The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Dem Congressman Offering Resolution Recognizing Hawaii's History -- As Obama's Birthplace

Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) is set to give the House Republicans a chance to put up or shut up on the Birtherism that is circulating among their grassroots base, Greg Sargent reports: A House resolution recognizing Hawaii as President Obama's birthplace.

Technically, the resolution's main purpose will be to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Hawaii's statehood. And while commemorating that grand history, the resolution will of course mention how the state is Obama's birthplace.

This gives Republicans a choice: Vote yes on the resolution, which would repudiate the Birthers; vote no, to endorse them; or skip the vote, which would basically be the same as voting no.

Abercrombie spokesman Dave Helfert seemed to be humorously denying that this was an effort to put the GOP on the spot. "Far be it from us to try to stir things up," said Helfert. "The president was born there, so what are you gonna do? Not mention it?"

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

Wackjob Michele Bachmann Blocks Resolution Proclaiming Hawaii Obama's Birthplace

Just as the presiding chair of the House, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), was about to declare the resolution passed by voice vote, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) stood and objected:

BACHMANN: Mr. Speaker? I object to the vote on the grounds that a quorum is not present and make a point of order that a quorum is not present. [...]

REP. ELIJAH CUMMINGS (D-MD): Further procedings on this motion will be postponed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)

Obama waded into this issue when he had no real knowledge of it, which makes it ironic that he was the one accusing the police of acting "stupidly".

They may have, BTW. I don't know. Most indications I have seen, including the reactions by Gates after the fact, lead me to believe it was him being stupid, not the cops. But I can't say for sure, it very well could be both sides, and I sure as heck wouldn't make a public statement like that if I was a public official.

Gates was acting like a dickhead and honestly kind of created that situation. It seems to me that the cop failed to exercise common sense though. Taking him in for disorderly conduct wasn't necessarily "wrong" but it didn't lead down any productive path. He should've just been professional and let Gates be a dickhead and get it out of his system instead of trying to "teach him a lesson" or whatever he thought he was doing.

Obama should've punted that question or gave a standard political answer (there is a reason those exist). He's someone you think would know better.

Edited by lostfan

did you guys read the link?

edit: k, so the officer said that he was told two black men with back packs had broken into a house.

The transcript of the 911 call came out. Not only did the women say they very well could be the owners of that house, not only did she not say backpacks, but briefcases, but in fact, she never said they were black, one may have been hispanic.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Gates was acting like a dickhead and honestly kind of created that situation. It seems to me that the cop failed to exercise common sense though. Taking him in for disorderly conduct wasn't necessarily "wrong" but it didn't lead down any productive path. He should've just been professional and let Gates be a dickhead and get it out of his system instead of trying to "teach him a lesson" or whatever he thought he was doing.

Obama should've punted that question or gave a standard political answer (there is a reason those exist). He's someone you think would know better.

That is pretty much how I saw things. If either of the two gets off of their high horse for a minute and tries to understand the other person, this never happens.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
did you guys read the link?

No I can't at work, for some reason my browser doesn't load Sullivan's site. I have to wait until I get home. I only commented just now because I don't think there's been any discussion on it in here so far and I was following what NSS said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
That is pretty much how I saw things. If either of the two gets off of their high horse for a minute and tries to understand the other person, this never happens.

Which is exactly where some of us think the racial component winds up coming in to this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Which is exactly where some of us think the racial component winds up coming in to this.

Unless there are obvious racial overtones (the cop yelling "hey N***** get out of that window") I don't assume the worst possible motives. There is nothing to suggest if the prof had been white and berating the cop, that they cop wouldn't have hauled him in either. The most obvious answer isn't that the cop is a racist, it is that the cop has no patience for people who don't "respect" him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)

I don't actually think this was a case of racial profiling at all. Gates lost his keys and was trying to force his door open, one of his neighbors thought it looked like a burglary. Crowley responded and Gates said "WTF, this is my house" and wouldn't show ID at first. Crowley can't exactly accept that at face value. However, once Gates was identified as legit, Crowley should've dropped it, but Gates was pissed off and wouldn't let it go. So Crowley took him in for disorderly conduct. Wrong answer.

stealing quote, etc.

BACKGROUND: THE OFFICER SAID THE DISPATCH CALLER SAID TWO BLACK MEN WITH BACK PACKS SEEN BREAKING INTO HOME.

" 911 OPERATOR: 9-1-1, what is the exact location of your emergency?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Hi, I'm actually at (inaudible) street in Cambridge, the house number is 7 Ware Street.

911 OPERATOR: OK ma'am, your cell phone cut out, what's the address again?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Sorry, it's 7 Ware Street. That's W-A-R-E Street.

