• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
The logical response to that is to increase airport capacity to actually meet demand.

Except that's expensive and unnecessary. There are a few airports that could use expansion (in particular JFK, LGA, MDW) but by and large that isn't necessary. And since maintaining that kind of rarely used capacity is extremely expensive, that's just another way to make sure airfares go way way higher.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Except that's expensive and unnecessary. There are a few airports that could use expansion (in particular JFK, LGA, MDW) but by and large that isn't necessary. And since maintaining that kind of rarely used capacity is extremely expensive, that's just another way to make sure airfares go way way higher.

That's ok, they can just charge 100$ a bag instead of whatever they charge now.

All fixed.

It's not often I get to cite the Washington Times here, but this seems like a legit scoop. Someone can correct me if it turns out this is more common than they make it appear; as it is the Washington Times, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Steele gone anyway.

Michael S. Steele, Republican National Committee chairman, is using his title to market himself for paid appearances nationwide, personally profiting from speeches with fees of up to $20,000 at colleges, trade associations and other groups - an unusual practice criticized by a string of past party chairmen.

Mr. Steele, elected in January to the $223,500-a-year RNC post, is working with at least four outside agencies in Washington, New York, Boston and Nashville, Tenn., that book the speaking engagements. He charges between $8,000 and $20,000 for an address, plus first-class travel and lodging expenses.

"Holy mackerel, I never heard of a chairman of either party ever taking money for speeches," said Frank J. Fahrenkopf Jr., RNC chairman under President Reagan and CEO of the American Gaming Association.

"The job of a national chairman is to give speeches. That's what the national party pays him for. We didn't have a rule book back then, but being national chairman was and is a full-time job," Mr. Fahrenkopf said.

Former Republican National Committee Chairman Jim Nicholson, who served in that position from 1997 to 2000 and was President George W. Bush's Veterans Affairs secretary from 2005 to 2007, said the job "demands so much of your time that you can work 24/7 and not get everything done, so taking time out to speak for the benefit of one's own bank account is not appropriate."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
It's not often I get to cite the Washington Times here, but this seems like a legit scoop. Someone can correct me if it turns out this is more common than they make it appear; as it is the Washington Times, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Steele gone anyway.

That may very well be the reason he has the time to give speeches. I'd bet he has a lot less to do than the average party chair.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
That's ok, they can just charge 100$ a bag instead of whatever they charge now.

All fixed.

This could be a whole other thread. But flight pricing hasn't gone up if you adjust for inflation in nearly twenty years, despite the cost of business being much, much higher. So things like fees bring in ancillary revenue which make up some of the difference.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

One can only hope. He's a douche.

Link

President Barack Obama scores well among ethics watchdog groups in his first year in office, though they’d still like to see more from the president.

Obama has wielded the power of the White House to craft an executive order that limited lobbyist hires in his administration, push federal agencies to share more of their data with the public and begin releasing visitor records for the executive complex on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

“After the last eight years, it is refreshing to see a president, through his rhetoric and action, who understands the way that the system works is a problem. That just a great place to start with,” said Meredith McGehee, policy director for the Campaign Legal Center.

It’s no surprise Obama has taken a serious view of the issue.

As an senator, Obama championed ethics and transparency. The issue led to the signature legislative accomplishments of his short Senate career — the 2007 ethics bill and a government-spending database he helped create with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Oka.).

Watchdog groups that had clashed with the Bush administration have cheered many of Obama’s moves.

But McGehee said Obama nees to spend more political capital next year on ethics issues, even though this could cause fights with Congress.

“It is like an appetizer. The main course is yet to come,” McGehee said.

Other reform advocates called on Obama to push for public financing of campaigns and to change the dynamic at the Federal Election Commission (FEC). They also said Obama should author an executive order to declassify more information and strengthen ethics enforcement at each agency.

Obama wins the most applause for putting senior aides in place whose primary job is better ethics and transparency in the federal government. The appointees include Norm Eisen, Obama’s Harvard Law School classmate and the administration’s ethics czar who is stationed in the White House Counsel’s office; Beth Noveck, the deputy chief technology officer who is leading the Open Government Initiative; and Vivek Kundra, the chief information officer.

How dare the Dixie Chicks bash the President during a time of war! And to do so while not even inside this country, that's despicable.

Oh wait, not the Dixie Chicks, the Nuge. Everyone knows he loves America, he's a-ok.

"I think that Barack Hussein Obama should be put in jail. It is clear that Barack Hussein Obama is a communist.

"(Former Chinese leader) Mao Tse Tung lives and his name is Barack Hussein Obama. This country should be ashamed. I wanna throw up.

Thankfully, I'm sure the same liberal media that crucified a band that said they were embarrassed GWB was from Texas will absolutely destroy him, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
How dare the Dixie Chicks bash the President during a time of war! And to do so while not even inside this country, that's despicable.

Oh wait, not the Dixie Chicks, the Nuge. Everyone knows he loves America, he's a-ok.

Thankfully, I'm sure the same liberal media that crucified a band that said they were embarrassed GWB was from Texas will absolutely destroy him, right?

I hope conservatives burn his records like they did Dixie Chicks. Just to get rid of his music would be nice.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
Rush Limbaugh in the hospital due to karma.

This can't be, he's at a hospital in Hawai'i? Why that's impossible. Only a crazed, America hating liberal punk would vacation in a fancy foreign country like that.

On CNN [yesterday] morning, host John Roberts asked former Romney spokesman Kevin Madden about the hypocritical "heat for this president from the Republicans" regarding the Obama administration's response to the attempted Christmas day terrorist attack. Madden claimed that the two reasons Republicans were launching attacks were that Obama "has very little political capital" on terrorism and that he is "on vacation in Hawaii" at the moment. Madden added that "Hawaii to many Americans seems like a foreign place."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

I love the headline, first thing you see after clickign the link:

TED NUGENT - NUGENT: 'OBAMA SHOULD BE JAILED'

:lolhitting

If he responds I'm sure he'll say he was kidding. It sure doesn't seem like he was.

Brit Hume had some advice for Tiger Woods during this week's "Fox News Sunday." Woods will recover as a golfer, Hume says, but it remains to be seen whether he will recover as a person.

"He's said to be a Buddhist," Hume said. "I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. ... Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery."

Video at link.