The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
my paper keeps having these discussions about the online comments continually being derided by racist and ignorant comments. I just tell them that if they don't want hate-filled, childish, racist commentary in their comment section, they shouldn't have a comment section. The only times it works are in niche sites, usually involved in the technical aspects of something rather than general politics, fueled by emotion.

Comments at the end of articles are just painful to read. I really don't know what purpose they serve.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
How do you have time to read when you have all that cooking and cleaning to do?

:P

I know you're kidding but sometimes I wonder about your sense of humor.

By the way, I think this is the only time I have said this in my life, but I agree with Jimmy Carter re: this article. Wow. (Goes and slaps himself... :lol:). Now I'm going to go get myself electrocuted. (Seriously. :lol:)

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
I know you're kidding but sometimes I wonder about your sense of humor.

By the way, I think this is the only time I have said this in my life, but I agree with Jimmy Carter re: this article. Wow. (Goes and slaps himself... :lol: ). Now I'm going to go get myself electrocuted. (Seriously. :lol: )

I've learned to like Jimmy Carter. If it wasn't for Jimmy Carter, there wouldn't have been Ronald Reagan, or at least not the Ronald Reagon as in iconic figure for the GOP, pure awesomeness, etc...

Also, I thought my joke was a good one. Or at least it was funny when I thought it in my head...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Those 20,000+ Pro-Western Iranians say h....... oops. Jimmy kinda dropped the ball on that one.

What?

Yes the hostage crisis was handled badly esp. when the operation failed but dropping the ball in Iran goes all the way back to Eisenhower.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
What?

Yes the hostage crisis was handled badly esp. when the operation failed but dropping the ball in Iran goes all the way back to Eisenhower.

I'm talking about when Jimmy screwed over our greatest Ally in the middle-east and muslim world the Shah because they "violated human rights." Funny thing is because of that, Ayatolla Khoemeini got in power, and executed pro-western iranians, put women back in servitude, etc. Good work there Jimmy!

Not to mention he is an anti-semitic...

But he now supports women's rights!!! Except if they so happen to be living in a muslim country.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
I'm talking about when Jimmy screwed over our greatest Ally in the middle-east and muslim world the Shah because they "violated human rights." Funny thing is because of that, Ayatolla Khoemeini got in power, and executed pro-western iranians, put women back in servitude, etc. Good work there Jimmy!

But he now supports women's rights!!! Except if they so happen to be living in a muslim country.

So the Shah's downfall was that the U.S. didn't stand behind him enough, not the fact that he was an incredibly corrupt dictator who's country was falling apart underneath him?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)

lol, this is the equivalent of Juan Uribe wildly flailing at a strike 3 that sails over his head and missing it by a foot and a half. I'm not sure exactly where you got that crazy version of events but here is the abridged version of the sequence that actually happened:

Post-WWII Iran is a Western ally and former British colonial interest, private British oil companies are in Iran making tons of profits off Iranian oil. Iran at this time is a pro-Western democracy and US ally although it's close to the Soviet Union. Iranians elect Mossadegh, who decides to nationalize Iranian oil to keep the money for Iran. Brits get pissed off because they stand to lose a lot of money, and try to convince Truman that Mossadegh is a secret Communist (even though reality is Mossadegh hates Communists, just doesn't want imperial influence in his country). Truman doesn't buy it, but doesn't seek re-election and Eisenhower takes over. Brits eventually convince Eisenhower that there is a threat of a Communist takeover in Iran (there's not but Eisenhower doesn't know any better at this point) and in 1953 the US and UK organize a coup to put the shah in power. Now at this point the Shah is basically Saddam, and the human rights abuses happen because of us (remember, it was a Western-style democracy with a strong pro-US population) to keep him in control, and naturally the support for the US begins to fade.

So in 1979 Carter convinces the shah to stop beating and torturing and executing people, and when he loosens his already shaky grip his government comes crumbling down. Carter didn't cause it though, it was already happening and to blame him for what happened is crazy talk.

The straw that broke the camel's back is when Carter allowed the shah into the US to get treatment because he was dying of cancer. This really, really pisses the Iranians off and led to the embassy takeover. Carter's response to it was bungled, they attempted a rescue mission that failed and was a big embarrassment. The hostage crisis is what did Carter in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
So the Shah's downfall was that the U.S. didn't stand behind him enough, not the fact that he was an incredibly corrupt dictator who's country was falling apart underneath him?

Nevermind that we are the ones who put him in power and they were already our allies before that. Money talks.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Ok, I will. It would be "misinterpreted" and blown off as the equivalent of a "gaffe".

Yeah? Kind of like this, right?

I just find it lol-worthy because you'd think Steele would know better. You have most Republicans trying to back off any perception of racist nonsense and about every couple of months or so you hear someone saying something dumb making them all look bad, or doing something dumb (racist e-mail in TN where she apologized not for sending it but for sending it to the wrong people). Then you have Steele saying something that is awfully close to sounding like an ethnic stereotype as the head of the GOP. Facepalm.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Yeah? Kind of like this, right?

I just find it lol-worthy because you'd think Steele would know better. You have most Republicans trying to back off any perception of racist nonsense and about every couple of months or so you hear someone saying something dumb making them all look bad, or doing something dumb (racist e-mail in TN where she apologized not for sending it but for sending it to the wrong people). Then you have Steele saying something that is awfully close to sounding like an ethnic stereotype as the head of the GOP. Facepalm.

Michael Steele is a f***ing dope. But, it doesn't matter one iota.

I was commenting on AHB's point, and it would absolutely be less of an issue if a Democrat (or affiliation) said something racist. Witness this week's SCOTUS circus.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)

I was commenting on AHB's point, and it would absolutely be less of an issue if a Democrat (or affiliation) said something racist. Witness this week's SCOTUS circus.

Nobody's made an issue out of Sotomayor's "wise Latina" comment? Nobody?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)

Are you talking about the incident when Jeff Sessions asked Sotomayor why she didn't vote with her fellow Puerto Rican on a court case?