Harden to Cubs

G&T

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm starting to wonder how Beane keeps his job.

They are 3.5 games out of the wild card despite completely over-hauling the roster (ie, moving Haren & Swisher). I don't think anyone in baseball would have expected that so he's done a pretty good job getting talent for his above average players who are due to get larger contracts. And this is coming from someone who has always made the statement that Beane is wildly over-rated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
They are 3.5 games out of the wild card despite completely over-hauling the roster (ie, moving Haren & Swisher). I don't think anyone in baseball would have expected that so he's done a pretty good job getting talent for his above average players who are due to get larger contracts. And this is coming from someone who has always made the statement that Beane is wildly over-rated.

This is why I can't understand why they would trade Harden. They have one of the best staffs in baseball and trade their top starter for a bunch of guys who can't play in the NL at the major league level. I know Gallagher had a couple of good starts, but still.

A completely odd trade coming from Oakland. Why throw Gaudin in there? He was a serviceable spot starter and reliever. Oakland got fleeced. A very odd move when you are only 3.5 out of the WC before the All-Star break. What was the hurry with 23 days left to move Harden? I would be pissed if I was an A's fan. You give up your #1 starter and a solid reliever for a pitcher who projects to be a #3 at best, a 4th Outfielder, a utility player, and a minor league catcher? Looking at the Swisher and Haren deals, this one is completely brutal.

Edited by RME JICO

Hell, Even with the injury issues I would have traded Contreras and Egbert/Broadway for Harden and Gaudin in an instant. That would have been a better deal for the A's and they could still contend with Contreras in their rotation. I was pining for a Contreras-Harden swap during the offseason, and it would have made sense for both teams at the time. Harden was hurt and had not pitched 100 innings in two years, and Contreras had sucked, but at least the A's could pencil him into the rotation and Jose's stuff, though it had dropped off a bit, was still pretty good.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
Hell, Even with the injury issues I would have traded Contreras and Egbert/Broadway for Harden and Gaudin in an instant. That would have been a better deal for the A's and they could still contend with Contreras in their rotation. I was pining for a Contreras-Harden swap during the offseason, and it would have made sense for both teams at the time. Harden was hurt and had not pitched 100 innings in two years, and Contreras had sucked, but at least the A's could pencil him into the rotation and Jose's stuff, though it had dropped off a bit, was still pretty good.

why the hell would the As want contreras? he's the opposite of a billy beane player....over priced and old

You've got to think Beane was thinking that he had to get something for Harden while he could before he got hurt again and can't move him for a bag of balls. It just might be that it's coming soon given the erratic performance his last two starts and constant reports that his velocity is down of late. He did the same thing moving Mulder a year before he had to, and that turned out pretty well. I just can't see Beane doing this if he had ANY confidence in Harden staying healthy even up until the deadline. The Cubs basically got Mark Prior 2.0.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
If he's actually healthy, they might win 100 games.

BTW I meant to put NL not majors, my bad. I can definitely see them losing to a bunch of AL teams but if Harden's healthy, that's your NL rep right there imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:04 AM)
BTW I meant to put NL not majors, my bad. I can definitely see them losing to a bunch of AL teams but if Harden's healthy, that's your NL rep right there imo.

I put the majors...you had the NL in there.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
BTW- does anybody else get annoyed when GMs and media call him Sa-Baith-e-a? Baith? Try Bath, dopes.

The correct pronunciation, according to the man himself, is Sa BAITH e a.

I don't think I am, but I really think Harden is the "throw-in," if you will, in this deal. Gaudin will stay healthy and become a middle of the rotation starter for the Cubs while Harden is a huge wildcard in the entire deal; if he's healthy for 80 more innings this season, it's a steal for the Cubs, but if he breaks down and makes 3 more starts all season - and with the Cubs history with injury prone starters, I think that's the more likely route - it's a great deal for Oakland.

I'm sure Beane figures Harden is due for one or two more starts and then he's DL bound again and only god knows when he'll start again, and going to the Cubs will only hurt him further. I'd say go ahead and pencil Harden in as the next talented Cubs pitcher to have his career as a starter ruined due to injury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 12:17 AM)
I don't think I am, but I really think Harden is the "throw-in," if you will, in this deal. Gaudin will stay healthy and become a middle of the rotation starter for the Cubs while Harden is a huge wildcard in the entire deal; if he's healthy for 80 more innings this season, it's a steal for the Cubs, but if he breaks down and makes 3 more starts all season - and with the Cubs history with injury prone starters, I think that's the more likely route - it's a great deal for Oakland.

I'm sure Beane figures Harden is due for one or two more starts and then he's DL bound again and only god knows when he'll start again, and going to the Cubs will only hurt him further. I'd say go ahead and pencil Harden in as the next talented Cubs pitcher to have his career as a starter ruined due to injury.

You don't think you're the throw-in?

I think the cubs are going to make Harden a bullpen arm and Gaudin is the starter they were looking for.

Wood is due to break down and Marmol has scuffled recently.

Harden will get hurt it is if but when. This to me is a knee jerk reaction to the CC deal to get he media back on the cub bandwagon. Gallahger could be a Dempster type in a year or two. Remember the Pierre deal as pointed out in an other thread. If Mitre doesn't get hurt that would be an epic disaster of a trade at this point in time.

This will end up like the Nomar deal with Gaudin being the Matt Murton and Harden playing the role of DL member.

This has to be considered a good trade by the cubs the only thing they lose is a bit of depth but with their payroll they can sign whoever they want in the offseason to replace Gallagher. Murton/Patterson were never going to be full time guys.

Why the A's would include Gaudin, that just doesn't make sense, they could have moved him into Harden's spot in the rotation and put gallagher in their BP. So the Cubs get 1.5 years of two pretty decent pitchers for a couple of guys taking up their final roster spots. The only spots you would want to improve the Cubs really is a solid #2 pitcher and bullpen depth and they accomplished both while not giving up anything on the current roster.

That being said the Cubs are very injury prone (Sori, Edmonds, A. Ram, Zambrano (usually minor injuries), Harden) and their depth is a bit less now but I think it is definitely worth it and a good trade for them. I see the Cubs placing Marshall over Marquis by the end of the year.