Konerko to "get some rest for awhile"

Steve9347

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
I think it is still a little early to believe Konerko's career is almost over, or that he will drop off that steeply. I believe some rest will work wonders.

i do agree that i don't believe yet that he is just done. people said at the beginning of the year that his hand injury is one that would linger all season long. maybe that's a factor, maybe not. plus, paulie is wound pretty tight. he's a work-harder, try-harder kind of guy when things aren't going well. that can work against you in baseball so maybe it is good for him to get away and step away for a bit.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
I said last night that PK should get another start to see if he can build on his two good at-bats to end the game.

I agree, I thought I saw a different approach the last couple at bats last night. I'd rather give him the rest of this series, then consider benching him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Things are getting scary with how depleted our lineup/rotation/bullpen appear.

Liney, JC and Crede are injured, so there are those depletions. But Fields, Richard and Wassermann are not the worst replacements you could have, short term. I wouldn't say its scary, or terribly depleted, just yet. Now, if some or all of those three aren't back and healthy by early to mid August, then I worry about depletion.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Nobody commenting on the fact that Konerko hit the ball pretty hard last night in a couple of at-bats, eh?

We've been saying that all year. "Oh, well his outs are hard-hit, maybe he's coming around." After a while it doesn't carry weight anymore.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
We've been saying that all year. "Oh, well his outs are hard-hit, maybe he's coming around." After a while it doesn't carry weight anymore.

I hate to break it to people, but the Sox aren't likely going anywhere this season unless PK can get back on track. Anderson and Wise have shown some flashes this season, but a team with those guys in CF and Swisher at 1B will not hold off the Twins and Tigers.

Edited by fathom

I still think this quote was the pre-game quote Ozzie had when he said Konerko would be given several days off if he determines it necessary he get taken out of the line-up. He mentioned he would clear his mind and take a lot of extra BP. I wouldn't be surprised if Paulie is in the line-up tonight, much to the dismay of most of the posters of this site.

I love Ozzie:

Guillen said he would "hydrate" before deciding whether to start first baseman Paul Konerko on Wednesday. Konerko, mired in a 1-for-15 slump, lined out and hit a sharp single to center Tuesday night.

"I like it," Guillen said. "That's what we want from him, to give us good at-bats and see what happens. I hate players who make $100 million and feel sorry for themselves when my dad still has to work. Just go out there and relax, you're good. And they're in the big leagues for a reason.

"I told them to enjoy themselves. You never know. This could be the last pennant race in your life. Enjoy it when you've got it."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I hate to break it to people, but the Sox aren't likely going anywhere this season unless PK can get back on track. Anderson and Wise have shown some flashes this season, but a team with those guys in CF and Swisher at 1B will not hold off the Twins and Tigers.

Exactly. Well said.

It's easy to tell when Konerko is starting to come around. It's the same pattern every year:

(1) He starts to walk as much or more than he strikes out (he's seeing the ball better)

(2) He goes deeper into counts in at-bats (takes borderline pitches rather than swing at them; or is fouling off pitches rather than missing them.)

(3) He starts hitting the ball very hard (rather than hitting weak grounders or pop-ups)

If we see signs of those things coming around, we have to play him. The upside potential of him getting into a groove for August/September is worth the risk.

If he continues to do the opposite of those 3 things (which has been been the case most of the year)... then bench him.

But him tagging the ball last night in a couple at-bats is a good sign.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
It's sad he's fallen this far from the player he was in the 2005 playoffs.

We just had to re-sign him though.

Yeah, we did. And he was pretty f'n productive prior to the 2005 playoffs, not to mention hitting .313 and putting up a .932 OPS in the first year of that big contract and not exactly sucking last season either.

Give the guy a break, he's playing through an injury. We've seen this before (2003) and he managed to bounce back.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
i find it funny that everyone believes "The Sox need Konerko healthy and performing to be competitive this year"

+1

The Sox have an assload of talent in their lineup, along with a better defensive option at 1B. If Paulie needs to split time with Swisher at 1B or sit on the DL for a while, so be it. There's more than enough power in the lineup to make up for his absence. The Sox have much bigger problems in Crede and Contreras being hurt, along with a probable necessary shutdown of Danks in September.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Swisher's OPS is not up to par for a 1B, but it significantly higher than Konerko's.

Hell, Brian Anderson's OPS is higher than Konerko's.

For someone that consistently bats 6th I'd rather have a higher batting average. The 6 slot in the lineup is pretty much your last batter in the heart of your lineup. I don't care if he might get a few more walks if we need to rely on the bottom of the order to knock him in. He's supposed to be the one knocking in runs.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
i'm guessing Ozz Jr. made the comment

That's not the way it's printed. Give your dad some scratch, Ozzie! How much of that $23 million he made while playing do you think he still has sitting around?

Note: I am mostly kidding around. It may very well be that Ozzie's dad doesn't want his money.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

Paulie is going to get every chance in the world to snap out of his funk. The sox probably can't make the playoffs w/o Paulie carrying his weight offensively [as guys like Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Alexei will probably see their numbers drop]. Unless these guys keep up their hitting, and Joe, Swisher, and Thome get hot, the sox will need PK's bat. They certainly need a less intense PK, w/o all the bat throwing, and yelling at himself.

I don't think PK will sit for long if at all. I could see him getting an extra day off at least 1, 2 times a week though, if he's still struggling.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Paulie is going to get every chance in the world to snap out of his funk. The sox probably can't make the playoffs w/o Paulie carrying his weight offensively [as guys like Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Alexei will probably see their numbers drop]. Unless these guys keep up their hitting, and Joe, Swisher, and Thome get hot, the sox will need PK's bat. They certainly need a less intense PK, w/o all the bat throwing, and yelling at himself.

I don't think PK will sit for long if at all. I could see him getting an extra day off at least 1, 2 times a week though, if he's still struggling.

Seriously? Thome has been right up there with CQ and JD for the past 2 months.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
He can't pinch hit? Not sure I understand that.

Maybe he means since he's getting benched due to his inability to hit, he isn't an ideal pinch hitting candidate.