Beijing 2008

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
Have the Olympics lost their appeal? Besides the hoop squad, does anyone have any interest in other events?

My interest is usually focused on the success of the American athletes. My interest seems to pick up as the games progress.

I'll be rooting for the Americans in every event they compete at. I'm a much bigger fan of the winter olympics, but you can bet your ass that come 8/8/08 I'll be watching a lot of the stuff at night (trying my best to keep away from any of the online publications that will post the results because I Don't like watching things when I know who wins/loses).

I lost interest when USA basketball started disappointing us and now no US baseball. I wish we would get more coverage of baseball and softball.

Swimming and gymnastics do nothing for me and some of these events are tainted with steroid use coming out.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
That really should be an olympic sport.

But no, definitely at swimming. You got Phelps and no-one.

Phelps is all we need brother.Its all about the gold.

Edited by shipps

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
They'll be a lot of "magical" Chinese gold medal-winning athletes, I bet.

Somehow, they got a lot better, very quickly, for the glory of the Chinese People's Republic.

Frankly though, home court advantage always helps. And the people who do the testing for the Olympics are as good as anyone out there as far as I can tell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Frankly though, home court advantage always helps. And the people who do the testing for the Olympics are as good as anyone out there as far as I can tell.

Good enough for advanced steroids and HGH?

Most of the newer stuff is nearly undetectable.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Good enough for advanced steroids and HGH?

Most of the newer stuff is nearly undetectable.

Frankly I don't think we know all the stuff they're able to test for and I think that's a good thing. Here's a bit from earlier this year...

LAUSANNE, Switzerland, Feb. 27 (Xinhua) -- World Anti-Doping Agency director general David Howman said on Wednesday that WADA are validating antibody kits for human growth hormone (HGH) tests in the Beijing Olympics in August.

"It (the kit) has been made by a company under the contract in Germany," Howman told reporters at a media briefing in Lausanne, "but is still under the process of validation."

Howman was expecting that the antibody kits would be available for the Beijing laboratory to use in the Olympic Games.

"We are now scientifically validating with kits they've shown to us. If they can be validated, we'll have them manufactured, given to the lab. Then they can do the analysis.

It wouldn't surprise me if the folks at WADA right now are better than we think they are at figuring out that a person is on something whether or not the drug itself is actually detectable. Every drug of that sort screws with some chemical level in the body in certain ways, and if you're careful enough on the testing...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
Frankly I don't think we know all the stuff they're able to test for and I think that's a good thing. Here's a bit from earlier this year...

It wouldn't surprise me if the folks at WADA right now are better than we think they are at figuring out that a person is on something whether or not the drug itself is actually detectable. Every drug of that sort screws with some chemical level in the body in certain ways, and if you're careful enough on the testing...

I'd love to have full confidence in that, but I smell a whiff of an upcoming conspiracy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
I'll be rooting for the Americans in every event they compete at. I'm a much bigger fan of the winter olympics, but you can bet your ass that come 8/8/08 I'll be watching a lot of the stuff at night (trying my best to keep away from any of the online publications that will post the results because I Don't like watching things when I know who wins/loses).

that.

pretty much word for word.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
I think so. The guy's just a freak. Doing some medley's and all of the relays.

He'll be fun to watch to see how many golds he gets anyways.

He's also really good at Driving While Intoxicated.

I am a Canadian so I will be rooting the Canadians who are at the Olympics on of course but I fear for a really bad showing (even for our standards) Olympics for Canada this time around. Probably 7-9 medals, only 2-3 gold.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
What is he doing,about 8 or 9 right?

He is doing 8 events. 200 free, 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 fly, 4 x 100 free relay, 4 x 200 free relay, 4 x 100 medley relay. He is the favorite to win all 8 and win 8 golds. I hope he does it since even though I am not an American and dont know much about his personality, it is exciting to see dominance at that level and he is so worthy of such a record. He is so versatile he had to drop some events a the U.S trials he would have been a contender to make the team and even win, but were just less probable/certain then these 8. Some he pulled out of at trials at the last minute were 200 back, 100 back, 100 free, 400 free, with the 400 free the only one he probably wasnt a factor in.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
They'll be a lot of "magical" Chinese gold medal-winning athletes, I bet.

Somehow, they got a lot better, very quickly, for the glory of the Chinese People's Republic.

Yes China will definitely win both the gold medal and overall medal tally for the first time IMO, and I predict they will have some "interesting" winners in various sports, mainly racing sports of course.

One month before the Olympics, the dirtiest air in China is in Beijing

Despite advertised measures to decrease pollution, as the one-month countdown to the Beijing Olympics approaches, the government's numbers rank Beijing as having the dirtiest air in China.

With a rating of 98, officially a "blue sky day" but only by two points, Beijing yesterday had the dirtiest air among monitored cities according to the Chinese government Web site that releases daily pollution figures.

Only four other cities, including the capitals of Sichuan, Qinghai, and Liaoning Provinces, ranked above 90 on the scale.

This does not mean that the air will not get cleaner this month. Large numbers of personal vehicles, as well as cargo trucks that do not have Beijing license plates, will be taken off the roads in efforts to reduce car pollution. Additionally, the hyperactive construction with huge numbers of buildings scheduled for completion or undergoing rushed renovation before the Games will stop completely late this month when a citywide construction freeze goes into effect.

The government is planning drastic measures. I hope for the sake of the athletes, visitors, and Beijing residents that they have clear, clean skies. But let's not kid ourselves: the pollution problem in Beijing is not going to go away any time soon. Cleaning up for two weeks may be a nice show, but the city really needs drastic measures. My favorite option: even bigger car taxes than exist now, and get that subway going.