Konerko to "get some rest for awhile"

Steve9347

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have aleardy been covered, but I examined a few non-traditional stats on Konerko in an effort to identify any major difference in his hitting between this year other seasons (beyond the obvious measurements).

Here is the site:

http://www.statcorner.com/

All I could see is that he is swinging and missing a lot more (DUH!) - 21.2% of the time, which is 4% increase over his average for the past 6 years (17.2%), and he is hitting a lot more ground balls (44.2% vs 6 year avg of 37.9%, an increase of 6.3%) than fly balls (28.5% vs 6 year avg of 33.6%, a decrease of 5.1%) when compared to previous seasons.

I'm not sure how much of this can be attributed to his injury, but it is what it is, I guess.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)
so, konerko's heating up apparently.

could it be that the griffey trade was kw's elaborate plot to motivate paul konerko?

genius.

I disagree, since I added my avatar Paulie has been on the upswing. It was all me plain and simple...

Just heard Paulie's postgame interview on Royals radio. He laughed said we have "too many hitters we don't know what to do with 'em all. We got guys on the bench who'd be playing for almost any team."

Everybod lauds Swish's personality. I like Paulie's personality as well.

I was really convinced that Paulie was irrevocably broken for the 2008 season. He's still looking a lot worse at 1st base then he used to defensively, but he's really hitting the ball hard this month and showing signs of coming out of his season long funk. And if Paulie hits like he's capable of the rest of the way, our offense is going to be perhaps the best in all of baseball, and if not that certainly in the top 3. That would be a huge plus to say the least, because our pitching is a bit hot and cold and we need to score runs to win this division.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
People overreact way too much around here.

I agree with this, but not on Paulie they (well, I did it too so we) didn't. He has (and still does) show diminished ability on defense, and he simply did not hit the ball a lick for four months. That is reason to panic, but he's finally coming around it looks like at the dish.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
I wouldn't call that overreacting though.

I'd have to agree with that as well. I'm a huge Paulie supporter but I wasn't against benching him. I just wasn't about to say his career is over. All players go through ups and downs, sometimes for a whole season...a lot of people can't grasp that about baseball though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
People overreact way too much around here.

Not really. Paulie was f'n awful for most of the season and hasn't exactly been putting up Quentin- or JD-like numbers over the past couple of weeks.

That said, I'm glad that he's hitting again.