The Camo Jerseys Tonight

wilmot825

What do they look like? Are they green and black or balck and white? I heard about it on the radio that the Sox were wearing these Camo jerseys for tonights game. Then they were going to sign and auction them off for charity.

Edited by wilmot825

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
How exactly is it disrespectful to honor our military on the 4th of July.

It seems like wearing the camo should be only a military thing like a badge of honor.Not for some baseball players to go out and were them like they are fighting a war out there,they are just playing a game.BTW Iam not offended by it but I can see how someone might be,

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
It seems like wearing the camo should be only a military thing like a badge of honor.Not for some baseball players to go out and were them like they are fighting a war out there,they are just playing a game.BTW Iam not offended by it but I can see how someone might be,

Not to mention the fact that the 4th of July is not memorial day or veterans day. For some reason this country equates patriotism and the military for every national holiday.

Do not get me wrong. While I personally do not want to serve in the armed forces, I have a high level of respect for anyone who put their lives at risk for something they believe in. However, July 4th is about so much more that military success. The revolution was an inspiration of ideals that had been trounced in the west by feudalism and colonization since the end of the byzantine empire.

The fact that a handful of men were able to create a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men were created equal is what makes July 4th so special. It helped inspire the French revolution and, although the results were not good, the end of czarist Russia, among others.

People standing up for their rights as human beings to rule and be ruled as they decide is the primary reason the 4th ever happened. I fully understand that without military victory in the revolutionary war, this holiday would not be possible. However, the constant cheerleading for our military forces every time we have a national holiday gets tiresome. I wish they would just wear the special hats with the American Flag.

If it offends people they should get over it.

Military people like being recognized. I'm sure they love it. It will be done in good taste, you know that.

Political correctness and the coddling of our youth and putting them all on ridalin (sp) and drugs like that are some of the reasons this world is starting to suck.

p.s. How many of you young people had freedom as kids as we did?

Get up every day in summer age 9-12, gather up friends, ride bikes somewhere to play ball all day with no adult supervision. Maybe go home for lunch. In winter after school gather friends go play basketball or hockey no adult supervision.

Uh nobody was kidnapped. Nobody died. Now coddling, Ridalin, etc.

GO SOX!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Not to mention the fact that the 4th of July is not memorial day or veterans day. For some reason this country equates patriotism and the military for every national holiday.

Do not get me wrong. While I personally do not want to serve in the armed forces, I have a high level of respect for anyone who put their lives at risk for something they believe in. However, July 4th is about so much more that military success. The revolution was an inspiration of ideals that had been trounced in the west by feudalism and colonization since the end of the byzantine empire.

The fact that a handful of men were able to create a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men were created equal is what makes July 4th so special. It helped inspire the French revolution and, although the results were not good, the end of czarist Russia, among others.

People standing up for their rights as human beings to rule and be ruled as they decide is the primary reason the 4th ever happened. I fully understand that without military victory in the revolutionary war, this holiday would not be possible. However, the constant cheerleading for our military forces every time we have a national holiday gets tiresome. I wish they would just wear the special hats with the American Flag.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your comment about the 'constant cheerleading of our military forces' getting tiresome. I think ever opportunity should be taken to recongnize and honor the fine young Americans that step up and volunteer to serve their country with the very distinct possibility that they are putting their very lives on the line. From an individual shaking a soldier's hand, buying him a drink and saying thank you to a small gathering in an airport greeting soldiers returning home with a small standing ovation to various large scale public recognition like today's game, I believe they are all appropriate and well deserved.

However, the constant cheerleading for our military forces every time we have a national holiday gets tiresome

I don't know why you would say that.

Without these guys and women you would not be grilling hotdogs on your patio today, you'd be worshiping some dictator and having one child maximum per family. You wouldn't be rooting for the White Sox, you'd be rooting for the Reds.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't know why you would say that.

Without these guys and women you would not be grilling hotdogs on your patio today, you'd be worshiping some dictator and having one child maximum per family. You wouldn't be rooting for the White Sox, you'd be rooting for the Reds.

I did not know Cincinnati was under a dictatorship. ;-)

I disagree with that notion but it is a popular one. Propaganda is a powerful thing and do not think for one minute our government doesn't use it as much as those red dictators. We package it differently but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I respect our military personnel but I also respect a lot of other people who serve to protect our freedom and democracy who don't wield a gun. It seems they get far more recognition for their service than say Upton Sinclair or Jane Adams, who did quite a bit to protect our individual freedoms within our borders. The military strength of the US is not what makes this country so successful. In fact, when it is misused, which happens far more frequently than we are willing to admit, it helps detract from our strengths.

I apologize for even bringing this up since I know there are strong views on all sides. I just wish we would recognize that the military is not the only reason we do not have a dictatorship. in fact, it is far down the list in my opinion. What makes this holiday special is something far more powerful than the military.

I remember (last year I believe) this discussion on Soxtalk. The consensus was that the uniforms were a good idea because camouflage would make our players difficult to detect on the base paths, thus giving the sox an advantage in stealing bases and taking an extra base. How can you throw out that which you cannot see? Oh Kenny Williams and his get rich quick schemes.