911 OPERATOR: The emergency is at 7 Ware Street, right?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Well no, I'm sorry. 17. Some other woman is talking next to me but it's 17, 1-7 Ware Street.

911 OPERATOR: What's the phone number you're calling me from?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: I'm calling you from my cell phone number.

911 OPERATOR: All right, tell me exactly what happened?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Um, I don't know what's happening. I just had an older woman standing here and she had noticed two gentlemen trying to get in a house at that number, 17 Ware Street. And they kind of had to barge in and they broke the screen door and they finally got in. When I had looked, I went further, closer to the house a little bit after the gentlemen were already in the house. I noticed two suitcases. So, I'm not sure if this is two individuals who actually work there, I mean, who live there.

911 OPERATOR: You think they might have been breaking in?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: I don't know 'cause I have no idea. I just noticed.

911 OPERATOR: So you're saying you think the possibility might have been there? What do you mean by barged in? You mean they kicked the door in?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: No, they were pushing the door in. Like, umm, the screen part of the front door was kind of like cut.

911 OPERATOR: How did they open the door itself with the lock?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: They, I didn't see a key or anything 'cause I was a little bit away from the door. But I did notice that they pushed their (interrupted).

911 OPERATOR: And what do the suitcases have to do with anything?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: I don't know, I'm just saying that's what I saw.

911 OPERATOR: Do you know what apartment they broke into?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: No, they're just they first floor. I don't even think that it's an apartment. It's 17 Ware Street. It's a house, it's a yellow house. Number 17. I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key but I did notice that they kind of used their shoulder to kind of barge in and they got in. I don't know if they had a key or not because I couldn't see from my angle. But, you know, when I looked a little closely that's what I saw.

911 OPERATOR: (inaudible) guy or Hispanic?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Umm.

911 OPERATOR: Are they still in the house?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: They're still in the house, I believe, yeah.

911 OPERATOR: Were they white, black or Hispanic?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Umm, well there were two larger men, one looked kind of Hispanic but I'm not really sure. And the other one entered and I didn't see what he looked like at all. I just saw it from a distance and this older woman was worried thinking someone's breaking in someone's house, they've been barging in. And she interrupted me and that's when I had noticed otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all, to be honest with you. So, I was just calling 'cause she was a concerned neighbor, I guess.

911 OPERATOR: OK, are you standing outside?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: I'm standing outside, yes.

911 OPERATOR: All right, the police are on the way, you can meet them then they get there. What's your name?

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Yeah, my name is (deleted).

911 OPERATOR: All right, we're on the way.

FEMALE WITNESS CALLER: Ok. All right, I guess I'll wait. Thanks."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't actually think this was a case of racial profiling at all. Gates lost his keys and was trying to force his door open, one of his neighbors thought it looked like a burglary. Crowley responded and Gates said "WTF, this is my house" and wouldn't show ID at first. Crowley can't exactly accept that at face value. However, once Gates was identified as legit, Crowley should've dropped it, but Gates was pissed off and wouldn't let it go. So Crowley took him in for disorderly conduct. Wrong answer.

That's pretty much my interperetation as well. Gates acted stupidly for not showing ID, for claiming racism, and for trying to continue the confrontation (never a good idea with pretty much any cop). The cop was too impatient and should have been man enough to walk away anyway. The idea that this situation boils down to "the police acted stupidly" is in itself stupid.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
That's pretty much my interperetation as well. Gates acted stupidly for not showing ID, for claiming racism, and for trying to continue the confrontation (never a good idea with pretty much any cop). The cop was too impatient and should have been man enough to walk away anyway. The idea that this situation boils down to "the police acted stupidly" is in itself stupid.

one thing though, what's worse. Being rude to a cop coming into your home and claiming you broke in, even being disrespectful and crude...

or arresting someone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
one thing though, what's worse. Being rude to a cop coming into your home and claiming you broke in, even being disrespectful and crude...

or arresting someone.

The former.

And your description doesn't match what I've read. The cops didn't claim he broke in, the cops were CALLED by someone thinking they were breaking in, and asked for ID, which he has to do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
The former.

And your description doesn't match what I've read. The cops didn't claim he broke in, the cops were CALLED by someone thinking they were breaking in, and asked for ID, which he has to do.

And the cop was presented with ID. And arrested the guy anyway. That's sort of the point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
And the cop was presented with ID. And arrested the guy anyway. That's sort of the point.

That is not what happened, from everything they both have said. Cop asked for ID, person refuses at first, then gives ID. Cop checks out ID and story, decides to leave. Person decides to follow the cop out and make a bigger issue of it. Cop arrests guy. Charges dropped later, for such a penne-ante matter, as makes sense.

This by the way is a pretty typical police encounter. Happens all the time in a similar way. Both sides could have acted more maturely, to be sure.