• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
one thing though, what's worse. Being rude to a cop coming into your home and claiming you broke in, even being disrespectful and crude...

or arresting someone.

Yes and that was stupid, although not necessarily "wrong," on Crowley's part. But still Obama shouldn't have weighed in with that question at the end of his healthcare press conference.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
The cop's story doesn't match reality unless the 911 operator lied to him.

They also reported on CNN yesterday that the cop called the caller to 911 back while going to the call to get more information, and that is when the race of Gates was clarified.

You don't find the discrepancy interesting? The cop defends himself by saying that he was called about two black men with back packs on a possible break-in.

Yet the phone call mentions nothing of black, nothing of backpacks, in fact it says briefcases (this isn't the thomas crown affair), and states that it could be their house and they were just concerned neighbors in case something came up.

Now, I'm not an old black professor who has studied race relations and has probably come across profiling in my life, I'm in pretty good shape being an educated white male with impeccable looks. And for the most part I'm more than polite and submissive to cops. But there have been a few times where I've become extremely frustrated and snippy when continuing to get berated when clearly nothing had been wrong, had given them proof of age, and that nothing was being done wrong, and still they persisted, claiming they had right to check my vehicle, which they didn't. And when I did not give them permission they threatened.

now from my personal experience I can see getting really frustrated if a cop were to come in my house late at night claiming I'm a burger burglar after a trip when it is my house. And then further when proven that the house is my own. Because the fact is the officer holds a lot more power than I do. And this officer arresting someone for getting his feelings hurt after doing nothing wrong and really nothing to even provoking an officer really makes me question. At first when I heard that the officer was called on two black males breaking in, I thought it was just a question of things heating up and the officer going too far. BUt now that I know the nature of the phone call, it really makes me wonder.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Seems to match to me - what am I missing here?

911 operator asked what race the people she saw were and the caller said she couldn't really tell. Crowley said he was told 2 black men were breaking into the house. The caller never said anything about black men so it's unclear where he got that from.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
They also reported on CNN yesterday that the cop called the caller to 911 back while going to the call to get more information, and that is when the race of Gates was clarified.

That makes it completely different then.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Yes and that was stupid, although not necessarily "wrong," on Crowley's part. But still Obama shouldn't have weighed in with that question at the end of his healthcare press conference.

He really shouldn't weigh in on anything off-topic, nowadays, because the media is hoping to find anything to avoid talking about healthcare. But I reject the notion that an officer cannot be criticized without the claim that all officers are being criticized. Some people make poor choices and deserve to get called on it, especially if they are in power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
You don't find the discrepancy interesting? The cop defends himself by saying that he was called about two black men with back packs on a possible break-in.

Yet the phone call mentions nothing of black, nothing of backpacks, in fact it says briefcases (this isn't the thomas crown affair), and states that it could be their house and they were just concerned neighbors in case something came up.

Now, I'm not an old black professor who has studied race relations and has probably come across profiling in my life, I'm in pretty good shape being an educated white male with impeccable looks. And for the most part I'm more than polite and submissive to cops. But there have been a few times where I've become extremely frustrated and snippy when continuing to get berated when clearly nothing had been wrong, had given them proof of age, and that nothing was being done wrong, and still they persisted, claiming they had right to check my vehicle, which they didn't. And when I did not give them permission they threatened.

now from my personal experience I can see getting really frustrated if a cop were to come in my house late at night claiming I'm a burger after a trip when it is my house. And then further when proven that the house is my own. Because the fact is the officer holds a lot more power than I do. And this officer arresting someone for getting his feelings hurt after doing nothing wrong and really nothing to even provoking an officer really makes me question. At first when I heard that the officer was called on two black males breaking in, I thought it was just a question of things heating up and the officer going too far. BUt now that I know the nature of the phone call, it really makes me wonder.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
911 operator asked what race the people she saw were and the caller said she couldn't really tell. Crowley said he was told 2 black men were breaking into the house. The caller never said anything about black men so it's unclear where he got that from.

I was watching CNN yesterday when the played the tape. About 10 minutes after that they reported that the cop contacted the caller to 911 for further clarification and that was when she said the person "breaking in" was black.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
He really shouldn't weigh in on anything off-topic, nowadays, because the media is hoping to find anything to avoid talking about healthcare. But I reject the notion that an officer cannot be criticized without the claim that all officers are being criticized. Some people make poor choices and deserve to get called on it, especially if they are in power.

