spot in our rotation. 2004-2005 Garcia is as good or better than anyone on this current staff, especially when you factor in postseason performance. It's highly doubtful he's completely healthy, though.

And even if he were completely healthy and throwing in the low '90s again, he hasn't pitched an actual ML game in over a year. He wouldn't be ready until September at the earliest.

That said, the Sox would be foolish to not send a scout down there to watch his workout. Given Freddy's history with the team and his family ties to Ozzie, there's a very slight chance that he could take Loaiza's position down the stretch.

Vazquez has 1 bad month, and people are ready to throw him off the bus.

Buehrle wasn't very good in the 1st 2 months too FWIW, and he's come around very nicely since.

I'm not worried about Javier, he'll pick it up.