Bears going to the Super Bowl?

Bears | T. Harris predicts Super Bowl

Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:31:48 -0700

The NFL Network reports Chicago Bears DL Tommie Harris feels the defense has the capabilities to be the best in the league and predicts the team going to the Super Bowl.

:lolhitting

Oops, somebody move this to the SLAM forum.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Why not? Defense is HALF the Battle. IF (and that is a very possible if) the Bears have the # 1 ranked D in 2008 they are going to be 9-7 or 10-6 at the very worst.

Too many NFL fans (and I blame fantasy football for this) are too in love with offense and forget defense.

Don't forget, the Bears will have a strong Special teams unit too.

I am fine with the offense if the Oline improves. That is my current biggest concern. Too bad most NFL fans don't realize it all starts at the Line. They buy into the Media QB hype.

We all seen good rex with a good line and bad rex with a bad line. Anyone remember Tom Brady during last years superbowl? He looked horrible because NE lost the battle at the Line.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Yeah. LOL @ an NFL player for being confident and believing in his team. What a joke.

First off, you can believe in a team, but don't make predictions like this. If Chad Johnson would have come out and said something like this everyone would be ripping on him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
First off, you can believe in a team, but don't make predictions like this. If Chad Johnson would have come out and said something like this everyone would be ripping on him.

However, if Chad Johnson's team had been to the super bowl 2 years ago you might be more inclined to believe it. Hell, you could hear a guy in Seattle or Carolina or Philadelphia say it and it wouldn't sound so shocking coming from them either.

I would hope the players are always confident in themselves and their teammates. I dont think they have a prayer in hell of even making the playoffs this year personally. With Grossman or Orton at QB it is pretty much impossible anyway.

QUOTE (feistyboy @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)
I would hope the players are always confident in themselves and their teammates. I dont think they have a prayer in hell of even making the playoffs this year personally. With Grossman or Orton at QB it is pretty much impossible anyway.

I know, I totally agree, it's not like it's ever been done with either of them at QB.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)

lol what's he supposed to say in response to a question like that? "Nah we're not that good, I think we're an 8-8 team at best"

It trips me out when people laugh at NFL players who say they believe in their teammates and that their team is good.

I would like to hear the quote verbatum. Cause if it's Harris saying "We are a good team, our defense is great and I think we can go to the Super Bowl" then it's no biggie, but it sounds stupid if he flat up said "We are going to the Super Bowl." I can't really judge the comment unless I hear it in context.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
lol what's he supposed to say in response to a question like that? "Nah we're not that good, I think we're an 8-8 team at best"

It trips me out when people laugh at NFL players who say they believe in their teammates and that their team is good.

As far as we know from that quote I posted, nobody asked him a question, maybe he just came out and said it.

You can believe in your team without saying you're going to the Super Bowl. Instead, you can say something like "I think we have a group of talented guy, our defense is great, and I think we can prove the critics wrong".

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:28 AM)
As far as we know from that quote I posted, nobody asked him a question, maybe he just came out and said it.

You can believe in your team without saying you're going to the Super Bowl. Instead, you can say something like "I think we have a group of talented guy, our defense is great, and I think we can prove the critics wrong".

lol yeah he just walked up to a reporter and grabbed his recorder and said that, or randomly blurted it out during an interview. Okay.

If a professional athlete isn't thinking about the championship, something is wrong with him. Cedric Benson probably wasn't and seemed to be focused on his bank account. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. I don't care if it's Jon Kitna (although it's the Lions) or Donte Whitner (who said something similar).

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)

Yeah, but only because he wanted the f*** out of Dodge before saying that, not for the statement itself.

With a great defense and Hester, the Bears offense should have some great field position this year. They won't have to be all that stellar to put points on the board. I'd rather have Harris think the Bears were going to the Super Bowl than think they will be in 3rd or 4th place in the division.

We all laughed when KW said Detriot getting Miggy Cabrera put them in a better position to compete with the White Sox...

