The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

ah, so they are for the type that doesn't cover anyone new, doesn't control costs, and lets the insurance companies move to the state of lowest regulations and go wild? Brilliant.

Also, have your taxes gone up 100% the last ten years? Are they projected to go up more than 100% in the next ten and twenty? Hmmm...no? Huh. Interesting. Guess you would be saving more money this way then.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxy @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Interesting article about why people vote against issues that would, probably, benefit them (courtesy of the BBC).

lol, hilarious. The answer: the right is full of stupid hillbillies that are guided by god, not reason. I forgot that the whole healthcare debate was about one single issue - whether we should all be given access to affordable healthcare. Good thing such a plan has ZERO costs/consequences associated with it. GMAB.

"There is nothing voters hate more than having things explained to them as though they were idiots."

Ironic...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Anyone have any luck finding comprehensive endorsements for the Illinois primaries tomorrow? I found this list of progressive endorsements from Citizen Action.

I looked at the Trib's endorsements across the board, and have read articles on specific candidates here and there.

By the way, I don't think he can win, but I like McKenna for the GOP governor's nomination. Certainly better than I like Hynes or Quinn.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
Unrelated: but those missionaries that tried to take those Haitian children make me really upset. Throw the book at them.

I read an article recently about a lot of people having the best of intentions, but actually doing more harm than good - they go to Haiti unprepared without supplies, and end up having to use people's time and supplies that is meant for the Haitians. People just up and go, and then get there and say, OK, what can I do? Not helpful.

But in this case, looks like they don't even fall into that category - looks like they were over the line and blatantly ignoring the law.

Unrelated: but those missionaries that tried to take those Haitian children make me really upset. Throw the book at them.

That is a really irritating situation, for sure. It's a bad thing when people do this in the name of religion.

And it gives ammo to the people who think we are there to take over the country. Put them under the prison for taking advantage of that situation.

Three years ago, Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) was pretty clear about his stand on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

A former war hero, McCain said he would support ending the ban once the military's top brass told him they were okay with it.

"The day that the leadership of the military comes to me and says, 'Senator, we ought to change the policy,' then I think we ought to consider seriously changing it because those leaders in the military are the ones we give the responsibility to," McCain told an audience of college students during the "Hardball" college tour on MSNBC.

That day arrived Tuesday, with Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen testifying to senators following President Obama's announcement that he would seek a congressional repeal of the controversial 15-year-old policy.

Mullen called repealing the policy, which bans openly gay men and lesbians from serving, "the right thing to do" and said he was personally troubled by effectively forcing service members to "lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens."

Gates told the Armed Services Committee, "I fully support the president's decision.

"The question before us is not whether the military prepares to make this change, but how we best prepare for it. We have received our orders from the commander in chief, and we are moving out accordingly," Gates said.

In response, the Arizona senator declared himself "disappointed" in the testimony by Mullen and Gates. The senator said Gates should be asking whether to repeal the ban, not acting as if it had already been repealed.

"At this moment of immense hardship for our armed services, we should not be seeking to overturn the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy," McCain said bluntly, before describing it as "imperfect but effective."

Sigh

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
Of course he opposes it. Obama presented it, ergo it is evil incarnate.

That and JD Hayworth is gonna run against McCain. Hayworth is far far right. So he would use something like that against McCain.

Fox News Shuns Obama Democrat Q&A

President Obama this morning took his 2010 Question-And-Answer Tour to the Senate Democratic Caucus, a few days after his foray to the House GOP Retreat in Baltimore turned into must-see TV.

Last time, Fox News was criticized for cutting away from the Q&A early, presumably because it was inadvertently televising one of those rare occurrences where the president was just straight up kicking the ass of his political opponents. Or, as Jon Stewart quipped, "We're going to cut away because this is against the narrative we present."

Well, score one for consistency, I guess? Because today, while Obama was meeting with Democrats, CNN carried the session live, MSNBC carried the session live (breaking away for a few minutes to comment on Obama's call for Democrats to stop watching the cable news, more on that later), and Fox...well they tended to other matters:

original.jpg

Those screenshots were grabbed pretty early on in the session. I checked a bit later on to see if Fox jumped back onto the story. Uhm, no. When I looked, their chyron read: "Book Reveals Cat's Ability To Predict Death." So, health care policy, I guess?

What a maverick.

The reason why I supported the policy to start with is because General Colin Powell, who was then the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is the one that strongly recommended we adopt this policy in the Clinton administration. I have not heard General Powell or any of the other military leaders reverse their position," - McCain, yesterday.

“In the almost 17 years since the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ legislation was passed, attitudes and circumstances have changed. I fully support the new approach presented to the Senate Armed Services Committee this week by Secretary of Defense Gates and Admiral Mullen," Colin Powell, today.

LINK