I'm not saying Crowley shouldn't be criticized, not at all. Just that after knowing more about it, I really don't think race was much of a factor here and Gates is up on his high horse making himself look kind of like a fool. And you've seen me posting about politics enough to know that I'm not usually one to gloss over racial issues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I was watching CNN yesterday when the played the tape. About 10 minutes after that they reported that the cop contacted the caller to 911 for further clarification and that was when she said the person "breaking in" was black.

Yeah, I was writing that when you made your last post.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
And the cop was presented with ID. And arrested the guy anyway. That's sort of the point.

I thought I heard on one station that his ID did not match that address, 17Ware St. Anyone else hear that?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Yeah, I was writing that when you made your last post.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
samesies. Apologies.

Its cool, that is why I reposted it. Sometimes you miss posts while posting.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
That does change the discrepancy. I wonder if there's a transcript of that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/28/us/28gat...wley&st=cse

Not to keep bringing this up, but the woman claims she never said that, still. And the records of the dispatcher show she told crowley she didn't know what race, one possibly hispanic. When Crowley arrived on the scene, the woman merely told him it was her who called.

I can't find CNN's clip yet or anything other than what Crowley said, but I'll keep looking.

GOP Heads Finally Concede... the Muslim Terrorist President was indeed born in Hawaii and is a US Citizen:

• Last night on his TV show, Bill O'Reilly comprehensively debunked the Birthers: O'Reilly said to a letter-writer who declared himself not convinced that Obama is an American: "That is because you don't want to be convinced, Larry." That's as good a summary of the Birthers' motivations as any other.
  • Even Ann Coulter, who normally can't resist the opportunity to attack Democrats as evil and un-American, calls the Birthers "cranks."
  • Greg Sargent asked RNC chairman Michael Steele's office about his views of Birtherism -- and they unambiguously shot it down:

"Chairman
    S
    teele believe
    s
    that thi
    s
    i
    s
    an unnece
    s
    s
    ary di
    s
    traction and believe
    s
    that the pre
    s
    ident i
    s
    a U.
    S
    . citizen. Chairman
    S
    teele want
    s
    to move beyond thi
    s
    conver
    s
    ation and continue di
    s
    cu
    s
    s
    ing the real and immediate concern
    s
    that face American familie
    s
    li
    k
    e the economy and health care. American
    s
    are concerned with Pre
    s
    ident Obama'
    s
    health care plan, a failed
    s
    timulu
    s
    pac
    k
    age and a ballooning deficit. Chairman
    S
    teele ha
    s
    many other i
    s
    s
    ue
    s
    to ta
    k
    e up with the pre
    s
    ident that have to do with policy, not a birth certificate."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
GOP Heads Finally Concede... the Muslim Terrorist President was indeed born in Hawaii and is a US Citizen:

• Last night on his TV show, Bill O'Reilly comprehensively debunked the Birthers: O'Reilly said to a letter-writer who declared himself not convinced that Obama is an American: "That is because you don't want to be convinced, Larry." That's as good a summary of the Birthers' motivations as any other.
  • Even Ann Coulter, who normally can't resist the opportunity to attack Democrats as evil and un-American, calls the Birthers "cranks."
  • Greg Sargent asked RNC chairman Michael Steele's office about his views of Birtherism -- and they unambiguously shot it down:

"Chairman
    S
    teele believe
    s
    that thi
    s
    i
    s
    an unnece
    s
    s
    ary di
    s
    traction and believe
    s
    that the pre
    s
    ident i
    s
    a U.
    S
    . citizen. Chairman
    S
    teele want
    s
    to move beyond thi
    s
    conver
    s
    ation and continue di
    s
    cu
    s
    s
    ing the real and immediate concern
    s
    that face American familie
    s
    li
    k
    e the economy and health care. American
    s
    are concerned with Pre
    s
    ident Obama'
    s
    health care plan, a failed
    s
    timulu
    s
    pac
    k
    age and a ballooning deficit. Chairman
    S
    teele ha
    s
    many other i
    s
    s
    ue
    s
    to ta
    k
    e up with the pre
    s
    ident that have to do with policy, not a birth certificate."

(applause)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
They probably found some polling that showed numbers dipping for politicians that supported the conspiracy.

I'm sure. Frankly though the lies have already had the intended effect so it doesn't matter what they say at this point.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm sure. Frankly though the lies have already had the intended effect so it doesn't matter what they say at this point.

I agree. Conspiracy theories like these worry me.