With a great defense and Hester, the Bears offense should have some great field position this year. They won't have to be all that stellar to put points on the board. I'd rather have Harris think the Bears were going to the Super Bowl than think they will be in 3rd or 4th place in the division.

They had fantastic field position all last year and were still god awful.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
We all laughed when KW said Detriot getting Miggy Cabrera put them in a better position to compete with the White Sox...

7-9 with NO Line that resulted in poor running and poor passing games. A defense that was about 60% at best. With a improved line and healthy D I like the Bears Chances in the NFC.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)

It's all about the O-line. Last year's was just plain bad, among the worst in the league.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
It's all about the O-line. Last year's was just plain bad, among the worst in the league.

This year's line still has some gapping holes even if Chris Williams can step it up from the first game. Add to that what looks like a bad WR, bad QB (but which bad QB will get the job?!), and very questionable running game, and you're left with a pretty bad offense still.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
This year's line still has some gapping holes even if Chris Williams can step it up from the first game. Add to that what looks like a bad WR, bad QB (but which bad QB will get the job?!), and very questionable running game, and you're left with a pretty bad offense still.

Adding Williams and moving Tait to the right immediately upgrades our tackles immensely. The guards are still a question mark but we might not be done making moves yet and St. Clair showed some promise at the end of the year. Losing Berrian hurts but not as much as people think. He isnt even close to being a legit number one WR. Moose was garbage for us last year and his drops had gotten so bad its no wonder our offense could never convert on third downs. The WR corps will be interesting but I think Hester can be comporable to what Berrian did stretching the field wise and Booker is comparable to Moose with better hands. Lloyd is a question mark but from what weve heard he looks really good. (Yes I know they say that about everyone every year) I think Bennett will turn a lot of heads and will be exactly the type of WR we have needed for a few years. We know what we have in Davis for the most part and I think Bradley has underachieved and still has the potential to be a good number 2 caliber wide out.

The running game will be interesting but one thing I like is that with the guys we have I dont think we will have to worry about any of them not giving all their effort. If Jones can stay healthy he was the steal of the off season and will be the perfect compliment to Fortes style of running. AP can revert to his 3rd string role and special teams ace and Wolfe can audition to play the elf in Bad Santa 2.

The defense is going to be as dominant as ever for however long they can remain healthy, whether it be one week or 20 weeks. I think losing Ayanbadejo sp? will hurt more than most people do but as a whole, from the return game, to punting team to field goal unit our special teams is by far the best in the business. When our defense was healthy in 05 they were winning with absolutely no offense, except clock eating running plays with no scoring and less of a special team unit. If the O line cant give Grossman time to utilize his strengths like going down field than we saw what Orton did in 05 so he can manage the games and try to let our defense win games for us. We will also have amazing field position all year because teams are definitely not going to kick to Hester with not much of an offensive threat, so if we can not turn the ball over on in their territory and keep their offense pinned for our defense to tee off on they can have success.

Another thing I like is that they will be flying under the radar. There arent going to be many people picking them to finish higher than third in the division so they wont have the bullseye on their back like they did last year. If they go back to running the ball and playing defense and minimizing mistakes they will shock a lot of people. The two "top" teams in our division are severely overrated IMO. Minnesota wont do anything with Jackson. The secrets out on AP, teams have had a whole year and an off season to scheme about shutting him down and cutting off his cutback lanes which is how he torched so many teams. Assuming Favre doesnt play Ryan Grant will become an average back at best. Teams couldnt stack the box with Favre at QB so he had a lot of lanes. I know they have a good line and solid defense but their offensive skill players are nothing special with Rodgers, Grant and Driver and Jennings.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)

There really is only one gaping hole on the offensive line and that is at LG. Garza is a league average player who isn't as bad as some fans make him out to be. Williams is a question mark but only because he's a rookie. Dumping Fred Miller was addition by subtraction.

Edited by lostfan